THE LATEST ON POB

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:37 pm
Why do everyone assume that it is easy to "bulk up"? It's not that easy. Especially for an unusually tall guy. I like to use the term "firm up". He probably will not gain too much more weight, but he could probably tighten his muscles so he could be stronger. If bulking up was easy, don't you think people like Mutumbo, and Bol would have done it?
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:10 pm
Did you guys see POB behind the bench against the Knicks last night? Maybe he's getting ready for a comeback. At least I think it was him.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 pm
Thunder wrote:Did you guys see POB behind the bench against the Knicks last night? Maybe he's getting ready for a comeback. At least I think it was him.

Yeah, it was him. He was joking around with Foyle I think.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm
Yeah, he could be coming back very soon if he keeps up his play at the D-League. With Baron out and Nelson just waiting for POB to help AB out when foul trouble comes up, it'll help the Warriors a lot.

I don't know why we're saying the season is over. We're only what? 1 1/2-2 games out of the 7th and 8th seed. Teams keep doing us favors though, it could only last so long. But I believe those last two spots will come down to near the end of the season.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:40 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:Why do everyone assume that it is easy to "bulk up"? It's not that easy. Especially for an unusually tall guy. I like to use the term "firm up". He probably will not gain too much more weight, but he could probably tighten his muscles so he could be stronger. If bulking up was easy, don't you think people like Mutumbo, and Bol would have done it?

Your right Reg bulking is not easy, but in POB case the kid will bulk up and gain weight over time. If you take a good look at the kid he has the frame to put on alot of muscle over the years to come.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:30 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Why do everyone assume that it is easy to "bulk up"? It's not that easy. Especially for an unusually tall guy. I like to use the term "firm up". He probably will not gain too much more weight, but he could probably tighten his muscles so he could be stronger. If bulking up was easy, don't you think people like Mutumbo, and Bol would have done it?

Dude, if your JOB was to be a professional athlete and one of your main problems was that you were too skinny, wouldn't you be in the gym 8 hours a day?

If I was making 2 million dollars to play center (in an age where decent centers make out like friggin bandits in the NBA), I'd be lifting so many weights, you don't even know.

Mutumbo didn't need to bulk up. Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol never did, which is why they were both average centers. Yao's put on some muscle since coming to the league, and look at his numbers. Besides, look at guys like Dwight Howard, Troy Murphy, Kevin Garnett, and Ben Wallace. They entered the league smaller... but once they got in the gym, they all became rebounding super heroes.

If Patrick O'Bryant values his NBA career, he'll gain 20 pounds in the next 2 or 3 seasons. No doubt. It aint easy, but it's also not impossible
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:40 pm
32 wrote:

Dude, if your JOB was to be a professional athlete and one of your main problems was that you were too skinny, wouldn't you be in the gym 8 hours a day?

If I was making 2 million dollars to play center (in an age where decent centers make out like friggin bandits in the NBA), I'd be lifting so many weights, you don't even know.

Mutumbo didn't need to bulk up. Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol never did, which is why they were both average centers. Yao's put on some muscle since coming to the league, and look at his numbers. Besides, look at guys like Dwight Howard, Troy Murphy, Kevin Garnett, and Ben Wallace. They entered the league smaller... but once they got in the gym, they all became rebounding super heroes.

If Patrick O'Bryant values his NBA career, he'll gain 20 pounds in the next 2 or 3 seasons. No doubt. It aint easy, but it's also not impossible

I remember that Bradley was drinking some huge number of special cardiac arrest milkshakes, lifting, eating several extra meals a day and who knows what else and still remained thin. This was not fun and did not work. He was very frustrated about that.

If POB remains thin, that is not necessarily because he is not trying. At least he will be stronger.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:31 pm
carlgo wrote:
32 wrote:

I remember that Bradley was drinking some huge number of special cardiac arrest milkshakes, lifting, eating several extra meals a day and who knows what else and still remained thin. This was not fun and did not work. He was very frustrated about that.

If POB remains thin, that is not necessarily because he is not trying. At least he will be stronger.

POB was never frustrated about what he had to do to gain weight at BU. Matter of fact the kid drop body fat and got alot stronger. You have know ideam what your talking about.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:47 am
Grabow :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:14 pm
Golden wrote:
carlgo wrote:
32 wrote:

POB was never frustrated about what he had to do to gain weight at BU. Matter of fact the kid drop body fat and got alot stronger. You have know ideam what your talking about.

I was talking about Bradley being frustrated. I have no idea of POB's weight-gaining history or attitude. If you re-read my post you will see that I said he would get stronger, but maybe not heavier, which is what you said. So, maybe neither of us know what we are talking about. Wouldn't be the first time for me at least :(

BTW, I was watching the D-league all-star game hoping to see POB. He wasn't there and if those guys actually are the best players in that league, well I would advise them to stay away from the Bentley dealership for a while.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:28 pm
O.G. Broe wrote:Grabow :mrgreen:

What does this stand for? I looked it up on the www and couldn't find the answer. Can't even make a good one up. It is probably something I should know about, like bad breath. :?

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:18 pm
Mark Grabow is the Warriors trainer and known to be one of the best.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:46 pm
carlgo wrote:
Golden wrote:
carlgo wrote:
32 wrote:

I was talking about Bradley being frustrated. I have no idea of POB's weight-gaining history or attitude. If you re-read my post you will see that I said he would get stronger, but maybe not heavier, which is what you said. So, maybe neither of us know what we are talking about. Wouldn't be the first time for me at least :(

BTW, I was watching the D-league all-star game hoping to see POB. He wasn't there and if those guys actually are the best players in that league, well I would advise them to stay away from the Bentley dealership for a while.

Only reason O'Bryant wasn't in the D-League All-Star Game is because he hasn't played enough D-League games to qualify. His PER, in D-League, is among their league's best.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:46 pm
where patrick would benefit from being the same weight and stronger is quickness. he would be more physical and able to finish at a higher %. where it would benefit pat to lift weights and gain 20 lbs. of his own cookin, he could be physical and straight up overpowering with size.
i guess the point is as long as he hits the gym and continues to refine his game he'll be an excellent player---thats what we desperately need along side of biedrins for the future.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:13 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:where patrick would benefit from being the same weight and stronger is quickness. he would be more physical and able to finish at a higher %. where it would benefit pat to lift weights and gain 20 lbs. of his own cookin, he could be physical and straight up overpowering with size.
i guess the point is as long as he hits the gym and continues to refine his game he'll be an excellent player---thats what we desperately need along side of biedrins for the future.

That pretty much sums up reasonable expectations.

We can also hope that he will be as hungry on the court as off. Some posters here have called him soft, etc. It is hard to form an opinion when he played a few minutes of garbage time now and then.

It is interesting how long this thread is considering the subject is a guy who just might be ok as a backup. Every college game features at least one 7-foot guy these days and many of them seem pretty decent, so if it is not POB, then somebody else.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball