WOW. Charles Barkley gave the Ws some love.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 pm
Did anyone else catch that? He just said shoutout to Chris Mullin and Rod Higgins because the Ws are probably the most dangerous team of all the teams vying for the 7th and 8th seeds.

His exact quote was "Golden State is probably the most dangerous team that's not in the playoffs in the West."

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 am
He usually bashes on the Warriors...I suppose he wasn't a big fan of DunMurphy and must like the trade.
Nothing good comes easily...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 am
luckyace wrote:He usually bashes on the Warriors...I suppose he wasn't a big fan of DunMurphy and must like the trade.

He'd go well on this forum :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:48 am
Good man, Charles.

... although, its not enough for Warriors fans (like me) who still remember you writing us off at the beginning of the season, despite our hot start.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:10 pm
LOL in the beginning of the season when the Warriors played the Sacramento Kings on TNT or I might be mistaken with the other team, but Charles Barkley was bashing on both teams saying both of them don't have a chance at all at making the playoffs, guess his fatass is leading the wagon.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:43 pm
BT wrote:LOL in the beginning of the season when the Warriors played the Sacramento Kings on TNT or I might be mistaken with the other team, but Charles Barkley was bashing on both teams saying both of them don't have a chance at all at making the playoffs, guess his fatass is leading the wagon.

It was the Kings. Every other commentator had something worthwhile to say... but Barkley just slouched in his seat and said, "Man... neither of these teams is gon' make the playoffs."

Made my blood boil. Its like hearing an ignorant redneck use the N*word. You know the guy's too stupid to know any different... but it pisses you off anyway.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:27 pm
Charles Barkley is a front runner! It's as simple as that! Once the Warriors start doing good he will like them. That's just how he is. He's just a fan of winning basketball.

He's an idiot and his opinions have no facts.

He makes me laugh though because he's such a retard.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:38 pm
I don't really hate him as an analyst. I think he can make some good points and I really like him during the playoffs. I just think he hasn't really watched enough of us. I bet he will now that it's the second half and we're in the playoff race.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:01 pm
I think Charles Barkley plays video games the entire time TNT is broadcasting the games. When Charles isn't being broadcasted, he's in the back playing video games. Seriously.

Charles Barkley has nothing worthwhile to say, unless it's an obvious fact about the team's biggest star.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:07 pm
barkley is just on there to be entertaining, he knows a fair share about basketball and why he's stuck being an analyst is he's blunt and pretty funny and doesnt care what anybody thinks.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm
Analysts are just people who share their opinions. I dont put too much weight in what they say
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm
dsigns wrote:Analysts are just people who share their opinions. I dont put too much weight in what they say

Yes, but usually a 3rd party's anaylyst isn't supposed to be biased. Charles in inherantly biased in many of his opinions. And it wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't change them on a dime.

First the guy's a Republican, now he's a Democrat. First the Warriors aren't making the playoffs, now they're an 8th seed. Dick Bavetta's an old man who can't run, now he respects the guy.

Barkley's a joke.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:06 pm
Barkley never gives any credit to teams that are struggling. That's not his role though. His role is to rail on Kenny Smith and be hilarious - which I find him even when he kills the Warriors sometimes.

Of course you can't take anything seriously that he says on TNT though - be it from Bevetta to his analysis of a team. The program is less about NBA insight and more about general entertainment. I actually enjoy those guys more when they're not talking about NBA.

I guess it is the old Tony Kornheiser model - I think he is hilarious and love it when he goes off on tangents about American Idol and other pointless pop culture. He gives mild to poor insight on sports topics (I mean, the guy thought Yao would be a major bust and only recently did he fess up to it) but he is an entertainer and he knows it. He, like Barkley, say a good amount of things tongue-in-cheek just to get a rise out of people and just to be funny about it. People do take sports too seriously and at least we have these jesters to lighten things up a bit.

With that said, regardless of Barkley affiliation with a party, he at least has his priorities right on state level politics. He doesn't go for red herring issues like gay marriage and focuses on the poverty of a state and the bankrupcy of the lower class - topics a good amount of politicians choose to ignore regardless or their party.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:14 pm
32 wrote:
dsigns wrote:Analysts are just people who share their opinions. I dont put too much weight in what they say

Yes, but usually a 3rd party's anaylyst isn't supposed to be biased. Charles in inherantly biased in many of his opinions. And it wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't change them on a dime.

First the guy's a Republican, now he's a Democrat. First the Warriors aren't making the playoffs, now they're an 8th seed. Dick Bavetta's an old man who can't run, now he respects the guy.

Barkley's a joke.

actually, he's been a democrat for about 4 years now, 32. Good line ala Reagan. "I didn't leave the republican party, they left me." Speaks real truth to power on class and race issues, far far less stupid than the fool he likes to play. What he said on Katrina (which rivals Iraq as Bush's everlasting shame) is right on.

From ESPN: " Barkley was a Republican until recently, saying he switched parties when the Republicans "lost their minds." He said he is troubled by some of the actions of people in the United States in the name of religion.

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."

He also said he supports gay marriage.

"I think if they want to get married, God bless them," Barkley said. "Gay marriage is probably 1 percent of the population, so it's not like it's going to be an epidemic. Hey, trust me, I'm never going to kiss you and say, 'Chris, you're sexy."'

Barkley also acknowledged that a gay athlete likely would be discriminated against in professional sports, though he said he believes they would face the same discrimination in everyday life.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:28 pm
I don't mind Barkley's current mind on politics. I've said in another thread, I think he'd be a great political figure in Alabama. But my point is that his opinion is easily swayed and never stays the same.

Somebody whose opinion can change if you give him a brownie does not have a valid opinion... and, right now, his opinion is his job.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball