?'s about Dunleavy

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 pm
i am a pacer fan and i like to watch all of the nba ball i can catch. we don't get to see too many warrior games here in indy. when we get to see west coast teams it's usually a game with lakers, dallas, s.a., etc. so i can't say whether or not i think dunleavy deserves the critisism he gets from golden state fans. quinn buckner commentates for the pacers and he claims that it is due to him being such a high draft pick and getting such a good contract. he is quick to point out that although dunleavy can shoot the ball (we'll call him a "pretty good" shooter") he shouldn't be expected to shoot like ray allen or michael redd. he feels that his good (not great) shooting is part of his all around package of being a good basketball player with a great basketball i.q. so my question is, do you think that if you guys would have taken him lower in the draft and mullin wouldn't have given him that monster contract, would you guys have felt alot different about him? and if you answer yes, is it his fault that he was picked or he was offered that contract? i can relate to the large contract and not living up to the money thing, austin croshere was way overpaid here in indy. but, he was never hated for it. i am sure as warrior fans you have been over this subject a million times. and when the trade first went down i was upset that it would be dunleavy starting at the 2 instead of jack, but i have been impressed with dunleavy's willingness to get himself involved with other aspects of the game when his shot isn't falling.
Go Colts!!!!!!! Superbowl Champs!!!!!!!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:23 pm
I don't think that the same amount of resentment towards Dunny would have occurred if he had been taken, let's say 14th overall. The high draft selection hurt him as did his contract but it still came down to his inconsistent play.

However, if he hadn't been taken 3rd overall I doubt the same amount of patience in development would have been shown on the management's part. If he was taken 14th W's fans wouldn't have resented him so much but he probably wouldn't have had near the same opportunity to dissappoint as he had. I don't speak for all the Warriors fans but that's my take on how the whole thing might have played out.

How has the reception in Indy gone so far? I see he's still displaying the same inconsistency, shooting 25% some nights and 60% others, how is that going over?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:26 pm
David Dunn wrote:i am a pacer fan and i like to watch all of the nba ball i can catch. we don't get to see too many warrior games here in indy. when we get to see west coast teams it's usually a game with lakers, dallas, s.a., etc. so i can't say whether or not i think dunleavy deserves the critisism he gets from golden state fans. quinn buckner commentates for the pacers and he claims that it is due to him being such a high draft pick and getting such a good contract. he is quick to point out that although dunleavy can shoot the ball (we'll call him a "pretty good" shooter") he shouldn't be expected to shoot like ray allen or michael redd. he feels that his good (not great) shooting is part of his all around package of being a good basketball player with a great basketball i.q. so my question is, do you think that if you guys would have taken him lower in the draft and mullin wouldn't have given him that monster contract, would you guys have felt alot different about him? and if you answer yes, is it his fault that he was picked or he was offered that contract? i can relate to the large contract and not living up to the money thing, austin croshere was way overpaid here in indy. but, he was never hated for it. i am sure as warrior fans you have been over this subject a million times. and when the trade first went down i was upset that it would be dunleavy starting at the 2 instead of jack, but i have been impressed with dunleavy's willingness to get himself involved with other aspects of the game when his shot isn't falling.

can't speak for anyone else on the board, but...the thing is, he doesn't do anything (other than take charges) at an above average level, so the contract, his #3 pick, the appearance that management bent over backwards to accommodate him and give him playing time over better players, and his propensity for bitching out his teammates gained him a lot of disfavor here. As a 6th man making "only" 2 million a year and only getting the PT his performance earned, I think he would have had no problem here.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:36 pm
Thunder wrote:How has the reception in Indy gone so far? I see he's still displaying the same inconsistency, shooting 25% some nights and 60% others, how is that going over?
so far inconsistency hasn't been an issue, with the colts winning the superbowl and the latest legal troubles for some of the pacers, you don't hear much about the expectations of this new team. fans will start to focus more now, so time will tell. but, i have been impressed with some of the little things that he does when he is having a bad night shooting.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:38 pm
[/quote]
can't speak for anyone else on the board, but...the thing is, he doesn't do anything (other than take charges) at an above average level, so the contract, his #3 pick, the appearance that management bent over backwards to accommodate him and give him playing time over better players, and his propensity for bitching out his teammates gained him a lot of disfavor here. As a 6th man making "only" 2 million a year and only getting the PT his performance earned, I think he would have had no problem here.[/quote]never heard about that before...very interesting.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:42 pm
David Dunn wrote:

can't speak for anyone else on the board, but...the thing is, he doesn't do anything (other than take charges) at an above average level, so the contract, his #3 pick, the appearance that management bent over backwards to accommodate him and give him playing time over better players, and his propensity for bitching out his teammates gained him a lot of disfavor here. As a 6th man making "only" 2 million a year and only getting the PT his performance earned, I think he would have had no problem here.[/quote]never heard about that before...very interesting.[/quote]
yeah, there was a fair bit of on court chastising and finger-pointing going on, and some thinly veiled jabs at Baron in the chron, complaining about "street ball".
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 am
David Dunn wrote:do you think that if you guys would have taken him lower in the draft and mullin wouldn't have given him that monster contract, would you guys have felt alot different about him? and if you answer yes, is it his fault that he was picked or he was offered that contract?

Well, Colt has already told you about Dun sometimes bitching about his teammates to the media... and, about your questions, those are different issues.

I mean, Mullin got heat for picking him and for the contract (and that's having one of the best players of our history as VP... if not, he would probably have been fired), while Dun only got booed due to his (lack of) game. Plain and simple. He plays around 5 or 6 good games per year, and sucks pretty much the rest of the season...

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:21 am
Dun said that he was happy with the switch because Cleveland "plays the game right".

It is likely that the change from Duke, where every move and thought is controlled, to the Warriors was just too much of a cultural shock for him.

Cleveland is obviously a much more controlled environment where everyone has a specific and limited role.

A great athlete would like the Warrior way to show his stuff, while someone more limited would like the shelter of the controlled environment where he wouldn't be so exposed. Like Duke does it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:24 am
carlgo wrote:It is likely that the change from Duke, where every move and thought is controlled, to the Warriors was just too much of a cultural shock for him.

In other words... he just wants to be a role player. Or, as Josh Jamison would say, he's happy being a slacker.

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:54 am
Dunleavy is a kid of privledge who did not take any personal responsibilty for his game.

Mullin really messed up by choosing that stiff over Jameson, a 20-10 guy who exhibits leadership.

Give us Harrington, Jackson, Powell and Cabbage vs. Murphy, Dunleavy, Ike, and Robertson.

Dunleavy is a small forward who is not a good shooter. Dunleavy, in many ways, reminds me of Foyle; he is a guy who does not improve his game in the off-season. Compare that to Richardson, a guy who improves a different aspect of his game each off-season.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:55 am
carlgo wrote:Dun said that he was happy with the switch because Cleveland "plays the game right".

It is likely that the change from Duke, where every move and thought is controlled, to the Warriors was just too much of a cultural shock for him.

Cleveland is obviously a much more controlled environment where everyone has a specific and limited role.

A great athlete would like the Warrior way to show his stuff, while someone more limited would like the shelter of the controlled environment where he wouldn't be so exposed. Like Duke does it.

Uh, I think you mean Indiana don't you?

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:57 am
More on Dunleavy...

He would probably do well playing on a team that has a bonafide superstar, like an AI, and a bunch of role players. If he, Dunleavy, is counted on to lead a team, then that team is in trouble. We learned that the hard way.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 pm
Wanna know why Warriors fans are upset with Mike Dunleavy? Look at last year's stat line:

11.5 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 2.9 APG, 0.7 SPG, 0.4 BPG, and 1.5 T/O per game
Shooting 40.6% from the field, 28.5% for 3, and 77.8% from the line
IN 31.5 MINUTES A NIGHT

It's got nothing to do with his money, with how high he was drafted, or any of that pressure BS: its because the guy just plain doesn't have any game.

Mike likes to claim his game is "all-around". That's a joke. How many players in this league CANT average 11 points, 4.5 rebounds, and under 3 assists IN OVER 30 MINUTES A NIGHT...?

Mike is a morbid shooter, too. The so-called "good, not great" shooter is under 35% from the arc for his career. Not Ray Allen? No ****? I thought ALL great shooters shot 34% for 3...? :banghead:

Dunleavy (and ONLY Dunleavy) considers himself a playmaker. Yeah. Right. A 'play-maker' who commits a turnover for every couple of assists he dished out (and that's being GENEROUS; the guy averages 2.5 assists and 1.6 turnovers a game on his career).

Why do Warrior fans hate Mike Dunleavy...?
We don't.
At least, not anymore.
Because he's not our problem anymore.
We all had a GREAT time watching him go 4-for-15 against us on the 5th (attemping a season-high NINE three pointers, and only making 3 of them).

Warriors fans LOVE Mike Dunleavy now. His 37 minutes were a HUGE reason we took the Pacers for 15 points WITHOUT Jason Richardson or Baron Davis.

If you're wondering what's so bad about Mike... give him another 20 games. You'll see. :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm
Compared to Tayshuan and Amare or even Jamison (who was moved for other reasons) Dunleavy is a big bust. Compared to Jay Williams and Gooden, Dunleavy has underachieved but is not as bad as Warrior's fan like to think, and his former teammates (Piertrus, BD, Ellis, J-Rich, Murphy, Diogu, Foyle) all have serious flaws as well. Dunleavy is a much better player/shooter on a team that has a legit big man, a team like Indiana needed a good three that is unselfish and can make the pass to feed the low post scorer. The Warriors do not and will not have a decent front court player since Nellie banished C-Webb to the Eastern Conference and probably won't until Nellie retires or gets fired again. The trade was good for both teams, mostly Indiana in the short term (they got three rotation players for a cancer (Jackson) and two free agent flops (Sarunas and Harrington)). The Warriors gained with shorter contracts and more future cap room to resign both Ellis and Biedrins.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:04 pm
dareedle wrote:Compared to Tayshuan and Amare or even Jamison (who was moved for other reasons) Dunleavy is a big bust. Compared to Jay Williams and Gooden, Dunleavy has underachieved but is not as bad as Warrior's fan like to think, and his former teammates (Piertrus, BD, Ellis, J-Rich, Murphy, Diogu, Foyle) all have serious flaws as well. Dunleavy is a much better player/shooter on a team that has a legit big man, a team like Indiana needed a good three that is unselfish and can make the pass to feed the low post scorer. The Warriors do not and will not have a decent front court player since Nellie banished C-Webb to the Eastern Conference and probably won't until Nellie retires or gets fired again. The trade was good for both teams, mostly Indiana in the short term (they got three rotation players for a cancer (Jackson) and two free agent flops (Sarunas and Harrington)). The Warriors gained with shorter contracts and more future cap room to resign both Ellis and Biedrins.

I like your analytical thinking; however, I have to disagree with you on a couple of things as well:

1. Jackson is not a cancer; Dunleavy is a cancer. Dunleavy calls out his teammates in the media; yet, he, Dunleavy refuses to step up his game.
I do not ever recall Jackson finger-pointing.
2. In the short term as well as the long term, the trade benefits the Warriors. DunMurphy was sinking this team, could not play the uptempo game that Nelson employs, and forced Nelson to have to play Barnes for too many minutes each night.

Lastly, I do believe that the trade did benefit both teams. I am just glad that we Warrior fans are no longer tortured in having to watch Dunleavy and Murphy.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball