Al Harrington
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 18

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:26 am
Andris put up 13 on 6/7 in the first quarter last night on a legit Pau Gasol. The Warriors seem to be going to him a lot more in the half court instead of passing it around the perimeter and taking a jumpshot, but I don't understand why they don't run the offense through him every possession. Monta and Baron are other options to run it though as they can create easily but they're not as efficient as Biedrins in terms of scoring. They do, however, create more shots but tend to allow the defense to focus solely on the perimeter as they rarely work it to the post and out.

Most good half court teams run it through the post first - Minnesota, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio all have the hafl court offense run through the big man. You could run the opposite route, however, and do what Cleveland, Denver, and Miami (sort of) do and run it through a wing. I just feel that the better teams go through the post first and we should start looking to do so as well. It's not like we would have to give up run and gun Nellie ball, it would only have to be for half court sets.

It's clear who I would run it through, but who would you run it through?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:46 am
Obviously through the post, as long as you have a capable guy there. And that's what I'm not sure we have. Biedrins looks great... but not there yet (even tho he has looked pretty good at times, just not consistently). Al Harrington doesn't play much post, so he shouldn't count.

As for me, I think we should avoid the half court offense as much as we can, although we won't be able to run the whole game. The rest of the time, the offense will go through Baron (I'm not saying it should go through Baron, just that it WILL go through Baron. That's just how it is... and is probably the reason many posters say there's better ball movement when Baron's not on the court).

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 pm
Thunder wrote:Andris put up 13 on 6/7 in the first quarter last night on a legit Pau Gasol. The Warriors seem to be going to him a lot more in the half court instead of passing it around the perimeter and taking a jumpshot, but I don't understand why they don't run the offense through him every possession. Monta and Baron are other options to run it though as they can create easily but they're not as efficient as Biedrins in terms of scoring. They do, however, create more shots but tend to allow the defense to focus solely on the perimeter as they rarely work it to the post and out.

Most good half court teams run it through the post first - Minnesota, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio all have the hafl court offense run through the big man. You could run the opposite route, however, and do what Cleveland, Denver, and Miami (sort of) do and run it through a wing. I just feel that the better teams go through the post first and we should start looking to do so as well. It's not like we would have to give up run and gun Nellie ball, it would only have to be for half court sets.

It's clear who I would run it through, but who would you run it through?

It's funny you bring this up. I was thinking these exact same thoughts a few days ago. Andris has great hands and is learning how to score a few different ways inside. My main point however is that Andris could be a great passer out of the post as well. He grew up playing Euro ball and making intelligent passes is a premium for them. I bet if given the chance to showcase his decision making, his passing and given the green light to shoot jumpers out to 10-12 feet that he could be a great way for us to initiate our half court offense.

He's already starting to put up amazing numbers for as few touches as he gets. This would also give a hub for Monta and the other slashers to rotate around instead of standing outside watching someone dribble the ball.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:43 pm
the thought of running possessions through andris EVERYTIME is quite frightening...

however, i like the idea on a limited basis, but like TMC says, he doesn't possess the passing ability and touch, the vision, the confidence, the strength, and the consistent post moves to justify going to him every possession. i can see one day when we might be able to feature him as our main offensive weapon - but that's yeeears away.

and i'm not sure i'd mention dallas as someone that preaches an inside-out offense...minny, houston, SA, yes... dampier? diop? nowitzki is a perimeter player...

as for who i'd run the O through, it's gotta be BD...yeah, he takes more fadeaways and 3's than I would like, but let's hope that with all the weapons at his disposal now, he'll reduce his 'bad' shots...he needed to do that before out of necessity - if he continues to do this, i'd say we have on our hands an iverson, arenas, marbury type player...

and andris shooting 10 footers?!!? yiiikes...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:46 pm
J-Rich is still our best scorer... run it through him.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:08 pm
JayPat wrote:J-Rich is still our best scorer... run it through him.

he may be our best scorer, but you can't actually run an offense through him...

unless you like fadeaways...

he gets his points in transition

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:42 pm
I picked AL.

He's got a post game and an outside J. Pick and rolls with Monta or Baron would be money!

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Biedrins and Ellis are like Kobe and Shaq. Biedrins is good to feature in the early part of the game because of his high shooting percentage, but his free throw shooting make him a liability is a close game. Granted, J-Rich has had an off year and S-Jackson has played limited minutes (remember his three point brick at the end of regulation) but I only feel comfortable with Ellis handling the ball at the end of the game or having Sarunas at the free throw line. Unfortunately, we have had too many critical games with Baron sitting on the bench with a cramp at the end of the fourth quarter to believe he will ever help the Warriors win close games on a consistent basis. Compared to the real all-stars (CPaul, Nash, Parker, Arenas) BD has a lot of flaws (no off-season conditioning, continually overweight throughout his career, constant injuries late season, inability or lack of desire to dribble penetrate at the end of games, low shooting percentage and his coach killing attitude (clashes with Monty and Scott). The Biedrins/ Ellis combo is a much better and more talented core than our Fisher/Foyle/Murphy/Dunleavy contract disaster.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:39 pm
The Warriors were at their best earlier this season, when the post ran through Baron Davis backing down a smaller guard (like Parker or Paul).

When Baron Davis returns, they need to run the offense through him. He can create, set people up, or just plain dominate his man. I know BD's on the shelf and Biedrins had a decent game last night, but lets not forget who the superstar is here...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:52 pm
Put J-Rich on the low block and let him do his business. AB can clean up.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:10 pm
I suppose I love the idea of running it through Biedrins because it would have to be in the post.

I wouldn't mind it if the Warriors ran the O through Baron or J Rich as long as they're in the post. Both those guys are monsters down there and can eat up other guards on the block. Thing is they seem to be reluctant to post up other guards more than a few times a game. But I do remember the first part of the season when they'd give it to Baron on the block nearly every time down, but they seemed to shy away from that (before he got injured) which coincided with their struggles.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 pm
If you want to run it through a big man in the post, none of the Warrior bigs have nearly as much post game as Al Harrington.

But, honestly, I'd love to see the Warriors run a post up game with their guards. How many of Golden State's smaller players can consistently post up their man? Baron? JRich? SJax? That list, alone, is worth trying it.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 pm
BD can't post up the other teams guards! Other teams have gotten a read on BD and they have started using their SF to guard BD! That's why BD hasn't been able to dominate teams like he did in the beginning of the season!!!

Somebody needs to take a break from their studies and travel back to the bay area to watch CURRENT WARRIOR GAMES!!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:46 pm
A bit of everything can work for the team, the pieces are there and going with who is being effective and what is being effective in a particular game is the way to go. Sometimes going through Biedrins works wonders, other times Baron and JRich can post up with great effectiveness because they have great moves and are stronger than most of their opponents. SJackson has some moves but is most effective getting fed off double teams, as is Pietrus but both those guys should try taking it to the hole a bit more when they have the opportunity because they are athletic and have shown some effectivenes doing that.

There really is a few options but the run and gun should still be favoured BUT any half court effectiveness has to be used because it just makes the team that much unguardable

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:22 pm
J-Rich wrote:BD can't post up the other teams guards! Other teams have gotten a read on BD and they have started using their SF to guard BD! That's why BD hasn't been able to dominate teams like he did in the beginning of the season!!!

Somebody needs to take a break from their studies and travel back to the bay area to watch CURRENT WARRIOR GAMES!!!!

Hmmm... could that possibly mean that when BD is being guarded by a small forward, our SG or SF (Rich or SJax, both good in the post) are being guarded by a tiny PG!?!

So, by process of elimination, we're still running the post game against the opposing PG, right you fuckin dimwit?

Jesus, its tiring arguing with an EMO 5th grader...
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball