Monta missing layups

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 pm
I wonder if those three injuries/scares have put a little fear in Monta going to the hole lately. He's missing layups and turning down drives that he easily would have converted earlier in the year. Naturally it's moreso against a dominant inside presense like Brand today, but that never used to bother him.

I realize he's now trying to pass the ball more, but when he's within 8 feet of the basket and dribbling the ball, most times he should just go up and take the foul like he was doing earlier.

Please Lord, don't let Monta get scared of driving and finishing.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2557
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:45 pm
I was happy about him passing on shots he normally would have gotten a turnover on; he's becoming a point guard.

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 pm
I think he'smissing layups because he is moving a little bit too fast. He'll be OK. I'm more concerned with the high turnover rate by Jackson and Harrington.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 449
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:55 pm
the samething happen to me i just think that hes thinking to much when try to make a layup

Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:59 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I was happy about him passing on shots he normally would have gotten a turnover on; he's becoming a point guard.


If he's inside of 8 feet and has the second highest shooting % of non-centers on the team, why should he pass it all the way back out to someone with a much lower shooting percentage (Davis, Harrington, Jackson, JRich)? He's got the best chance of not only scoring, but getting fouled.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2557
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:52 pm
jsw548 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I was happy about him passing on shots he normally would have gotten a turnover on; he's becoming a point guard.


If he's inside of 8 feet and has the second highest shooting % of non-centers on the team, why should he pass it all the way back out to someone with a much lower shooting percentage (Davis, Harrington, Jackson, JRich)? He's got the best chance of not only scoring, but getting fouled.

FG% is a total un-weighted sum that takes into account every shot taken. Open shots by their very nature have a higher chance of going in than contested shots. The plays I saw him passing from today were mainly ones where he was going to get blocked or miss badly if he shot them.

Rookie
Posts: 108
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:17 pm
when he misses those layups i notice hes running full speed and it looks like its making him go a a little too much out of control causing him to throw up the ball differently which he misses
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21850
» Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:29 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
jsw548 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I was happy about him passing on shots he normally would have gotten a turnover on; he's becoming a point guard.


If he's inside of 8 feet and has the second highest shooting % of non-centers on the team, why should he pass it all the way back out to someone with a much lower shooting percentage (Davis, Harrington, Jackson, JRich)? He's got the best chance of not only scoring, but getting fouled.

FG% is a total un-weighted sum that takes into account every shot taken. Open shots by their very nature have a higher chance of going in than contested shots. The plays I saw him passing from today were mainly ones where he was going to get blocked or miss badly if he shot them.



If he is passing on very highly contested shots, against a very good shot blocker, it is understandable and good to see him pass more now. You do have to take it to the opposition's inside players sometimes to draw fouls but that is not just the job of the PG, guys like SJackson and JRich should be doing that often
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:30 am
Simple answer. He's fast as hell and can sometimes get out of control. I love the speed, but he needs to learn how to control himself at times, that's all.

All Star
Posts: 1218
» Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:43 am
The Ws as a team seem to have a problem finishing. Even Davis will make a great drive, using his strength to get to the rim, and then just flip up a surprisingly lazy-looking shot and miss out on the chance for a three-point play. Others do about the same thing. It is a weakness, like rebounding, that is shared by most of the team.

All Star
Posts: 1128
» Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 am
i agree we dont have very good inside finishers. harrington, davis, richardson, everyone really, we probably miss more layups than any other nba team. as far as ellis goes, im not concerned, he gets more 3 point play opportunities and usually if he misses he usually is fouled, even if the ref doesnt call it.

he's going to be a star and in 6 weeks his #'s as far as assists to turnover ratio has completely reversed. that is so impressive considering his age, and how fast he's soaking up the experience like a sponge. im giddy at how good he's going to be in 2 more years. same with biedrins.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:26 pm
Yeah, it seems as if Jackson misses at least 2-3 layups a game. I don't know what it is. Maybe the lack of concentration at the end or they aren't laying it off the right angle.

Monta and Biedrins are learning well. Once Biedrins learns to stay down rather than having the tendency of blocking it all the time which sometimes gets him into the foul trouble, then he'll be getting the minutes I'd come to expect. I can't wait to see what he looks like in his prime... that is if he's still here. As for Monta, I can do the whole Gilbert Arenas transformation so long he passes it also.

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:20 am
Monta [i]just started[/i ]missing lay ups. He is an excellent finisher. I wish I could say the same about Jackson and Harrington. Jackson's problem is that he has no hops. Harrington has no heart. I can live with Monta missing an occasional lay-up or two. I can't live with Jackson and Harrington high turnover rate.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:44 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Monta [i]just started[/i ]missing lay ups. He is an excellent finisher. I wish I could say the same about Jackson and Harrington. Jackson's problem is that he has no hops. Harrington has no heart. I can live with Monta missing an occasional lay-up or two. I can't live with Jackson and Harrington high turnover rate.

Harrington misses lay-ups because he's looking for contact; rather than focusing on making the shot. I don't think Jackson misses as many as you think, though...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest