Who's to blame?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:07 am
Last night against the Knicks, Al and SJax combined for 41 shot attempts and together attempted just 2 free throws. That's a very scary statistic. If it's our fault and it's just shot selection, it's easy to see why we look so bad when these guys are cold.

On the other hand, if it's the ref's fault for not making more calls, what can we do to fix it? Our opponents don't seem to have this problem when they are scoring all over us inside, just ask Andris. He can't even breath on someone without the whistle.

Maybe Nellie needs to go out drinking with the refs \:D/

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:30 am
jsw548 wrote:On the other hand, if it's the ref's fault for not making more calls, what can we do to fix it? Our opponents don't seem to have this problem when they are scoring all over us inside, just ask Andris. He can't even breath on someone without the whistle.

Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington have the ability to shoot the Warriors into games and shoot them right out of games as well. Fortunately, Jackson shot well last night and the Warriors won.

As far as them getting to the line, don't blame the refs. More times than not, Al charges to the basket with his head cut off specifically looking for contact and he ends up throwing up a bad shot.

It is my belief that if I was a referee and a player was out of control and simply looking for a call to get to the line I would not call a foul on a play unless it was blatantly obvious. I think Al and Stephen need to learn better shot selection. These two are good drivers, but they need to start driving to score rather than simply to create a foul on the opponents to get to the line.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:57 am
Good topic for discussion.

While I was in Dallas a few years ago on an extended business trip, I had the opportunity to attend quite a few Mavs games. My seats were directly behind the Mavs bench. Nick Van Exel had just been traded to the Mavs and was being worked into their rotation. He, Van Exel, was jacking up shots from all over the court and missing them, but not badly. During one timeout after missing a few (what I believed to be bad and wild shots), Nelson yells at him: "Hey, I like your aggressiveness. Keep on shooting the ball like that, and it will start to go in!"

LOL.

Go figure.

I'm telling everyone on this board, if you are a backcourt player or a small forward, you want to play for Nelson. He, Nelson, gives the green light when other coaches would sit a guy down. Now, Nelson is not a championship caliber coach, but that's a whole different topic.

As for Harrington and Jackson, those guys must be ecstatic playing for Nelson. The only other guy that they might want to play for is Paul Westhead.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:05 am
I like the agressiveness... I would like to see more free throws as well, but hey, if the whistles are blowing then what can you do?

I think uptempo nailed it on the head when he said that Al and SJax can shoot us into and out of a game.... lets just hope they keep us in games more.

Remember, they still haven't "gelled" yet either... I think we'll see a more fluid offense towards the end of the year.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:23 am
WestCoast O wrote:I like the agressiveness... I would like to see more free throws as well, but hey, if the whistles are blowing then what can you do?

I think uptempo nailed it on the head when he said that Al and SJax can shoot us into and out of a game.... lets just hope they keep us in games more.

Remember, they still haven't "gelled" yet either... I think we'll see a more fluid offense towards the end of the year.

I believe that we should withhold judgement on this Warrior team until a week or two after the All Star break.

Some guys on the board have been critical of Harrington and Jackson; however, I commend Mullin for getting these guys. Murphy and Dunleavy did not fit well into Nelson's style of play.

BTW, my main criticisms of Nelson are his teams lacking defensive intensity and his teams' inappropriate reliance upon the zone defense (which also leads to poor defensive rebounding numbers).

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 am
uptempo wrote:Some guys on the board have been critical of Harrington and Jackson; however, I commend Mullin for getting these guys. Murphy and Dunleavy did not fit well into Nelson's style of play.

I have been critical of these two players on this board. I think their shot selection is horrible and I think the rebounding of these two players is almost non-existent. However, if one looks at my past posts, not once do I regret the trade. It was a move that had to be made and it was one that made sense for both teams involved.

Perhaps it is because of the freedom Nellie gives his players, but I do not think the Warriors and these two guys completely understand the value of a possession. Too many ill-advised shots, too many turnovers, etc. I know Nellie plays a style that boosts the number of possessions you get in a given game, but in the final five minutes of a game when each possession is under the microscope and execution is required, I think this team falls short.

As for uptempo's last comment, I agree with him about Nellie's approach to defense and rebounding. It is non-existent and that is a problem. Specifically when the team is not shooting. Don't kid yourselves about last night. The Warriors shot 60%. Their defense was still rubbish and their rebounding was not too good either. Good shooting will cure those woes, but it is on the nights when the shooting is not there where the Warriors completely get run out of the gym and lose by 20 or so. That is because of the defense and rebounding.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:15 pm
I give you a formula on the W's success!!!

If the W's don't shoot 60% or better throughout the game, they will lose because of their lack of rebouding and team defense!!!

If you think about it? They have to a perfect shooting % throughout the whole game. Because they let their opponents back in the game due to the other two mentioned!!!

I think have hired the wrong coach for this team!!! Nellie doesn't have the parts like how he did in Dallas!!! They had a good combination of guards and bigs!!!

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 pm
J-Rich wrote:I think have hired the wrong coach for this team!!! Nellie doesn't have the parts like how he did in Dallas!!! They had a good combination of guards and bigs!!!

They didn't hire Nelson to coach this team. After trading eight players back and forth it is an entirely different team.

And this team is much more what Nelson wanted than the old one.

You are right in that all the Ws have to do is get several big, fast superstars to balance the team.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 am
start finding out who to blame, if they dont make the playoffs, as of now keep your hopes up
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:29 am
carlgo wrote:
J-Rich wrote:I think have hired the wrong coach for this team!!! Nellie doesn't have the parts like how he did in Dallas!!! They had a good combination of guards and bigs!!!

They didn't hire Nelson to coach this team. After trading eight players back and forth it is an entirely different team.

You are right in that all the Ws have to do is get several big, fast superstars to balance the team.

a little easier said than done, bro. However, I agree w/uptempo, let's hold off. When Jrich and Pietrus are back, we will see. I remain hopeful and like the team A LOT better with Harringjax (jackington?) than with the turgid and ever uninspiring Dungleavy.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:35 am
jsw548 wrote:Last night against the Knicks, Al and SJax combined for 41 shot attempts and together attempted just 2 free throws. That's a very scary statistic. If it's our fault and it's just shot selection, it's easy to see why we look so bad when these guys are cold.

\:D/

jsw, where's my $100? they shot 56%, including 43% from 3 land and sjax scored 36 points, more than Dungleavy scored in 5 years here. They have given us 16 games of 17 or more points thus far, only 10 more than dungleavy gave us in over twice the games this year. Jackington are helping, not hurting...oh, and for the record, Jrich, the ws have shot 60% once this year, so if that were the requirement for them to win they would be 1-53, not 25-29 :|
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:07 am
jsw548 wrote:Last night against the Knicks, Al and SJax combined for 41 shot attempts and together attempted just 2 free throws. That's a very scary statistic. If it's our fault and it's just shot selection, it's easy to see why we look so bad when these guys are cold.

As I said before, the team is full of athletes and that means that they can get to the line at will BUT this team is a shoot jumpers more than enything else team and that will never lead to success. If they mixed it up, things would be so much better

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:17 am
coltraning wrote:
carlgo wrote:

a little easier said than done, bro. However, I agree w/uptempo, let's hold off. When Jrich and Pietrus are back, we will see. I remain hopeful and like the team A LOT better with Harringjax (jackington?) than with the turgid and ever uninspiring Dungleavy.

I was trying to be kind of sarcastic about just getting a bunch of stars."Turgid" is a great word. Sounds like what it means.

Return to Warriors Basketball