Al Harrington
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 18

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 am
Why run the half-court through any particular player? All that does is slow things down.

The Ws need to run a fast and furious half-court that is an extension of the fast break. Whoever has the ball needs to get it into circulation fast and everyone needs to be in motion, screening and cutting.

The Suns do this well. You do not see them standing around. If their fast break is thwarted, they just go into the offense without a pause. The opponents don't have time to regroup or rest.

Waiting for any particular player to get open and running a play off of him takes too long. The Ws strength is having a lot of scorers, so get them moving and create space and passing lanes.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 am
carlgo wrote:Why run the half-court through any particular player? All that does is slow things down.

The Ws need to run a fast and furious half-court that is an extension of the fast break. Whoever has the ball needs to get it into circulation fast and everyone needs to be in motion, screening and cutting.

The Suns do this well. You do not see them standing around. If their fast break is thwarted, they just go into the offense without a pause. The opponents don't have time to regroup or rest.

Waiting for any particular player to get open and running a play off of him takes too long. The Ws strength is having a lot of scorers, so get them moving and create space and passing lanes.

a fast and furious half-court offense??? what the heck is that???

you run through a particular player b/c games aren't 100% transition and fast break.

free-lance & continuity motion offenses don't work in the NBA...first, all the defense has to do is switch every screen. second, with the 24 second shot clock, that's not enough time to work for a shot simply by 'moving...and creating space and passing lanes.'

the suns don't do this...THYE RUN THEIR OFFENSE THROUGH NASH...they run pick-n-rolls to death and only when nash penetrates and puts pressure of the defense and the ball gets kicked out does the sharing of the ball occur.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 am
carlgo wrote:Why run the half-court through any particular player? All that does is slow things down.

you run through a particular player b/c games aren't 100% transition and fast break.

free-lance & continuity motion offenses don't work in the NBA...first, all the defense has to do is switch every screen. second, with the 24 second shot clock, that's not enough time to work for a shot simply by 'moving...and creating space and passing lanes.'

the suns don't do this...THYE RUN THEIR OFFENSE THROUGH NASH...they run pick-n-rolls to death and only when nash penetrates and puts pressure of the defense and the ball gets kicked out does the sharing of the ball occur.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm
aletha33 wrote:

I took a little liberty with the fast and furious thing. Just call it quick and focused. Sure, it usually goes thru Nash as it should. He gets it going quickly. Picks, rolls, screens, back doors, penetrations and kick-outs, the Suns do it quickly. There is no pounding, no passes that do not have a purpose and no standing around.

Motion here just means moving. Not to be confused with so-called motion offenses seen at the high school and college level with players endlessly circling around. You are right to say that obsolete offense would not work in the NBA.

I think you would agree that the Suns get into their half-court more quickly and with more focused "motion" than the Ws do. And the way they do it there is no problem with the clock. They probably use less clock than anyone.

The Ws, due to their sluggish half-court offense, are often seen firing up desperation threes as the clock runs out.

Everyone here harps on the Ws problems with rebounding, defense, bad shot selection and such. I just have been focusing on the half-court which I do not think is in tune with the skills of the W players. Nelson should kick it up a notch.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 am
carlgo wrote:I think you would agree that the Suns get into their half-court more quickly and with more focused "motion" than the Ws do. And the way they do it there is no problem with the clock. They probably use less clock than anyone.

We play faster than the Suns. We also play much worse... but faster.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:23 pm
TMC wrote:
carlgo wrote:I think you would agree that the Suns get into their half-court more quickly and with more focused "motion" than the Ws do. And the way they do it there is no problem with the clock. They probably use less clock than anyone.

We play faster than the Suns. We also play much worse... but faster.

I would say maybe faster in a way, but not as quickly or with a plan. So, worse it is.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:20 pm
D'antoni's goal is to have a shot within 7 seconds, and when they do go into 1/2 court you virtually NEVER see 1 guy dribbling the ball for 10 seconds while everyone else stands around. The offense is a thing of beauty to behold, orchestrated by Nash, of course, and the pass to the open man, a man who is open through motion and penetration, is so obvious as to be tautological, but something that seems to elude the ws...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:31 pm
coltraning wrote:D'antoni's goal is to have a shot within 7 seconds, and when they do go into 1/2 court you virtually NEVER see 1 guy dribbling the ball for 10 seconds while everyone else stands around. The offense is a thing of beauty to behold, orchestrated by Nash, of course, and the pass to the open man, a man who is open through motion and penetration, is so obvious as to be tautological, but something that seems to elude the ws...

Beautifully said! The Suns have the offense down near perfectly and I'm quickly beginning to think that they will win it all this season!

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:59 pm
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:D'antoni's goal is to have a shot within 7 seconds, and when they do go into 1/2 court you virtually NEVER see 1 guy dribbling the ball for 10 seconds while everyone else stands around. The offense is a thing of beauty to behold, orchestrated by Nash, of course, and the pass to the open man, a man who is open through motion and penetration, is so obvious as to be tautological, but something that seems to elude the ws...

Beautifully said! The Suns have the offense down near perfectly and I'm quickly beginning to think that they will win it all this season!

I hope so. Juraisic Park offenses must be made extinct. The ball is now pounded so much that there are vibrations rings in the drink cups.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:08 am
carlgo wrote:
migya wrote:

I hope so. Juraisic Park offenses must be made extinct. The ball is now pounded so much that there are vibrations rings in the drink cups.

What the Suns are doing is making the rest of the nba take notice and employ a bit of the run and gun strategy themselves but the key has always been to play very good solid defense and that will never change. The Suns are so incredible in how they run and gun but that is because of the personnel they have! Noway every team in the nba can do this. You have to have athletes and skilled players and the Suns have that and have the brain that runs it all in Steve Nash, among the best PGs ever

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:22 am
The Suns wouldn't be what they are without Nash. We all saw what happened to their type of style when he was out. Not even Barbosa can run the system to at least decent of what Nash could do.

The weakness of the run and gun for the Suns is that D'Antoni does not use his bench. He counts on at least 7 players to go all out, putting the heaviest burdens on Marion, Amare, and Nash. Because of this, they will not have enough gas when they play teams like the Spurs and Mavs as the playoffs move along. They have a real good bench.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 am
xbaywarrior wrote:The Suns wouldn't be what they are without Nash. We all saw what happened to their type of style when he was out. Not even Barbosa can run the system to at least decent of what Nash could do.

The weakness of the run and gun for the Suns is that D'Antoni does not use his bench. He counts on at least 7 players to go all out, putting the heaviest burdens on Marion, Amare, and Nash. Because of this, they will not have enough gas when they play teams like the Spurs and Mavs as the playoffs move along. They have a real good bench.

I was going to post that, Xbay... without Nash, they would have trouble making the playoffs.

I was a doubter when Nash won his first MVP, like "how can a player that only delivers on one side of the court be the MVP?"... but now I'm a firm believer that he was a deserved winner... and one of the main contenders again this year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:35 pm
Woops, my bad. I think I accidentally went inside your mind and stole whatever you were about to say. Kiddin.

But yeah, their style is not as effective as it could without Nash. They struggled against the Blazers. They had to count on Amare to put up 30 or 45 to win. That's not going to cut it. I think they could be maybe around a 5-6 seed in the west without Nash.

Regarding the MVP consideration. I agree. You can argue that Brand, Kobe, or LeBron should've won but when you see how different the Suns are with and without Nash even with those other guys still there, you question how well the Suns can do without him. Nash makes players better with his style of basketball, and that's enough for me to consider him MVP last year. I dunno about this year though, I'm kind of leaning toward Nowitzki.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I dunno about this year though, I'm kind of leaning toward Nowitzki.

Yeah, probably Dirk... and I'm pretty sure the league wants him to win it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 am
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:I dunno about this year though, I'm kind of leaning toward Nowitzki.

Yeah, probably Dirk... and I'm pretty sure the league wants him to win it.

Dirk has always been great and it wouldn't be undeserved if he won it this season (which likely he will since the Mavs are unbelievable) but Nash is more "valuable"

Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball