Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 am
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.

except that we don't hold our opponents to a low fg%. We're #20 in the league in fg% allowed and #24 in the league in adj fg% allowed. And steals and blocks are partially amplified because of more possessions.

Exactly... our defense is bad no matter how you look at it. It's mainly based on forcing turnovers. We have a more than decent offense... and there's a reason we're still below .500

Right... the reason is because we can't win away from home. If the Warriors played half as well on the road as they did in the Oracle, they'd be 10 games over .500...

yes, but if they played even average defense they'd be ten games above .500 as well
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 pm
#32 wrote:Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.

Let's see, when we gave up 61 at the half to the Lakers, everyone said it wasn't our horrible defense. What do you call it when you give up 67 points in the first half, without Lebron, Pavlovic's season high and Clevelands season high first quarter and first half scoring?

I would love to see Nellie put Pietrus on the bench and let Powell start with Andris, Monta, Harrington and Baron. I hope Monta's ankle is OK.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:49 pm
Somehow, I knew that after this Cleveland game the bitching would start up again.

I was a little off, though. Defense is the bitching topic of choice now. I thought everyone would start that old mantra about how the Warriors "shoot too many 3's". :roll:

Whatever. Some people enjoy complaining.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 pm
I thought they shot too many three's. You saw it yourself, the Warriors could not catch a break. But even though they were 1/8, they continued to jack them up. Especially when your teammates are airballing them and missing them off the back iron, I don't see why to still have the tendency of shooting them. That is not how you get yourself back into the game... layups and getting to the line are two things that get the game interesting again. The Warriors needed to stop shooting the three's and start moving the ball more efficiently as a team.

Penetrating and driving to the hole are two things that can open your whole game up.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm
Guys, this is a team that will play a lot of high scoring games. Unfortunately, this is also a team that will give up a lot of points. Remember, Nelson's teams do not play defense nor rebound. Look at how much better the Mavs are since Avery Johnson took over the team in Dallas. This Warrior team is entertaining and fun to watch; however, it is a team that is coached to score points not to stop opponents from scoring points.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:29 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I thought they shot too many three's. You saw it yourself, the Warriors could not catch a break. But even though they were 1/8, they continued to jack them up. Especially when your teammates are airballing them and missing them off the back iron, I don't see why to still have the tendency of shooting them. That is not how you get yourself back into the game... layups and getting to the line are two things that get the game interesting again. The Warriors needed to stop shooting the three's and start moving the ball more efficiently as a team.

Penetrating and driving to the hole are two things that can open your whole game up.

Its not like they were forcing 3's, though... they were driving and kicking, but nothing was going in. Pietrus even had one go HALFWAY down, but the bucket spit it back out. It was heartbreaking. The Warriors couldn't buy a 3. But they weren't taking bad shots.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 pm
#32 wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I thought they shot too many three's. You saw it yourself, the Warriors could not catch a break. But even though they were 1/8, they continued to jack them up. Especially when your teammates are airballing them and missing them off the back iron, I don't see why to still have the tendency of shooting them. That is not how you get yourself back into the game... layups and getting to the line are two things that get the game interesting again. The Warriors needed to stop shooting the three's and start moving the ball more efficiently as a team.

Its not like they were forcing 3's, though... they were driving and kicking, but nothing was going in. Pietrus even had one go HALFWAY down, but the bucket spit it back out. It was heartbreaking. The Warriors couldn't buy a 3. But they weren't taking bad shots.

The Cav's didn't seem to have any problems making them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:03 pm
jsw548 wrote:
#32 wrote:

Maybe the Cav's need an extra fan.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 pm
#32 wrote:
jsw548 wrote:
#32 wrote:

Maybe the Cav's need an extra fan.

You know. I think they got enough :-)

Still. When the 3s aren't falling they should take it to the hoop. I agree that they weren't forcing them but we're not really a high percentage 3pt tteam.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:31 pm
Unless you're a sub-30% shooter from the arc, you shouldn't turn down an open trey. The Warriors were shooting the right shots, but they were way off that night. Most nights, they'll knock down at least a quarter of the ones they missed (sometimes, they'll hit more than half).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:39 am
#32 wrote:Unless you're a sub-30% shooter from the arc, you shouldn't turn down an open trey. The Warriors were shooting the right shots, but they were way off that night. Most nights, they'll knock down at least a quarter of the ones they missed (sometimes, they'll hit more than half).

Yeah, but I agree with Cladden. 2-20 is ridiculous. If those shots ain't falling, change your game... don't keep shooting, even if it's a clear shot.
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:42 am
#32 wrote:Unless you're a sub-30% shooter from the arc, you shouldn't turn down an open trey. The Warriors were shooting the right shots, but they were way off that night. Most nights, they'll knock down at least a quarter of the ones they missed (sometimes, they'll hit more than half).

BD is shooting 28.4% from 3pt range for the season.
Monta is shooting a blistering 25.9% from 3pt range for the season.
Sjax is 31% for the season.

No one should be a "starting" SG or SF (ie playing the most minutes) in the NBA who is shooting less than 35% from 3pt range in my opinion.

At one point last night the W's were down 16 despite having fewer turnovers and shooting virtually the same percentage as the hawks. I looked at the stats and the difference was the hawks had made 11 3pt shots to 0 for the W's and had hit 5 more freethrows on fewer attempts. That is what is killing the W's imho.

Not specific to last night but in general the W's would seem to be better off with monta playing backup pg than being a shooting guard who can only make layups(last second shot the other night notwithstanding).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:35 am
Such an athletic team that can run and slash well has no need to be shooting from the outside so much! Driving hard and getting to the foulline should be easy and the number 1 priority when things are not going well

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:01 am
migya wrote:Such an athletic team that can run and slash well has no need to be shooting from the outside so much! Driving hard and getting to the foulline should be easy and the number 1 priority when things are not going well

Yeah, that would seem to be the obvious answer...

Of course, the team can't shoot free throws well either, so people would be bitching about that if they were going to the line more. It's always something. :roll:
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball