Best Lyricist of All-Time

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 am
I'M MIKE JONES
WHO...MIKE JONES
WHO...MIKE JONES, JONES

Mike Jones and Ron Artest are classic. The first two thirds of every song is
MIKE JONES
TRUE WARRIOR
MIKE JONES
TRUE WARRIOR
MIKE JONES
TRUE WARRIOR
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:41 am
Exactly. Southern rap, for the most part, is all mainstream crap.

Rims, women, booze, da club!, shake yo ass!, money, trucks, throwbacks, grillz, diamonds, dancing in place while lip-synching in a music video... repeat.

:roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:22 pm
32 wrote:Exactly. Southern rap, for the most part, is all mainstream crap.

Rims, women, booze, da club!, shake yo ass!, money, trucks, throwbacks, grillz, diamonds, dancing in place while lip-synching in a music video... repeat.

:roll:

Its sad, i remember when the south had rappers like Bone Thugs pre-1999, Early Outkast, even some goodie mob.

I think Master P. ruined it for southern rappers. His West Coast Bad Boys 2 was classic, but then he started coming out with a new lame artist every week.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 pm
Most southern rap seems worth listening depending who it is. Lil Wayne, T.I., Chamillionaire are a couple names I like.

But I agree, "The Sound of Revenge" album was the slap of the year. I believe Chamillionaire is coming out with a Mixtape album sometime soon.

Money wrote:I think Master P. ruined it for southern rappers. His West Coast Bad Boys 2 was classic, but then he started coming out with a new lame artist every week.

Yup yup. Lil Romeo = crap. I enjoyed Master P's "Them Jeans" song, but other than that, the rest of his rhymes are crap.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:43 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Most southern rap seems worth listening depending who it is. Lil Wayne, T.I., Chamillionaire are a couple names I like.

T.I.'s quality. He's a south rapper I'll put in the same category as Nas.

Chamillionaire seems like the South's version of 50 Cent, to me. A guy who can make Hall-of-Fame hooks, always seems to pick the right beat... but he needs to really say something special for it to be anything but Pop.

I remember when 50 dropped "Power of the Dollar". Even today, I think that album's sick as ****. Anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about needs to open up LimeWire or something and download "Ghetto Qu'ran", "How to Rob", or "The Good Die Young". 50 was banging... I was even feeling "Get Rich or Die Tryin". However, once "P.I.M.P." became a single, it seems like everything 50 came out with went to hell.

Chamillionaire's the same way. Download "I Had A Dream" off Mixtape Messiah and you'll see what I mean. That's a hot track... but then you get to things like "Fly As The Sky" on Sound of Revenge and it just sounds pop.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:45 am
Yeah, which is one reason why I started bashing on 50's music. He started out well, he was putting his sh*t together real well. But then he suddenly started getting into that sex and money rap sh*t. I did like his "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" movie. Most people hated it, thought it was boring, but I thought the movie was entertaining at times. Dunno, that's just one of those movies that many hate, but I still can enjoy.

Chamillionaire could be headed down that same road. I like him, but some of his music is starting to head down that "Hip-Hop is Dead" road.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:57 am
Chamillionaire's album was great because you could throw on, virtually, any track and have something to ride to. It's always nice to have an album like that. But, even then, I didn't think he said anything worthwhile on his album.

"Ridin", "Turn It Up", "In The Trunk", "Southern Takeover", "Fly As The Sky", "Peepin' Me", "Grown and Sexy", and "Frontin" were all purely pop tracks. They were catchy, I've memorized a lotta their lyrics, I bump that CD all the time... but, really, it's not hip-hop.

"Void in My Life" and "Picture Perfect" were pretty good songs. But 75% of "The Sound of Revenge" was simply Scott Storch beats, catchy hooks, and tunes you could dance to.

I liken Chamillionaire to 50 Cent because he's not a lyrical genius... but he still works, as a rapper. Besides 50's appropriately named album, "The Massacre", he's been a pretty entertaining artist. I see a lot of his style in Chamillionaire (from the mixtape reputation, to the catchy hooks, to the right beats with the right songs).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:06 am
5 cents sucks... (yeah, I've demoted him)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:05 am
Have you ever heard anything from "Power of the Dollar"?

Or "50 Cent Is The Future"?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:09 pm
I liked Power of the Dollar, the flow was sick. His rhymes at the rise of his career had a real good flow to it. But then he lost that rapping "flow" and started beef with almost every rap artist he knows which is why I hate the current 50 cent, and like the old one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 am
I haven't heard anything from the Old 5 cents... Maybe I'll have to try.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:59 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I liked Power of the Dollar, the flow was sick. His rhymes at the rise of his career had a real good flow to it. But then he lost that rapping "flow" and started beef with almost every rap artist he knows which is why I hate the current 50 cent, and like the old one.

I didn't mind his beef with Ja Rule (mostly because I think Ja's a pansy ass whose only talent is making sappy, rap/R&B songs with female artists)... and I understand why he'd be pissed at an ingrate like Game, but I don't get some of his other beef (like with Irv and Fat Joe). Maybe I'm just not informed.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:28 pm
Yeah, I had a problem with most of Ja Rule's songs. I don't have a problem with Ashanti, but geez, how many times to you have to have her in your music along with a sh*t load of other R&B artists?

I don't know about the beef with Irv, but the one with Fat Joe was started because of the "Lean Back" joint. Fat Joe thought it was a way better club joint than 50's "In Da Club". And you know how 50 is these days when he hears the competition trying to be high egotist with their rhymes. Personally, I too believe "In Da Club" was a way better club joint than "Lean Back".

In 50's "Piggy Bank" song off the Bonus Version of his "Massacre" album, he pretty much points out main reasons why he has beef with those certain guys.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:40 am
Forget that sh*t of 5 cents... You have to listen to something real like... Aceyalone. :thumbleft:

Now that's good hip hop (one of the few that makes good hip hop nowadays).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah, I had a problem with most of Ja Rule's songs. I don't have a problem with Ashanti, but geez, how many times to you have to have her in your music along with a sh*t load of other R&B artists?

I don't know about the beef with Irv, but the one with Fat Joe was started because of the "Lean Back" joint. Fat Joe thought it was a way better club joint than 50's "In Da Club". And you know how 50 is these days when he hears the competition trying to be high egotist with their rhymes. Personally, I too believe "In Da Club" was a way better club joint than "Lean Back".

In 50's "Piggy Bank" song off the Bonus Version of his "Massacre" album, he pretty much points out main reasons why he has beef with those certain guys.

I remember Piggy Bank. I saw the music video... the Mr. Potato Head version of Game was classic! "Assembly required"... "push button and he'll dish, then apologize". Hillarious.

And, for the record, "In Da Club" was WAY better than "Lean Back" PURELY because Dr. Dre outfoxed Scott Stortch. Both songs, lyrically, were sorry... but Dre's club beat was banging. Stortch did a good job on Lean Back, but Dre's version was masterful.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum