Man, that zone

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:06 am
Location: East Bay
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 am
our defense is terrible sure, but it wouldnt be so bad if we REBOUNDED the ball better. this is what kills us and makes our defense look that much worse. 2nd chance points.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Posts: 2759
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:our defense is terrible sure, but it wouldnt be so bad if we REBOUNDED the ball better. this is what kills us and makes our defense look that much worse. 2nd chance points.


Yes, you bring up a good point. Yesterday, the team did not even block out on free throw shots.

Nelson = great gimmick coach, drinks like a fish, funny to listen to on the radio, never will win a championship, does not coach fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

Larry Brown = great teacher of the game, a bit sanctimoneous, hard to listen to on the radio, has won championships, stresses fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 am
uptempo wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:our defense is terrible sure, but it wouldnt be so bad if we REBOUNDED the ball better. this is what kills us and makes our defense look that much worse. 2nd chance points.


Yes, you bring up a good point. Yesterday, the team did not even block out on free throw shots.

Nelson = great gimmick coach, drinks like a fish, funny to listen to on the radio, never will win a championship, does not coach fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

Larry Brown = great teacher of the game, a bit sanctimoneous, hard to listen to on the radio, has won championships, stresses fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

But I would rather have Nelson with this level of talent than Brown. Brown was the absolute worst coach for the Knicks last year, and the talent level is not hugely different between those two teams...Brown, as great as he is, was destructive in New York. Nelson can get a team to conference finals level, and this city would be thrilled with that after the long national nightmare of the past 14 years...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Posts: 2759
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:14 am
coltraning wrote:
uptempo wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:our defense is terrible sure, but it wouldnt be so bad if we REBOUNDED the ball better. this is what kills us and makes our defense look that much worse. 2nd chance points.


Yes, you bring up a good point. Yesterday, the team did not even block out on free throw shots.

Nelson = great gimmick coach, drinks like a fish, funny to listen to on the radio, never will win a championship, does not coach fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

Larry Brown = great teacher of the game, a bit sanctimoneous, hard to listen to on the radio, has won championships, stresses fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

But I would rather have Nelson with this level of talent than Brown. Brown was the absolute worst coach for the Knicks last year, and the talent level is not hugely different between those two teams...Brown, as great as he is, was destructive in New York. Nelson can get a team to conference finals level, and this city would be thrilled with that after the long national nightmare of the past 14 years...


Why not build for a championship? Anything less seems dishonest.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:54 pm
uptempo wrote:
coltraning wrote:
uptempo wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:our defense is terrible sure, but it wouldnt be so bad if we REBOUNDED the ball better. this is what kills us and makes our defense look that much worse. 2nd chance points.


Yes, you bring up a good point. Yesterday, the team did not even block out on free throw shots.

Nelson = great gimmick coach, drinks like a fish, funny to listen to on the radio, never will win a championship, does not coach fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

Larry Brown = great teacher of the game, a bit sanctimoneous, hard to listen to on the radio, has won championships, stresses fundamentals, especially defense and rebounding.

But I would rather have Nelson with this level of talent than Brown. Brown was the absolute worst coach for the Knicks last year, and the talent level is not hugely different between those two teams...Brown, as great as he is, was destructive in New York. Nelson can get a team to conference finals level, and this city would be thrilled with that after the long national nightmare of the past 14 years...


Why not build for a championship? Anything less seems dishonest.


We gotta crawl before we can walk. If Nelly takes us where he took the Mavs, Ill be happy, then we just find an Avery J. to take us higher.

We make the playoffs and get bounced in first round Im as juiced as Nelly during Happy Hour.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:
montastic wrote:No way we coulda played man 2 man with Dung n Murph. Now i think our roster is better suited to play man, with the only weakness being monta maybe Al against the Moster PF's in the West.

Exactly right; and don't forget, Biedrins is our only guy who can plug up the middle consistently... and he's foul-prone.

Dunleavy and Murphy were too slow for man-to-man... but Al and SJax are definately good for it. Nelly's been increasing the amount of man-to-man he's been playing... but, like I said, Monta's the weakness in that scheme.

When Tony Parker can post you up, you can't play in a man-to-man setting. It just don't work.


I have to respectfully disagree with you on your Monta analysis. He, Monta, is one of the team's best perimeter defenders. He pressures the ball, has great recovery skills, and jams the passing lanes. Yes, he can be posted up on; however, so can everyone else on this team.

The team has the athletes to play man defense. A gimmicky zone can always be broken down by NBA teams. It is Nelson's stubborness that keeps the team in the zone.

I agree that Monta is one of our toughest perimeter defenders (especially so in a zone scheme, where he can remain safely near the top of the key), but when Clare "Where's The Beef?" Peller can back you down under the rim, you have no business playing man-to-man...

Image
Above, we see yet another person who could take Monta in the post. The kid needs to beef up or we can't run man-to-man when he's in.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest