WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WARRIORS?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:49 pm
#32 wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:Let's be honest. mullin counted on POB to help THIS YEAR.

Absolutely false. Patrick O'Bryant was projected as a project. A 'long-term' project, at that. Every team in the league knew this kid needed to bulk up and hone his offense more. There's not a chance in hell that Chris Mullin expected him to be NBA ready out of the gate. The D-League was in his future from the start.

ReginaldLewis wrote:Yes he's a project but I'm sure Mully did not think that he was THIS RAW. Mullin and everyone know that the Warriors are not good enough to draft projects. We need guys that can play now.

The only other impact players on the board, at the time, were Rodney Carney and Marcus Williams. We weren't gonna take Williams (because we already have a Baron-Monta tandem at PG) and Carney was another swingman (and this team already has too many of them). The Warriors entered the draft looking for a big man (if they couldn't land Gay, which they knew they wouldn't). They left with the best center (read: not PF, like Alderige or Thomas) in the draft. It was gonna either be Sene or O'Bryant and Mullin took O'Bryant. He did the only possible thing that ever had a chance of helping the team. If O'Bryant busts, we lose nothing. If he blows up, we're solid at center (starter and backup). Win/win.

ReginaldLewis wrote:3. nelly has forgotten how good Barnes and Pietrus has played for him. The new guys are getting all the playing time. Barnes and Pietrus were important cogs when the Warriors were playing well. i don't blame them for being a little down right now.

Pietrus, maybe, but Barnes majorly fell off in the month of January. Nelly pulled on the choke-chain a little and Barnes is rebounding back into his normal form. The more consistent Barnes and Pietrus become, the more minutes they get. Besides, both of these guys still get plenty of time (considering how many players can man their positions). Both still have a role. On a team like this, that's all you need.

ReginaldLewis wrote:4. Jackson should be benched and Harrington needs to get his big ass on the boards more. Especially defensively. Poor Andris is out there fighting by himself until pietrus comes into the game.

Jackson is streaky; you bench him and you miss games like Indiana (where he dumped 36 on their heads). As far as Harrington, read Pest's stats on the guy. He's not rebounding, but he's boxing out really well. Is it any wonder that Biedrins is now grabbing 18 boards or 15 boards when Harrington plays big minutes?

Reg and 32, great dialogue here.

I take a different perspective on POB; I would like to see him on the NBA team spelling Biedrens and practicing with NBA players.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:55 pm
I agree. POB did not want to go down to the D-League. When Nelly gave him the alternative he stated he would rather stay up here and practice with the NBA caliber players. I think is initial poor play in the D-League reflected that he was propably sulking a little bit. Who can blame him. We all sulk on a demotion, even if it is for our own good. When he was brought back up for that one game (Clippers?), he seemed more spirited and I'm sure he wanted to stay, but Nelly sent him down again. that's got to hurt your spirits as a player.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:58 pm
No doubt. But it's good to see he's taking to the challenge. His recent games have looked a lot better.

Improvement's the kids MO. So far, I'm seeing it. Slowly, but I'm seeing it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:31 am
All I want to know about POB is the kid tough or not??? If hes tough he gots a chance, if hes soft then he doesnt.
formerly known as tradedunleavy
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:17 am
montastic wrote:All I want to know about POB is the kid tough or not??? If hes tough he gots a chance, if hes soft then he doesnt.

That's the main problem with him. He's soft. WAAAAAAAY too soft.

Actually, this should have been his pic in the Ws site:

:mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 am
O'Bryant's last 5 games in D-League:

16.6 PPG, 10.4 RPG, 2.6 BPG, 1.4 APG, 3.6 FPG
58% from the field, 74% from the line
In 34 MPG

Sounds good enough to back up Andris already. Imagine the kid with another season to grow. Imagine him with 3 seasons (like Andris).

Don Nelson wrote:"He'll be back up here as soon as their (D-League's) season is over... if not sooner, the way he's been playing lately."
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:38 am
#32 wrote:O'Bryant's last 5 games in D-League:

16.6 PPG, 10.4 RPG, 2.6 BPG, 1.4 APG, 3.6 FPG
58% from the field, 74% from the line
In 34 MPG

Sounds good enough to back up Andris already. Imagine the kid with another season to grow. Imagine him with 3 seasons (like Andris).

Don Nelson wrote:"He'll be back up here as soon as their (D-League's) season is over... if not sooner, the way he's been playing lately."

This is great news!
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball