Game Thread: Warriors @ Milwaukee Bucks 2007-02-27

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will the Warriors have more success on this road trip?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:10 pm

YES
44%
NO
56%

Total votes : 9

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:10 am
Chi-Tom, I understand your pessimism, and share it. However, to single out Harrington as rubbish is baffling to me. He scored 15 points last night with 5 boards on 7-16, He is a good 3rd option being asked right now to be a first option. He should actually be fourth behind Jrich, Monta, and BD (and even Sjax on the nights he has it going on.) I don't have to remind you that the guy we traded him for, Murphy, scored 2 points and 6 boards. Harrington is no Amare or Elton or Randolph or Garnett, but rubbish he is not. He is a mid-level player on a mediocre team...without BD there are no playoffs for the ws, and with him they are a weak 8th seed. I repeat, blow up the team other than Monta and AB (who was pretty awful last night, btw), since this group will never be credible contenders. I would keep JRich, Powell, Jackson and Harrington of the rest, but definitely try to move BD for some value, since he can't seem to stay healthy for more than 50-60 games.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:01 am
I stand corrected that Harrington is NOT rubbish. That was definitely a bit harsh. I just do not like his game and I do not like what he brings to the table right now for the Warriors.

I am still happy about the trade, but Harrington is not that great of a player. He is one of the more inconsistent players on the team and his rebounding and defense are just attrocious at this point. When he is hitting his shots he contributes. But if not, he may as well be on the bench because he does not give the Warriors much else.

I said this back when the Pacers played the Warriors back in December when people were asking for Harrington back then.....Harrington is a good player that will never be on a winning team. He puts up great stats for mediocre teams. Put him on a good team ala Shareef Abdru-Rahim and his numbers will plummet.

Perhaps I am singling him out and being a bit hard on him, but I do not think Harrington is a winner. There is a reason he has gone from team to team over his career and it is because he offers very little to a team other than scoring and even scoring is not consistent from him.

Harrington is a microcosm of the problems the Warriors face. There is no such thing as a bad shot and his defense and rebounding are lost at sea somewhere. For a player with the physique and athleticism that he has, there is no reason he should not be putting forth more effort on the defensive end of the floor.

I do not think he is being asked to do too much at all. I think Nellie needs to talk to the players and talk about roles on the team. Al should be a #3 or #4 option on this team. Unfortunately he seems to take it upon himself to be the #1 option all too often and that is annoying to watch, particularly when his shooting is off.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:34 am
I hear you, Chi-Tom. Ideally, harrington is 3rd or 4th option. With a healthy BD and a Jrich on his game, he will be. Right now, Jrich is still finding his groove (encouraging signs, he will be back within 5-6 games) and BD is gone. The problem is, barnes and pietrus have been woefully inconsistent, too, and Biedrins has looked lost lately on offense, so other than Monta, harrington and jax have been the only credible options. When harrington is a 3rd or 4th option, he gets far less attention and can nicely give 15-20 points. Now, he is a focus, and doesn't have the chops for that.

ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 am
coltraning wrote:I hear you, Chi-Tom. Ideally, harrington is 3rd or 4th option. With a healthy BD and a Jrich on his game, he will be. Right now, Jrich is still finding his groove (encouraging signs, he will be back within 5-6 games) and BD is gone. The problem is, barnes and pietrus have been woefully inconsistent, too, and Biedrins has looked lost lately on offense, so other than Monta, harrington and jax have been the only credible options. When harrington is a 3rd or 4th option, he gets far less attention and can nicely give 15-20 points. Now, he is a focus, and doesn't have the chops for that.

I just hope when the entire team is healthy that Al will accept his role as being the third or fourth option on offense. He seems to like to jack up a lot of bad shots. Perhaps, as you mentioned, that is because the injuries are forcing him to take more shots than he should be taking.

Regardless, I hope Al can learn his role on this team and flourish in the system. There is still time for that to happen I just happen to be a bit down on his play lately. Perhaps I am just using him as a scapegoat. All players on the Warriors have things they need to work on though. No one is immune to criticism.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:56 am
ChicagoTom wrote:
coltraning wrote:I hear you, Chi-Tom. Ideally, harrington is 3rd or 4th option. With a healthy BD and a Jrich on his game, he will be. Right now, Jrich is still finding his groove (encouraging signs, he will be back within 5-6 games) and BD is gone. The problem is, barnes and pietrus have been woefully inconsistent, too, and Biedrins has looked lost lately on offense, so other than Monta, harrington and jax have been the only credible options. When harrington is a 3rd or 4th option, he gets far less attention and can nicely give 15-20 points. Now, he is a focus, and doesn't have the chops for that.

I just hope when the entire team is healthy that Al will accept his role as being the third or fourth option on offense. He seems to like to jack up a lot of bad shots. Perhaps, as you mentioned, that is because the injuries are forcing him to take more shots than he should be taking.

Regardless, I hope Al can learn his role on this team and flourish in the system. There is still time for that to happen I just happen to be a bit down on his play lately. Perhaps I am just using him as a scapegoat. All players on the Warriors have things they need to work on though. No one is immune to criticism.

agreed, chi-tom. Their zone D is horrific, they cannot rebound and they seem to not even be able to pronounce 1/2 court offense. 2 of those 3 are addressable by the coaching staff. If my 14-year-old son knows how to move without the ball and pass to the open man, I think dudes making 5 million a year can do it. And as for zone, it is pathetic. One play yesterday I watched 2 unattended bucks stand over by the near side (TV-wise) 3, without a w within 10 feet of them. Of course they scored the uncontested 3. I think when the ws play zone, they are referring to the twilight zone.

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 pm
coltraning wrote:If my 14-year-old son knows how to move without the ball and pass to the open man, I think dudes making 5 million a year can do it.

Your 14-years-old son doesn't have an ego that tells him not to do so...
Previous

Return to Game Threads