A new power forward?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:34 am
Powell looked comfortable playing a little outside. He is no all-star, but he could team with AB for a sort-of big lineup for "those times".

Morrison is just a flat-out entertaining guy to watch. He cannot stand up to being the offensive focus for big minutes every game, but when he is in there, he is fun.

Disappointment: the reserves played terrible, undisciplined garbage-time ball, shooting like that was the only time they would ever see the court. They need to learn to play like starters, not like the last guys off the bench on a 15-player highschool team.

Nelson should have called a timeout and yelled at them.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:54 am
Disappointment: the reserves played terrible, undisciplined garbage-time ball, shooting like that was the only time they would ever see the court. They need to learn to play like starters, not like the last guys off the bench on a 15-player highschool team.

Nelson should have called a timeout and yelled at them.

i agree with you. THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A 135+ game with 121 and like 6:35 remaining! i was so mad. Even thought we won that wasent a good look on what we have on the bench
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:16 am
I really liked it.

You mean to tell me that the WORST lineup the Warriors can throw at somebody involves Matt Barnes, Kelenna Azuibuke, and Cabbage?

I agree, their play needs to improve... but the talent level of our 3rd string beats that of our starting lineup back in the Dampier days. I'm thrilled.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 pm
#32 wrote:I really liked it.

You mean to tell me that the WORST lineup the Warriors can throw at somebody involves Matt Barnes, Kelenna Azuibuke, and Cabbage?

I agree, their play needs to improve... but the talent level of our 3rd string beats that of our starting lineup back in the Dampier days. I'm thrilled.

I think you misunderstood me; the reserves ARE so good that they will be a major factor in any success the Ws have.

Because they are so important to the team, it is a waste to let them play traditional garbage-time basketball.

There are a lot of new players, players from the D league, players from a completely different coaching philosophy. They must use whatever chances they get to learn to work together.

The Ws offense is open and free-flowing, so they can have fun and get plenty of chances to show their stuff anyway.

"Dampier days". Thanks for the flashback. Now I will have nightmares featuring giant inert people.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:11 pm
carlgo wrote:There are a lot of new players, players from the D league, players from a completely different coaching philosophy. They must use whatever chances they get to learn to work together.

I agree. That's what I meant by "their play needs to improve". Guys like Cabbage and Barnes were clearly going into business for themselves during that quarter, while Kelenna and Foyle played decent team ball. I think Powell played good team ball, too... they just kept feeding him the ball cause they knew he was tired (i think it was a small joke by Nelson :wink: ).

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:13 am
powell is not the answer believe that. there's a reason he hasnt done anything in the nba yet. is he serviceable certainly. is he the answer to backup PF, no.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:46 pm
Come on; this has been the kid's first opportunity to do anything and he's responding well. He's not a scoring option, but he can defend well and rebound. That's good enough for a team like this (where we need both).

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 pm
First and foremost, the Warriors have only ONE power forward. That is Powell. Harrington is no power forward. This guy refuses to mix it up. He is a bad rebounder and he is afraid of contact. He never posers up between defenders. He never go over the top of any players. His inside moves are all of the dipsy do variety. Hey! he's Troy Murphy but a worst rebounder.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Hey! he's Troy Murphy but a worst rebounder.

And a post game.

And a better outside shot.

And FAR better handles and passing skills.

And can slash to the bucket.

And gets himself to the line a lot.

Murphy's a better rebounder and a better foul shooter. They're both equally bad on defense. Aside from that, Harrington is better (sometimes, head and shoulder better) than Murphy in every facet of the game.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 pm
#32 wrote:

And a post game.

Murphy's a better rebounder and a better foul shooter. They're both equally bad on defense. Aside from that, Harrington is better (sometimes, head and shoulder better) than Murphy in every facet of the game.

Agreed. I'd even wager to say that Harrington is a better defender than Murphy (not a good one though).

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:22 pm
Powell provides athleticism, intelligence, and an understanding of Nelson's system. He, Powell, may, indeed, become our first big-man option off the bench.

Harrington can flat out light up the scoreboard. I find it somewhat amusing to read the posts that criticize his defense and rebounding. It is not like he is camping out in the paint, but is moving around the perimeter. His defense is much better than Murphy's. And lastly, Harrington, Jackson, Powell, and Cabbage's additions to the roster has been a major upgrade. Once they get more comfortable with the offensive sets and defensive rotations, we will see a much better Warrior team.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:10 pm
I also like that side jumped from Powell. He can hit that, and when if he gets it going from there, centers or power forwards will come out on him and respect him. Once they're out, the inside penetration opens up and boom! the perimeter game is there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 am
John Patrick wrote:
#32 wrote:

And a post game.

Agreed. I'd even wager to say that Harrington is a better defender than Murphy (not a good one though).

Yeah, I'm with Jaypat and Uptempo. It's an insult to Al when we say that his defense is similar to Murphy. Al's not a good defender... but Murphy's defense does not exist. I just want him to improve a bit his rebounding numbers, I'd be happy with 7-8 per game. Other than that, I'm ecstatic with Al.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:43 am
Don't get me wrong, I think he is head and shoulders over Murphy, and Dunleavy is not even in the argument. I just hought he was a more physical guy. We still need that physical guy. Powell may be it. i really enjoy this team much more than i have any Warrior team in the last 10 years. :)

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think he is head and shoulders over Murphy, and Dunleavy is not even in the argument. I just hought he was a more physical guy. We still need that physical guy. Powell may be it. i really enjoy this team much more than i have any Warrior team in the last 10 years. :)

Other than Terry Cummings, when has a "physical" player thrived playing for Nelson?

Quicker, face-the-basket players are whom do well playing for Nelson.

These types (Nelson-coached) of teams are oftentimes entertaining to watch; however, they are not going to win an NBA championship. Vis-a-vis, compared to what we have been accustomed to here the past 12 years, a Nelson coached team may be our best option. I would have rather seen Cohan step in, axe Mullin, bring in a Vandeweghe or a Donnie Nelson, and have that GM build a roster that can win a championship and hire a coach that gets his team to rebound and play defense. Cuban had to do this in Dallas by pushing out Nelson and moving up Avery Johnson.

Powell will do well with this team, as will Harrington, Jackson, and Cabbage. As much as we all loved Ike, he, Ike, had no chance to excel on a Nelson coached team. Powell/Harrington are much better suited than Ike to do well with this team.

Yes, the Cavs loss yesterday evening was disappointing; however, the team is still learning to play as a unit. We should reserve judgement until sometime soon after the All Star break. Athletically, this team can match up and beat the run and gun teams (Denver, Phoenix) in the West, but still will have trouble with the teams that play inside (Utah, Houston, San Antonio).
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball