Help me understand

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm
I can't see the games here in Greece so i don't know whats wrong with us. Is it the injuries or something else? Please help me understand.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:09 pm
There's nothing wrong, your government is just trying to protect you from the horror going on here.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 pm
In few words... we suck.

Now more detailed:

1.- Injuries are killing us.
2.- We cannot win on the road. Seriously. If we had to play 10 games in Atlanta, we'd lose 9.
3.- No defense. None at all.
4.- Not a really developed half-court offense. Some players just love to jack up shots no matter if they're falling or not...
5.- Biedrins doesn't have any help on the boards (a bit from Powell, but he doesn't play much).
6.- Pietrus has been certified as the anti-Dunleavy. Lots of potential... hampered by the lowest IQ (bball IQ, that is) of the league.

... (I could go on and on, but this is depressing... you get the idea)

btw, before you kill yourself, there are good news too, like the way Ellis and Biedrins have evolved this season. You just asked for the reason we're having another losing season...
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:20 pm
chrisandtimburger wrote:There's nothing wrong, your government is just trying to protect you from the horror going on here.

lol lol lol :D :D :D :D

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 pm
TMC has most of it. But he forgot coaching.

I'm pretty sure Nellie just signed as coach for the floor seats. He doesn't call plays, doesn't get riled up, doesn't do anything. And half time seems to be for drinking, because there sure isn't any game adjustment.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 pm
Nah, TMC got it right. Nelly's doing all he can, drazz. The guy doesn't have Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes, or Josh Powell. He's missing 4 guys out of his regular rotation.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 pm
Wait.

Did you just say Barnes and Powell are part of the regular rotation?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:30 pm
You don't think Matt Barnes is part of his regular rotation...? The guy's averaging 25 minutes a game on the season (not to mention, 33 MPG in December and 31 MPG in January). That's definately role-player minutes.

Powell might not be apart of the regular rotation... but his loss definately hurts, especially when the team's short-handed anyways.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 pm
sometimes i question nellie... when the other team is on like a 10-0 run hes sitting down when he should be calling a timeout to get the team fired up. he just doesnt seem there at all sometimes...

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:45 pm
32 wrote:Nah, TMC got it right. Nelly's doing all he can, drazz. The guy doesn't have Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes, or Josh Powell. He's missing 4 guys out of his regular rotation.

I don't think it is fair to mention Barnes and Powells injury as part of the slide because they just got hurt. The Warriors were choking long before that. plus Bsrnes numbers and minutes drastically reduced after the trade. Invalid points you made this time 32.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:02 pm
If you read the thread, you'd see I credit TMC's reasons for Golden State's slide. drazz bashed Nelly and I simply retorted, regarding Golden State's woefully small bench these days. Regardless of the talent level of Barnes or Powell, no one can deny that the lack of a bench is hurting Golden State (if you even WATCHED the game yesterday, you know that... they were within 4 points of the Bulls when fatigue set in). Having a warm body to rest Monta, Jason, or Harrington every once and a while would be nice. I'd probably not call it Golden State's most pressing need (the inability to win on the road or back-to-back stands out the most, to me).

Hardly invalid, but your opinion's your opinion, I guess, Reggie. For some reason, you think I attack you on a daily basis, so you'll root against me in a thread.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:38 am
chrisandtimburger wrote:There's nothing wrong, your government is just trying to protect you from the horror going on here.

:mrgreen:

Like something the ottoman empire would produce

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:40 am
drazz wrote:TMC has most of it. But he forgot coaching.

I'm pretty sure Nellie just signed as coach for the floor seats. He doesn't call plays, doesn't get riled up, doesn't do anything. And half time seems to be for drinking, because there sure isn't any game adjustment.

Nelson is getting paid a truckload! That fact must make losing not hurt so much for him

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 am
32 wrote:Hardly invalid, but your opinion's your opinion, I guess, Reggie. For some reason, you think I attack you on a daily basis, so you'll root against me in a thread.

Not really 32. I actually enjoy reading your opinions. I have no beef with you at all. I just commented on your comment to the other guys about the Warriora injuries are why they are losing. I just wanted to point out that Barnes and Powells injuries are very new. The Warriors slide started long before that.

Injuries are no excuse. As a matter of fact, injury excuses are for losers. Everyone can play the injury card. The good teams prepare for injuries. the problem with the Warriors is that their starters are actually back-up people. ie: Harrington. What position does he play? A weak 4 or a big 3? Same with Pietrus. When Pietrus is your starting defender on Nowitski you have a problem. Biedrins, bless his heart, he is constantly over powered by the big bulky centers in the league. Bogut looked like the 2nd coming of Wilt against him. J-Ricjh at the 3? The guy is down to 215 pounds. It goes on and on. Oh yeah , one more Powell 6'9" at the 5?

The Warriors are missing a stud, they have been missing a stud for a long time. Until we get a stud at ANY position we will continue to be a mediocre team. My opinion, Monta is the closest thing to a stud the Warriors have. Forget Baron, he's to injury prone to even be considered here.

I look forward to your comments 32. You're alright with me :)
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:13 am
Alright, 32, I will put down what I think Nellie's deficiencies are, and, if you disagree, you can show me where he is doing a good job. I will preface this with the same thing I said originally; TMC's list is accurate, including our need to have at least three players either inactive of too hampered by injury to truely play. JRich, BD, SJax, nearly everyone.

Nellie issues:

--no defense. Of course, a lot of the play is individualized, especially when we play man defense. Nellie did try to minimize this, and would switch between man and zone early in the year, but now he relies on the zone too much. And he certainly does not seem to have taught it well. Miller for 45? Career day for Sefolosha? That means no adjustment from Nellie. (Yes, BD and SJax are some of our best, but we were still losing with them in the game.)

--No game adjustment. The game plan does not seem to change based on opponent. Its just, "Go run." And, no half-time adjustment. Take the Bulls game again. Bulls up 4 at the half, then pull off a 33-11 3rd quarter, based on exploiting the weaknesses they have found, while the W's just continue to chuck the ball when they have no open break.

--no half court offense. Sorry, can't play in the league without a half court offense. Mavs are a run team, but have a strong 1/2; same with the Suns. The only 1/2 play I have seen run regularly, is a pick and roll with Biedrins. Nice play, but its can't be the only thing. (Yes, BD back will help, but teh W's were not too successful here with him around either)

--erratic substitutions. Some days, Nellie only seems to play the starters, leaving them to run out of gas, and almost never subbing. Other days, he seems to throw new guys in with no thought to the combos on the floor. I cannot determine any kind of pattern he might be using, other than who he has friendly feeling for that day. (YEs, injuries dictate SOME of this.)

--degrading players. I have NEVER seen a coach insult his players as much as Nellie. It CAN be a motivational tool when used right, but we hve a very young team, and I see the verbal abuse effect them. ("Azibuke? I thought Mullin asked if I wanted a sambuko." What a way to introduce one of the hottest D-league players to your team and the NBA.

--no energy. Nellie looks dead, or dead drunk. He doesn't energize the players; doesn't show any sense of urgency during the game. Ever see him get a technical? Plenty of coaches will do so to get the palyers motivated.

Now, I had high hopes when I heard he was taking over the team. Maybe he hasn't had the time to work with the players the way he wants, as he was hired late in the summer. Clearly, he has not had a full team the entire season, and that makes getting the players to work together difficult. But, it seems pretty clear to me that his coaching style is NOT helping the team. Therefore, he is one of the problems.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball