Be honest. Are the Warriors making the playoffs?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 am
DeS wrote:
Harrington doesn't make a team win. His stats are nice but he isn't a winner. I'd rather trade him for someone that makes a difference

A good point! Imho, that's why Indiana gave away Harrington as easily...
:roll:
TEAMS win :!: & Al is a player that is thriving in the system that Mullin is currently constructing for Nellie, also Al & Baron's game compliment's each other's along with the style of play & chemistry :!: Add J Rich to the mix & watch Mullin add a final factor Big without giving up Monta or Bedrins :D
Last edited by O.G. Broe on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:32 am
O.G. broe wrote:
DeS wrote:
Harrington doesn't make a team win. His stats are nice but he isn't a winner. I'd rather trade him for someone that makes a difference

:roll:

I mean - Indiana tried to get him so hard and then they shipped him so fast. Imho Pacers managment thought that Al neither is good fit for this Pacers team nor he is a difference maker as an individual player. Without Al pacers were .50 team and with him they remained at the same point.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 am
DeS wrote:

I don't think so. I think it's just bad luck on his side. He's been in situations in which he couldn't succeed. He's just a bad fit near Jermaine in Indy... and Atlanta was terrible. He was the only option that team had.

Now he has some talented teammates and he's going to play the position he wants to play... This is were he'll have to show what kind of player he really is.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:11 am
Perhaps this is off topic, but one thing that I have NOT liked since the trade is the amount of isolation and one-on-one play from the Warriors. Most every offensive set involves Baron, Stephen Jackson or Al Harrington getting the ball backing it down or trying to drive to the basket to score or draw a foul.

Unfortunately, it is not working all that well and because of this, the offense is stagnant and the rest of the players are standing around watching.

The one-on-one stuff does not happen every single time down the floor, but it happens over 65-70% of the time which is just way too much if you ask me. Once in a while in certain situations it is okay to play this way, but the Warriors need to learn to play team basketball and pass the ball and find open players.

Al Harrington seems to want to shoot the ball every time he touches it and unfortunately, he is inconsistent. Some games he will keep you in games with this good shooting, but others he can literally shoot the Warriors out of a game.

As I have said in the past before Al joined the team, he is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the 21st century in the fact that he puts up great stats for bad teams that do not win and make the playoffs. I hope this changes with Al as he does have some talent, but basketball is a TEAM game and until Al and the Warriors figure this out they will struggle and NOT make the playoffs any time soon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:10 pm
I agree, the Warriors have seemed to suddenly playing the 1v1 game. I screamed during the Cavs and Hawks game to dish and drive. But yet, they chose the perimeter and to set up a shot for themselves. Where's the dimes Baron? The Warriors could be attempting up to 50 free throws a game if they learned how to drive and not jack up, especially when struggling.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:12 pm
TMC wrote:
DeS wrote:

I don't think so. I think it's just bad luck on his side. He's been in situations in which he couldn't succeed. He's just a bad fit near Jermaine in Indy... and Atlanta was terrible. He was the only option that team had.

Now he has some talented teammates and he's going to play the position he wants to play... This is were he'll have to show what kind of player he really is.

I just don't see him helping his team that much. He has talent but it has never translated into wins

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 pm
I agree with all the sentiments about moving towards way too many 1 on 1 plays in the offense. As if our half-court offense wasn't already stagnant enough! It seems especially apparent when Jax and Al try to back someone down. It just doesn't work that well. It seems like they back someone down, and just get the ball stolen or knocked away without even getting a shot off a large majority of the time. It just looks like bad basketball. Neither of those guys are really good enough to play like that consistently. Baron is better, but not jax or al. Oh yeay, and Jasikevicious sucks. Maybea little better than Mcleod (who got in the game tonight, and did the EXACT same awful drive-into-traffic-and-get-stripped play he always pulled on the Warriors) but his handle isbad and he can't really shoot very well.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:25 pm
I agree for the most part with Migya - Harrington is not (and has not been) the kind of impact player we need on this team. I remember #32 writing a post in the offseason about how Al was way overrated and just cares about scoring and no other aspects of his game. I always thought that to be the case, and never wanted him either. Then people said he would thrive under this system, but he's proven to be the same one-dimensinal player he always has been. He's sloppy when handling the ball, and turn it over way too much when he backs guys down. He makes some nifty passes, but is inconsistent and ends up throwing a lot away, too.

With Jasikevicious showing he's pretty bad, Al being same old Al (tough still better than Dun and Murph), Jax being cancelled out by JRich and our plethora of wings, it doesn't seem like we've really improved as a team with this trade. I'm not saying it was a bad trade (twas a good one actually, if for no other reason than a little cap relief) but we essentially traded unwanted players for unwanted players (minus Ike and Powell- who I think could be pretty good), and haven't really gotten better.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
DeS wrote:

I just don't see him helping his team that much. He has talent but it has never translated into wins

I am w/TMC. he's never been on a good team. Even Jordan needed help and Al ain't MJ. However, after watching tonight, does anyone think Indy did anything but take a step backwards by trading him and Jax away for Murphy and Dun? Harrington played on a horrible Atlanta team and look at Indy tonight. They have O"neal and nothing, having traded away their 2nd and 3rd best players. Harrington is a great 3rd option on a team, and when Jrich gets back, that's what he'll be. He is completely capable of getting ws 18 points and 7 boards a game, and going off for 28-30 every 4th or 5th game. Face it, if ws were in the East with their current line-up, they'd be 8 games over 500 and if Indy were in the west they'd be 8 games under.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:36 pm
It's true, we're clearly better than the Pacers. Dun still sucks as bad as ever.

I'm anxious for JRich's return. Can't wait to see if everyone can really settle into their roles, and if Al can surrender some of his scoring to jrich.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 am
coltraning wrote:Harrington is a great 3rd option on a team, and when Jrich gets back, that's what he'll be.

Maybe he will be a good 3rd option but there is also the possibility that he will get unhappy without not getting the ball alot. He is doing alright so far here and if he keeps it up or thereabouts, he will be an asset but he has not been anything more than a good individual player so far in his career

migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 am
ChicagoTom wrote:Perhaps this is off topic, but one thing that I have NOT liked since the trade is the amount of isolation and one-on-one play from the Warriors. Most every offensive set involves Baron, Stephen Jackson or Al Harrington getting the ball backing it down or trying to drive to the basket to score or draw a foul.

Unfortunately, it is not working all that well and because of this, the offense is stagnant and the rest of the players are standing around watching.

The one-on-one stuff does not happen every single time down the floor, but it happens over 65-70% of the time which is just way too much if you ask me. Once in a while in certain situations it is okay to play this way, but the Warriors need to learn to play team basketball and pass the ball and find open players.

Al Harrington seems to want to shoot the ball every time he touches it and unfortunately, he is inconsistent. Some games he will keep you in games with this good shooting, but others he can literally shoot the Warriors out of a game.

As I have said in the past before Al joined the team, he is the Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the 21st century in the fact that he puts up great stats for bad teams that do not win and make the playoffs. I hope this changes with Al as he does have some talent, but basketball is a TEAM game and until Al and the Warriors figure this out they will struggle and NOT make the playoffs any time soon.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You've opened my eyes. I played basketball for years organized and street ball and this makes perfect sense. And with todays game vs. Pacers you could see this playing out. (although SJAX shot incredibly tonight and thats not gonna happen every night out) But offense was alot smoother

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 am
We have a good chance to make the playoff despite our warts. Denver and Minny look just as lost as the Warriors, and unfortuanately, CP is back and leading the Hornets to victories. So far BD legacy is one of a coach killer, bad shot selection, fourth quarter cramp artist and not as good as point guard as his replacement CP in New Orleans. He has the opportunity to led the GMen to the playoffs and re-establish himself as an elite point guard in the league. Hopefully, Mullin can pull the trigger and trade away some prospects or swingmen for a nice all round defensive minded role player (PJ Brown, Bowen, Battier, Nocioni, Q Ross type of player). Although, it was nice to move the Murphy contract ... the Warriors need to move the BD contract in the off-season and solidify a core around Biedrins and Ellis.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 am
As I said once before, Stephen jackson plays way below the rim for someone that is 6'8". He just doesn't jump. Did you see Armstrong block his layup? Harrington's rebound numbers look much better than what they really are. He gets loose ball rebounds and long rebounds. He refuses to mix it up. he dosen't stick his nose in there like Pietrus or Barnes. Again, he plays small for a big 6'10" guy. With his size, he should be a monster near the hoop but it appears his best move is shooting the 3. It appears that Powell is the toughest guy in the trade.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:35 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:Perhaps this is off topic, but one thing that I have NOT liked since the trade is the amount of isolation and one-on-one play from the Warriors. Most every offensive set involves Baron, Stephen Jackson or Al Harrington getting the ball backing it down or trying to drive to the basket to score or draw a foul.

Dunno if this is wholly true, but it reminds me of the Pacers with mark jackson, rik smits, miller, bender, and harrington.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball