Baron & Kidd

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:53 am
aletha33 wrote:i'll be the first to say nellie's gotta go... small-ball...all style, no substance don't you think?


I don't know... on one side, I agree that his style probably won't take us further than a first round exit, if we make it that far.

On the other... it could be even worse. I mean, who's available that would be better than Nellie?. That's a big problem.

I think Nellie should be given some leeway and time to tinker with the roster, more than firing him... It's not like we have a better option waiting in the wings.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13530
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:36 pm
Isn't it funny how everybody's praising the new, Nellyball lineup and system all throughout the season... but as soon as the team hits another slump, we're talking about blowing up the team core again? :wink:

This is the same sort of talk that was going on when Murphy and Dunleavy were here. The team's changed, but the arguments coming from non-believers hasn't.

Give this new lineup time to play together. It hasn't even been 10 games yet. Chill out.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:38 pm
#32 wrote:Isn't it funny how everybody's praising the new, Nellyball lineup and system all throughout the season... but as soon as the team hits another slump, we're talking about blowing up the team core again? :wink:

This is the same sort of talk that was going on when Murphy and Dunleavy were here. The team's changed, but the arguments coming from non-believers hasn't.

Give this new lineup time to play together. It hasn't even been 10 games yet. Chill out.


This is true, but unfortunately this means the team will not make the playoffs. We couldn't afford a slip like this. Maybe next year.

Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:39 pm
i think these are the types of players we would be able to pull

76ers Samuel Dalembert...
Knicks David Lee...
Nuggets Reggie Evans...

all fairly big guys they all board and block fairly well...expect Lee as much...but like guys have said we won't be able to pull an impact player without giving up players we don't wanna give up...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm
#32 wrote:Isn't it funny how everybody's praising the new, Nellyball lineup and system all throughout the season... but as soon as the team hits another slump, we're talking about blowing up the team core again? :wink:

This is the same sort of talk that was going on when Murphy and Dunleavy were here. The team's changed, but the arguments coming from non-believers hasn't.

Give this new lineup time to play together. It hasn't even been 10 games yet. Chill out.


i said if we obtain the interior presence we covet, and nellie STILL resorts solely to this small-ball philosophy, he'll need to go.

the caveat with that "give them time" philosophy is simple - THIS STYLE DOESN'T WORK. I'll give them 10 more games, 30 more games, hell, i'll give them 1 year...and you know what, come the end of that period, the same fricken problems will exist...

sure, we'll win more games, bring exciting ball to the Oracle, yada yada yadaa...but this style lacks substance (definitely not flare tho) - always has, always will...- i mean, hey, if you're content with that, i respect that. but this is not how a winning team is built - and by winning, i mean having aspirations to win it all.

when we're hitting from the perimeter, we can beat anyone...when we're off, we can lose to anybody...that's the beauty and danger of being perimeter oriented... this will never change.

no low post threat to give it to, no easy put backs, give up 2nd and 3rd chance points, getting hurt every night by otherwise average big men

so if you think im voicing my concerns now just b/c we've lost two games to two very beatable teams, you are mistaken.

anyone who's knowledgeable should know this style, this team AS IS, will simply not cut it.

i dont know how anyone can argue this. but im sure everyone's gonna try.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13530
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:25 pm
I like Lee... but I think the Knicks do, too, so he'll be tough to get. Evans would be a decent bench player. Dalembert's making WAAAAY too much money for the lackluster production (though he'd probably break out on the Warriors - he's athletic enough).

aletha33 wrote:i said if we obtain the interior presence we covet, and nellie STILL resorts solely to this small-ball philosophy, he'll need to go.

the caveat with that "give them time" philosophy is simple - THIS STYLE DOESN'T WORK. I'll give them 10 more games, 30 more games, hell, i'll give them 1 year...and you know what, come the end of that period, the same fricken problems will exist...

sure, we'll win more games, bring exciting ball to the Oracle, yada yada yadaa...but this style lacks substance (definitely not flare tho) - always has, always will...- i mean, hey, if you're content with that, i respect that. but this is not how a winning team is built - and by winning, i mean having aspirations to win it all.

when we're hitting from the perimeter, we can beat anyone...when we're off, we can lose to anybody...that's the beauty and danger of being perimeter oriented... this will never change.

no low post threat to give it to, no easy put backs, give up 2nd and 3rd chance points, getting hurt every night by otherwise average big men

so if you think im voicing my concerns now just b/c we've lost two games to two very beatable teams, you are mistaken.

anyone who's knowledgeable should know this style, this team AS IS, will simply not cut it.

i dont know how anyone can argue this. but im sure everyone's gonna try.

What do you mean by "won't cut it"? This team has been out of the playoffs for 12 years. If they make the postseason, that's progress any way you slice it. Championship caliber teams don't fall into anybody's lap (unless you're Pat Riley). Duncan and Shaq make their teams championship-contenders... aside from that, you've got to build one from scratch. So far, with Mullin at the helm, we've gone from the league doormat to a playoff-contender. If we make the playoffs, that's another step. It's a long road ahead. Don't get ahead of yourself.

I understand the hardest thing for a fan to do is wait, but thats what Warrior fans need to do to see results. Saint Jean blew up the team every year, in hopes of finding a winning combination. It doesn't happen that way. Thank God Mullin understands that.
Last edited by 32 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:27 pm
TMC wrote:
aletha33 wrote:i'll be the first to say nellie's gotta go... small-ball...all style, no substance don't you think?


I don't know... on one side, I agree that his style probably won't take us further than a first round exit, if we make it that far.

On the other... it could be even worse. I mean, who's available that would be better than Nellie?. That's a big problem.

I think Nellie should be given some leeway and time to tinker with the roster, more than firing him... It's not like we have a better option waiting in the wings.


tmc, you're taking my quote out of context... let's include the entire quote next time...

all good though, aaaall good :wink:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:13 pm
#32 wrote:What do you mean by "won't cut it"? This team has been out of the playoffs for 12 years. If they make the postseason, that's progress any way you slice it. Championship caliber teams don't fall into anybody's lap (unless you're Pat Riley). Duncan and Shaq make their teams championship-contenders... aside from that, you've got to build one from scratch. So far, with Mullin at the helm, we've gone from the league doormat to a playoff-contender. If we make the playoffs, that's another step. It's a long road ahead. Don't get ahead of yourself.

I understand the hardest thing for a fan to do is wait, but thats what Warrior fans need to do to see results. Saint Jean blew up the team every year, in hopes of finding a winning combination. It doesn't happen that way. Thank God Mullin understands that.


of course of course...baby steps..i get that. just b/c i mention the word championship doesn't mean i expect one now or that we're close...believe me, if anyone understands that that's me...a gradual process...BUT...

but you're leading that baby down the wrong path to begin with.

i'm saying there needs to be a shift in philosophy - this small ball is not gonna work - period. it will NEVER work. is that what i said by won't cut it? i think it is...but im too lazy to check.

i'm not saying that it's not gonna change, that nellie/mully won't pull of another trade...that we won't bring in various other pieces.

Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:44 pm
aletha33 wrote:i'm saying there needs to be a shift in philosophy - this small ball is not gonna work - period. it will NEVER work. is that what i said by won't cut it? i think it is...but im too lazy to check.


never say never aletha...

suns play quite the small ball, not only is there flashes of brillance there is also substance, and are in pretty good shape this year.

mavs play a bit of small themselves and if you compare rosters to both of those teams we may be a bit behind but if you plant the seed, something is bound to grow.

the problem, err..., the hardest part about defense and rebounding is that it can be done as a team to work. you can have the defensive stoppers of MP and Sjax but if there is only 2 guys giving 120% on defense while the other 3 half-ass it, it doesn't work, but i know you know that so im not goin to preach. But the crazy thing about basketball is there is such a level of understanding your teammates to know where each other are on the floor, and that can't be picked up in 2 weeks, even if Baron has played with Al and Sjax over the summer the other 9 players on the roster haven't.

If you look back on the past 13 some odd years we haven't made the playoffs if you look back you'll notice the only constant is, my boy, adonal foyle, and there isn't much to brag about there, :wink: , but thats not just the Warriors fault, thats also free-agency and salary caps fault but that finger can also be pointed in the direction of those who sit in fancy chairs and 3 mile long desks and sign the checks for the players.

so once the warriors overcome the hard part of not playing "all-star game" caliber defense and understand the game their collegues play the warriors won't gel until its down to the wire, and thats with J-Rich in the starting lineup, =)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13530
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:17 pm
aletha33 wrote:of course of course...baby steps..i get that. just b/c i mention the word championship doesn't mean i expect one now or that we're close...believe me, if anyone understands that that's me...a gradual process...BUT...

but you're leading that baby down the wrong path to begin with.

i'm saying there needs to be a shift in philosophy - this small ball is not gonna work - period. it will NEVER work. is that what i said by won't cut it? i think it is...but im too lazy to check.

i'm not saying that it's not gonna change, that nellie/mully won't pull of another trade...that we won't bring in various other pieces.

I have no doubt that more trades are on the way. Even if it's not this season, Mullin isn't done shifting things around. He knows he has a surplus of wingmen (good wingmen, too, not just so-so players) and a lack of toughness inside. I'd be shocked if he doesn't address those issues. He's already tried in the draft (by taking Patrick O'Bryant, the best available shot-blocker in the class). Trades will be next.

He's rid of Murphy and Dunleavy. Now he doesn't have any bloated contracts to worry about in a trade. He can move talent for talent.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:36 am
aletha33 wrote:tmc, you're taking my quote out of context... let's include the entire quote next time...

all good though, aaaall good :wink:


Hey, I was answering to the whole post. Just cut the quote to not make it too big...

Squalldip mentioned two good examples of small ball that work. Dallas and Phoenix play the kind of bball Nellie preaches. Of course, they have two MVP contenders to do it in Nash and Nowitzky... but if it doesn't work, it's not a problem of the system, but the roster.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:00 pm
TMC wrote:
aletha33 wrote:tmc, you're taking my quote out of context... let's include the entire quote next time...

all good though, aaaall good :wink:


Hey, I was answering to the whole post. Just cut the quote to not make it too big...

Squalldip mentioned two good examples of small ball that work. Dallas and Phoenix play the kind of bball Nellie preaches. Of course, they have two MVP contenders to do it in Nash and Nowitzky... but if it doesn't work, it's not a problem of the system, but the roster.


ahhh...my bad tmc...it just does read a bit differently...anyway.

TMC wrote:but if it doesn't work, it's not a problem of the system, but the roster.


soo, this leads to the next question...is it easier to change the roster or one's philosophy?

good coaches are adaptable in that they adjust their systems according to the roster they have assembled.

im not saying nellie needs to completely change his philosophy..but obviously, the sh*t he runs now aint working. it's one thing to be competitive vs the likes of the lebron-less cavs and sorry-a** hawks...it's another thing to get BLOWN OUT.

notice how yesterday the focus of practice was defense? wow, when have we ever heard this to ever happen? instead of so much attention on offense, i like what nellie did...

that's a start.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron