my critique of baron

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:32 pm
baron davis to most is known as a street baller, a former all-star, the ultimate competitor, a warrior. this is a man who oozes with talent, a player that makes the game look so easy at times. in a year which has seen him put up all-star like numbers, baron's team, the warriors have been anything but consistent, a roller coaster ride to say the least.

there are a few factors at stake here:

4. jason richardson. the warriors have missed his leadership and toughness both mentally and physically, especially on the road.

3. lack of experience. the warriors are the 2nd youngest team in the nba.

2. rebounding. you can put this category under defense if you'd like. this has killed the warriors the most this year, teams' 2nd chance points due to poor rebounding has been the biggest thorn in the side thus far.

1. a true all-star. baron davis is a true talent no one can deny that. there are times when you watch him do things that are simply amazing and you are wooed beyond belief. then there are those times that seem to happen more than they should--shooting way to many jump shots(usually bricks)dribbling and dribbling while the shot clock winds down causing the offense to become stagnant--when the warriors are shooting good, great, but its when the warriors aren't--thats what concerns me. true all-star's can take over a game almost will, but in baron, i see him miss a few shots or turn the ball over and he gets more and more frustrated. sometimes i wonder if he lacks that mental toughness that other special players possess that makes them great. im just waiting for him to mature and get to that next level. i hope he has it somewhere in him. i'd hate to see him get labled as "overrated". you know, guys like stevie francis and stephon marbury... stats are great, and they may even get you to an all-star game or two, but give me a guy who can make plays when it really counts.
Last edited by Slammin40oz on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:35 pm
Or, in simpler terms, Baron is amazing.

So why's everyone bashing him for missing ONE game...?

Your guess is as good as mine. But we all know Baron's the man. No need for so many Baron-bashing threads, or Baron-saving threads.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:15 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:baron davis to most is known as a street baller, a former all-star, the ultimate competitor, a warrior. this is a man who oozes with talent, a player that makes the game look so easy at times. in a year which has seen him put up all-star like numbers, baron's team, the warriors have been anything but consistent, a roller coaster ride to say the least.

4. jason richardson. the warriors have missed his leadership and toughness both mentally and physically, especially on the road.

2. rebounding. you can put this category under defense if you'd like. this has killed the warriors the most this year, teams' 2nd chance points due to poor rebounding has been the biggest thorn in the side thus far.

1. a true all-star. baron davis is a true talent no one can deny that. there are times when you watch him do things that are simply amazing and you are wooed beyond belief. then there are those times that seem to happen more than they should--shooting way to many jump shots(usually bricks)dribbling and dribbling while the shot clock winds down causing the offense to become stagnant--when the warriors are shooting good, great, but its when the warriors aren't--thats what concerns me. true all-star's can take over a game almost will, but in baron, i see him miss a few shots or turn the ball over and get more and more frustrated. im just waiting for him to mature and get to that next level. i hope he has it somewhere in him. i'd hate to see him get labled as "overrated". you know, guys like stevie francis and stephon marbury... stats are great, and they may even get you to an all-star game or two, but give me a guy who can make plays when it really counts.

chronic - this is one of the most thoughtful and balanced posts on the Baron conundrum I have read. Neither a diatribe against him nor a diatribe against those who see his flaws. Instead, it is a realistic look at our gifted but inconsistent star. Congrats! My hope is that with JRich, Harrington, Jax, Ellis and Biedrins, he finally has the cast where he can trust his teammates more in the crunch.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:27 pm
This whole baron is a quitter thing has spiraled way out of control. I think we all agree that baron is the man and that he was disgruntled on the hornets but guys it was one game! Give the man a chance, hes the leader of this team and he knows what the hell hes doing. BTW bone bruises suck nuts you can barely walk it there in your legs!

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:41 pm
coltraning wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:baron davis to most is known as a street baller, a former all-star, the ultimate competitor, a warrior. this is a man who oozes with talent, a player that makes the game look so easy at times. in a year which has seen him put up all-star like numbers, baron's team, the warriors have been anything but consistent, a roller coaster ride to say the least.

1. a true all-star. baron davis is a true talent no one can deny that. there are times when you watch him do things that are simply amazing and you are wooed beyond belief. then there are those times that seem to happen more than they should--shooting way to many jump shots(usually bricks)dribbling and dribbling while the shot clock winds down causing the offense to become stagnant--when the warriors are shooting good, great, but its when the warriors aren't--thats what concerns me. true all-star's can take over a game almost will, but in baron, i see him miss a few shots or turn the ball over and get more and more frustrated. im just waiting for him to mature and get to that next level. i hope he has it somewhere in him. i'd hate to see him get labled as "overrated". you know, guys like stevie francis and stephon marbury... stats are great, and they may even get you to an all-star game or two, but give me a guy who can make plays when it really counts.

chronic - this is one of the most thoughtful and balanced posts on the Baron conundrum I have read. Neither a diatribe against him nor a diatribe against those who see his flaws. Instead, it is a realistic look at our gifted but inconsistent star. Congrats! My hope is that with JRich, Harrington, Jax, Ellis and Biedrins, he finally has the cast where he can trust his teammates more in the crunch.

thanks man, thats all i was trying to do.

NOT bash on him for missing a game. in fact that is one thing i didn't mention that i will give him credit for right now, that this year he's been more durable than he has in a long time! but that wasn't the point of my post.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 pm
coltraning wrote: My hope is that with JRich, Harrington, Jax, Ellis and Biedrins, he finally has the cast where he can trust his teammates more in the crunch.

That is also a good point. I hope it happens.

Like the chicken or egg question, does Baron fire up those terrible threes because nobody else is moving around and getting open, or does the team go into hottie-spotting mode because they know Baron will just dribble around and fire it up anyway?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:33 pm
carlgo wrote:
coltraning wrote: My hope is that with JRich, Harrington, Jax, Ellis and Biedrins, he finally has the cast where he can trust his teammates more in the crunch.

Like the chicken or egg question, does Baron fire up those terrible threes because nobody else is moving around and getting open, or does the team go into hottie-spotting mode because they know Baron will just dribble around and fire it up anyway?

Great question! There does seem to be better ball movement when he is not controlling the ball. Is that because they are all waiting for him to create or because they see no point in moving? Oh, and the answer is 5,678,921.37 (number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin)

ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:03 am
coltraning wrote:
carlgo wrote:

Great question! There does seem to be better ball movement when he is not controlling the ball. Is that because they are all waiting for him to create or because they see no point in moving? Oh, and the answer is 5,678,921.37 (number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin)

You know. I don't think there's better ball-movement when he's out. There's been a couple of games when we've been surprisingly good when he's been injured but generally we fall apart when he's on the bench. We don't move the ball. We can barely complete a single pass without turning it over.

It's like with Lebron. There's plenty of evidence that the cavs are a terrible team when he's on the bench. It so happens that they've pulled a couple of good victories out of their asses when LBJ's been injured. That's not to say that these games are the only times we've seen them without Lebron and ditto for Baron. We're usually stinking it up badly when Baron's on the bench.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:15 am
#32 wrote:Or, in simpler terms, Baron is amazing.

So why's everyone bashing him for missing ONE game...?

Your guess is as good as mine. But we all know Baron's the man. No need for so many Baron-bashing threads, or Baron-saving threads.

Thanks for the simpler terms, much easier. I never said anything about Barons game. I think he has the skills to be the best PG in the game, MVP Championship Caliber PG. But when the going gets tough, Baron sits out the rest of the season "and gets ready for next season"!
formerly known as tradedunleavy

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:26 am
What you are saying is worse, basically calling Baron a liar/injury faking/pu$$y/quitter... :evil:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:42 am
montastic wrote: But when the going gets tough, Baron sits out the rest of the season "and gets ready for next season"!

*SIIGH*

oh look, there it is again
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:13 am
cladden wrote:
coltraning wrote:
carlgo wrote:

You know. I don't think there's better ball-movement when he's out. There's been a couple of games when we've been surprisingly good when he's been injured but generally we fall apart when he's on the bench. We don't move the ball. We can barely complete a single pass without turning it over.

It's like with Lebron. There's plenty of evidence that the cavs are a terrible team when he's on the bench. It so happens that they've pulled a couple of good victories out of their asses when LBJ's been injured. That's not to say that these games are the only times we've seen them without Lebron and ditto for Baron. We're usually stinking it up badly when Baron's on the bench.

maybe with BD, we are 3-3 when he is out this year. I know that overall our record was much worse without him than with him last year. However did you know that the Cavs are 8-2 with Lebron out! That is fascinating...

ImageImage
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:26 am
#32 wrote:we all know Baron's the man.

Adonal's The Man too!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:35 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:
coltraning wrote:

thanks man, thats all i was trying to do.

NOT bash on him for missing a game. in fact that is one thing i didn't mention that i will give him credit for right now, that this year he's been more durable than he has in a long time! but that wasn't the point of my post.

well so much for that. he's going to end up missing half a season including the ones he's already missed this year. great timing. just when j-rich was going to come back. i think ellis will do well. we just need j-rich back.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:43 pm
Seriously, good-bye playoffs. GOD DAMMIT.

Return to Warriors Basketball