Monta is a fcking baller

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 pm
Sweet mother of god. I feel sorry for the poor bastards that didn't see the rookie-soph challenge. At one point Monta went for 5 ally oops in a 2 minute spam. It was unbefuckingleavable. In total he had 8 dunks and 3 layups, finished with 28 points and got snubbed by the gangly David Lee for MVP. What a crock of ish. Sure Lee went 14-14 from the field but what Monta did was the most spectacular thing ive ever seen in a game, i dont care if they did score 155 in 40 minutes (yikes). Monta should have won that award, he represented Oakland so goddamn hard it makes me wanna slap your mama. Cohan my message to you is this: If you let Monta walk I shall be forced to kill you.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 pm
i didnt watch it :cry:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:54 pm
http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/rookie_c ... index.html

No mention of Monta at all...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 pm
David Wood wrote: In total he had 8 dunks and 3 layups, finished with 28 points and got snubbed by the gangly David Lee for MVP.

Monta's 8 dunks and 3 layups is both good and bad and is a perfect example of my problem with him. He puts a lot of points on the board which is great but basically all he can do is dunk and make layups. Isn't he supposed to be a SHOOTING guard? Keep him 10 feet from the basket and he shoots about 30-33% and gets worse the further from the basket he shoots from. You're left with either a shooting guard who can't shoot or a point guard that doesn't pass that well and is turnover prone. He's a bit of a one trick pony.

Cmon man.. David Lee had a perfect night from the field and did exactly what a PF is supposed to do. Shooting guards need to actually SHOOT.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 am
Well what the hell do you want out of this kid? He doesn't need to pull a Kobe and shoot over 20+ shots a night. He is a good shooter from the perimeter. His 3 point shooting went down this year, but he is a good mid range shooter. The thing I appreciate about this kid is that shooting guards aren't known to drive first, they're known to shoot first. He takes it to the hole before thinking about shooting it.

Monta is a combo guard. He's in the process of being groomed to run the offense at the point. As for the "you're left with a guard who doesn't pass well," that can easily be said about Jason.

David Lee did have a perfect night. But since when was the last time the term "defense" could be said in a positive way for the Rookie Challenge? Never, because they put an offensive show. I promise you this, if Lee was being defended by veterans, and not a bunch of rooks, he wouldn't be perfect from the field(despite him having the best FG percentage in the NBA).
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:15 am
AzubuikeFan wrote:
David Wood wrote: In total he had 8 dunks and 3 layups, finished with 28 points and got snubbed by the gangly David Lee for MVP.

Monta's 8 dunks and 3 layups is both good and bad and is a perfect example of my problem with him. He puts a lot of points on the board which is great but basically all he can do is dunk and make layups. Isn't he supposed to be a SHOOTING guard? Keep him 10 feet from the basket and he shoots about 30-33% and gets worse the further from the basket he shoots from. You're left with either a shooting guard who can't shoot or a point guard that doesn't pass that well and is turnover prone. He's a bit of a one trick pony.

Cmon man.. David Lee had a perfect night from the field and did exactly what a PF is supposed to do. Shooting guards need to actually SHOOT.

he have a good mid jumperbut its better for him to drive its a easyer shot and most of the time when he dive he get foul so if only the warriors can dive more then shooting 3 point we should have won more games
This is the year
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:43 am
hellkiller wrote:
AzubuikeFan wrote:

he have a good mid jumperbut its better for him to drive its a easyer shot and most of the time when he dive he get foul so if only the warriors can dive more then shooting 3 point we should have won more games

Actually, the team that shoots the higher percentage from 3pt range wins about 90% of games. Case in point, the last time the warriors played in Atlanta on the last road trip. Late in the game the Warriors were shooting exactly the same percentage as the Hawks.. but were down 12 points. The reason was that the Warriors had made 1 3pt basket and Atlanta had made 13.

Example: The warriors shoot 100 shots in a game and make 50% of them.. all dunks and layups = 100 points.

The opponent shoots 100 shots and makes 50% of them also.. but 10 of their shots were 3 ptrs= 110 points. Double digit loss for the Warriors.

You have to shoot a respectable percentage from the outside to win. Shooting 33% from 3pt range scores the same points as shooting 50% from inside the arc. The Warriors just need more shots taken by guys that can shoot.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 am
AzubuikeFan wrote:

You seem to forget what Buddy Ryan said about Chris Carter.

If you can take the ball to the rack anytime you want, why would you settle for a jump shot? Isn't this what when we complain about Baron the most, when he is shooting from the outside instead of using his best assett and driving? Besides, Monta is becoming a very good mid-range and pull up shooter in only his second year. Not to mention he has been averaging only 1 turnover a game for the last few weeks as point guard. What the hell else do you want from a skinny, second year player right out of high school, who's being asked to run the show?

It also appears that you are only looking at Monta as he was in the beginniging of the year, he's come a long way since then. Besides his airshow blew all of the other players out of the water at that game. I've never seen anyone come in off of the bench and completely make men look like boys in an all-star type game. He was just truly amazing and you should be damn happy he is on our team!

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:26 am
I know I am :D On point xbay, jsw & hk..
I was mad like 4 of Monta's dunks were during split screen & side commentary, slow or no instant replay, before TNT could show 1 of his dunk's he had 3 more :mrgreen: Thank God for my DVR box... I could never go back to basic :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:21 am
Monta is still a hybrid, not a pure shooting guard like Mullin or Ray Allen. Secondly, I don't see anyone complaining about Wade going to the rim a zillion times and getting fantom blocking calls on the way to defeating a better Dallas team in the NBA championship. Finally, I want to Monta shoot mostly from the outside when and only when the Warriors dump Nellie and develop a low post player that will command a double team and give team mates open shots. It's an all-star game, and most fans want to see dunks and other high percentage shots, so I can't blame Monta's performance which was as a good as CPaul and David Lee.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:16 am
I thought CPaul would win it as both Monte and Lee were undefended.

Lee and Ellis made something like 28 out of 30 unopposed shots. Wow.

Are there any adults here who are still actually impressed by uncontested dunks?

It almost made me long for a flop or two. I actually appreciate the Warrior's defense now.

What was all that screaming in the backround? Was it all those kids with instructions to wave shiny things and scream non-stop? Or was it a tape? Cameras views of the crowd were suspiciously absent and it looked like the seat color and the kid's clothing color were the same.

What a sham. The whole thing was extremely unimpressive, actually embarrassing to the league.

A professional league that is secure with itself and the product it presents would not have put on this show.

The announcers and analysts all seemed more interested in post-game parties featuring look-at-ME clothing. You expected some sort of journalistic appraisal of Ellis? NOBODY CARED.

I am just glad Ellis wasn't hurt. I was about 90% sure he would be. What a crock.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:53 am
carlgo wrote:I thought CPaul would win it as both Monte and Lee were undefended.

Are there any adults here who are still actually impressed by uncontested dunks?

It almost made me long for a flop or two. I actually appreciate the Warrior's defense now.

What was all that screaming in the backround? Was it all those kids with instructions to wave shiny things and scream non-stop? Or was it a tape? Cameras views of the crowd were suspiciously absent and it looked like the seat color and the kid's clothing color were the same.

What a sham. The whole thing was extremely unimpressive, actually embarrassing to the league.

A professional league that is secure with itself and the product it presents would not have put on this show.

The announcers and analysts all seemed more interested in post-game parties featuring look-at-ME clothing. You expected some sort of journalistic appraisal of Ellis? NOBODY CARED.

I am just glad Ellis wasn't hurt. I was about 90% sure he would be. What a crock.

Ya, it provided some good drunken entertainment for me. I was at a bar and started watching right around the time Monta had those 5 ally oops in a row. At that point I was not aware that this was a no defense game. Your right though, it was a pathetic display off basketball as far as fundamentals, but I think that's largely due to the fact that they don't want to get hurt. Chris Paul has amazing skills, he is the next great point guard IMO. I don't know why there is all this talk about Monta being a hybrid and not having a position. To me he is an ideal 2 guard. He is too quick for most shooting guards to defend and he has enough elevation on his shot to get it over them. Defensively he has proven he can hang with a 2 guard. A combo of him and J-Rich at the 2/3 spots is ideal i think.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:53 am
carlgo wrote:I thought CPaul would win it as both Monte and Lee were undefended.

Ya, it provided some good drunken entertainment for me. I was at a bar and started watching right around the time Monta had those 5 ally oops in a row. At that point I was not aware that this was a no defense game. Your right though, it was a pathetic display off basketball as far as fundamentals, but I think that's largely due to the fact that they don't want to get hurt. Chris Paul has amazing skills, he is the next great point guard IMO. I don't know why there is all this talk about Monta being a hybrid and not having a position. To me he is an ideal 2 guard. He is too quick for most shooting guards to defend and he has enough elevation on his shot to get it over them. Defensively he has proven he can hang with a 2 guard. A combo of him and J-Rich at the 2/3 spots is ideal i think.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:49 pm
Monta's midrange jumper is MONEY. He just can't shoot from three-point land, even from the corners.

And if you guys watched the game, the analysts were slurping Monta Ellis's play during the game. They were talking about how great his play was with the absence of Baron Davis. Reggie was really impressed with his leaping ability because his head was inches from the rim. John Thompson was particularly impressed with his quickness. It's pretty crazy how Monta was the last person to enter the game, and he was never taken out. I think he even started the 2nd half. It's like the coach just found out at that moment Monta Ellis is good.
Last edited by Hoonyo on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm
Hoonyo wrote:Monta's midrange jumper is MONEY. He just can't shoot from three-point land, even from the corners.

Not this season, at least.

I don't understand it. Last year, the entire roster claimed that Monta was the 3-Point King in practice (even over Fisher). He shot mid-30's from the perimeter in limited time last year (which wasn't great, but it wasn't morbid either).

This season, he couldn't knock one down if his mother's life depended on it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball