Game Thread: Warriors @ New York Knicks 2007-02-14

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors overcome their injuries?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:01 pm

YES
54%
NO
46%

Total votes : 13

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:02 am
all i can say is, I'll take it!
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:I guess a 19-point win happens when you shoot 60% from the field and force the opponent into 29 turnovers. A good effort last night from the Warriors.

Stephen Jackson was on fire. I wish he could play more consistently for this team. He is on fire one game and misses every shot the next. I am happy he was making his shots last night. I know that will not happen every game and in fact there will be games and have already been games when Jackson can, will and has shot the Warriors out of games. Nice to see him carrying the team to a win. He has been excellent against the Eastern Conference as Jim Barnett and Pat Fitzgerald eluded to last night.

Monta was great!! He scored 23 on 9 of 11 and dished out 7 assists and had four or five boards. That is a nice stat line. I would actually like to see Monta get a few more shots. However, if he is dishing to his teammates and trying to be a pass first point guard, I can live with that. It is evident Monta has developed his ball handling skills. His turnovers are way down and he is really protecting the ball. The one turnover he had last should have been caught by Biedrins.

That is a nice way to go into the All-Star break. I still think the playoffs are a stretch, but who knows what will happen. Let's hope there are no off court problems in the next week so this team can get out of the blocks fast after the break and make a hard push for the playoffs.

It can only improve with the return of Jrich and Pietrus - the ws are the equivalent of a march madness bubble team
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:50 pm
Lituano wrote:i understand, this was a good game for Ellis, Jackson and Azubuike, but only 6 minutes for Saras when Davis is injured - i can't understand this...
:(

Not very good NBA team can't use best European point guard in last 10 years - i can't understand this... Maybe best variant for Saras is comeback to Europe - here he will win another two or three Euroleague titles before career finish... and return to Lithuanian National Team + win against USA "Dreaming Team" with best NBA players again... i see, Saras is in good form now and can do good things for team - but sits on bench and don't plays :(

Maybe you will call this my opinion "Sarunas cult" or smth, but as basketball coach i can say: he's trying to play better basketball, than NBA "standard" basketball, where dumb and fast shooter/dunker is better player, than smart point guard... Here in Europe we can't understand this, (except young NBA-crazy boys)...

The issue here is speed. Saras plays great in a slower more methodical game, and where they allow moving screens, like Europe. Here they don't allow moving screens and Saras doesn't do well in an uptempo offense. A team like the Pacers or the Larry Brown Pistons is a good fit for him, but I guess he didn't do that well under Carlisle, either. He may be one of those players who does well in int'l ball but not in the more freelance, no moving screens uptempo NBA.

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:00 pm
Lituano wrote:i understand, this was a good game for Ellis, Jackson and Azubuike, but only 6 minutes for Saras when Davis is injured - i can't understand this...
:(

Not very good NBA team can't use best European point guard in last 10 years - i can't understand this... Maybe best variant for Saras is comeback to Europe - here he will win another two or three Euroleague titles before career finish... and return to Lithuanian National Team + win against USA "Dreaming Team" with best NBA players again... i see, Saras is in good form now and can do good things for team - but sits on bench and don't plays :(

Maybe you will call this my opinion "Sarunas cult" or smth, but as basketball coach i can say: he's trying to play better basketball, than NBA "standard" basketball, where dumb and fast shooter/dunker is better player, than smart point guard... Here in Europe we can't understand this, (except young NBA-crazy boys)...

Dude, you can have him. Sarunas is crap.

"The best European PG in 10 years" means dick to me if it's a guy shooting 15% from beyond the arc. Sarunas has been given many opportunities to show his stuff, since coming to Golden State, and he's only flashed a couple good games (Minny was one... and I'm sure he had another decent one). And even then, he's verbally blaming his bad games on Nelson for not playing him consistently. Please. :roll:

Sarunas Jasikevicious is horrendously overrated by Europeans. I understand that you guys think he's God or something, but the truth is that Jamaal Tinsley could probably win 3 straight Euro titles. This kid is nothing special. He's a streaky shooter whose undersized. They're a dime a dozen. So far, Anthony Roberson's outplayed him in a Warriors uniform.

At this rate, it'd be more worthwhile to pickup Steve Kerr out of retirement. He'll do the same **** as Roony, but he'll probably shoot better.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:14 pm
32 wrote:"The best European PG in 10 years" means dick to me if it's a guy shooting 15% from beyond the arc. Sarunas has been given many opportunities to show his stuff, since coming to Golden State, and he's only flashed a couple good games (Minny was one... and I'm sure he had another decent one). And even then, he's verbally blaming his bad games on Nelson for not playing him consistently. Please. :roll:

Yeah, he played well againt the Cavs (his first game as a W) and against Minny (because, well, he was our only PG with Baron and Monta out... and look what happened that game)

32 wrote:Sarunas Jasikevicious is horrendously overrated by Europeans. I understand that you guys think he's God or something, but the truth is that Jamaal Tinsley could probably win 3 straight Euro titles. This kid is nothing special. He's a streaky shooter whose undersized. They're a dime a dozen. So far, Anthony Roberson's outplayed him in a Warriors uniform.

Yeah, I was sure he was going to be, well, not great, but decent. A good backup, able to hit his shots and spell Baron... but so far he's been a big disappointment. He looks slow... and is possibly the worst defender of the team (and that's not easy with our roster). Even his shots ain't falling (other than those two games).

I've seen him play really well in Europe and his national team, so he's not as bad as he looks... but I must admit that, at this point, he'd better come back to Europe. He just can't play in the NBA.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:09 am
I feel exatly the same, except there's no way he's playing worse than Roberson - that guy was awful. It just seems like that because our expectations for Rooney were pretty high following the trade. But not too high... I was just hoping for a seviceable backup. He's been anything but. I really hate watching him play. Makes me miss DFish even more (but not his contract :mrgreen: )
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:30 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:I feel exatly the same, except there's no way he's playing worse than Roberson - that guy was awful. It just seems like that because our expectations for Rooney were pretty high following the trade. But not too high... I was just hoping for a seviceable backup. He's been anything but. I really hate watching him play. Makes me miss DFish even more (but not his contract :mrgreen: )

I am not all that down on him as a throw in for the deal. He has had a couple of good games and knows how to run a nice screen and roll with Biedrins. His shot has been awful, has caught the Ws disease, and he has zero speed. Needs that Euro game with the moving screens where the power forwards block like linebackers. Nelson clearly has no faith in him, and he doesn't fit Nelly ball at all. He'll likely be gone sooner rather than later. Clearly, the rarest commodity in the NBA is a great point guard.

ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:20 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:I feel exatly the same, except there's no way he's playing worse than Roberson - that guy was awful. It just seems like that because our expectations for Rooney were pretty high following the trade. But not too high... I was just hoping for a seviceable backup. He's been anything but. I really hate watching him play. Makes me miss DFish even more (but not his contract :mrgreen: )

Dude, I said Roberson has OUTPLAYED him. I'd rather cut Roony and bring back Roberson (whom I hated with a bloody passion).

Actually, what I'd rather do is bring back Will Bynum, but I doubt that'll happen. Ah well. I miss the Fish, too, bro!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:06 pm
32 wrote:

Dude, I said Roberson has OUTPLAYED him. I'd rather cut Roony and bring back Roberson (whom I hated with a bloody passion).

Actually, what I'd rather do is bring back Will Bynum, but I doubt that'll happen. Ah well. I miss the Fish, too, bro!

Ah the unrequited Fish love.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 pm
jsw548 wrote:
32 wrote:

Ah the unrequited Fish love.

Yeah. Crazy, huh?

I actually miss a BACKUP point guard who gave us 13.3 PPG, 4.3 APG, and 1.5 SPG, shooting 39.1% for three. How insane.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:24 am
The only thing I don't miss is his contract. Other than that, I miss what he brought to the table. He was a very solid backup. I wish we had someone like Fish again because Cabbage just isn't cutting it and he's really starting to get on my nerves.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:43 am
xbaywarrior wrote:The only thing I don't miss is his contract. Other than that, I miss what he brought to the table. He was a very solid backup. I wish we had someone like Fish again because Cabbage just isn't cutting it and he's really starting to get on my nerves.

:withstupid: :wink:

Nothing else to say. If anyone knows a way to bring Fish back without his contract, I'm all for it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 am
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:The only thing I don't miss is his contract. Other than that, I miss what he brought to the table. He was a very solid backup. I wish we had someone like Fish again because Cabbage just isn't cutting it and he's really starting to get on my nerves.

:withstupid: :wink:

Nothing else to say. If anyone knows a way to bring Fish back without his contract, I'm all for it.

Hope Utah waives him... than aquire him for the vet minimum? :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:19 pm
Not my fault, blame Mullin.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:58 pm
You know. If you check out Cabbages stats for February they're pretty decent. I think he looks a lot better now. I think he works well as a backup pg. He's not starter material in the NBA but he's crafty and actually a good shooter. He just started out like crap with the warriors.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sarunas_j ... plits.html
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads