Where the **** do we get our values from...?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:38 pm
Image > Image

We have men and women dying every day in Iraq for absolutely no cause, whatsoever...

... and, yet, the entire nation is bawling over the untimely demise of Barbaro...?

Wow. What kind of a country do we really live in...?

I don't want this to turn into another political thread (because those always end when miggy arrives and starts spewing conspiracy theories about the whole world being run by one man and ****)... but what do people honestly think about this? A horses' life matters more than the thousands of human lives we've lost...???
Last edited by 32 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm
I don't want to say much here because I'm not a guy to discuss these type of things but I think enough is enough. We, as a country, have seen far too much blood shed. What are we fighting for anyway? The freedom of another country? Fighting to keep terrorism away? We may be gaining allies by being "generous" to a poor country, but we're really losing in reality.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:05 pm
The War is happening every day, whereas famous race horseys dont die everyday... POOR BARBARO, WHEN DID THE WORLD GO WRONG???
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 pm
Just because the war is an ongoing thing doesn't mean it should be less tramatic to the public than a horse being put down...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 pm
Yeah, Yahoo is no different than any other news source in America.

The importance and awareness that the collective nation puts towards foreign affairs is disheartening to say the least. Newsweek, a magazine I used to be fond of, is very guilty of this type of crap as well. The published a cover story detailing the failing effort in Iraq in every foreign market but the American cover was some celebrity gossip.

It is sad to say that the vast majority of Americans do not give a **** about the rest of the world and what goes on there. We are more concerned about a horse than we are with healthcare, foreign policy, and planning for the future beyond any term of elected office.

Barbaro was probably a really nice horse but I hate his guts because he gave the 4th branch of the government another distraction, another out on issues that really matter. We are a nation of spoiled children who cannot fathom or understand contrition, accountability, and as Barbaro demonstrates the value of human life.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:16 pm
Who the hell is Barbaro?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:24 pm
John Patrick wrote:Who the hell is Barbaro?

A race horse. That pic on the first post of this thread with a horse in it. That's Barbaro. And he seems to be getting more hype than the American's in Iraq.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:14 am
Oh. It's kinda funny and sad at the same time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:59 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

A race horse. That pic on the first post of this thread with a horse in it. That's Barbaro. And he seems to be getting more hype than the American's in Iraq.

I'm not surprised. That sh*t happens everywhere. If it's not a horse, it will be whatever dumb topic that seems to be hot at any given time (actually, most of the time, it gets hyped enough so it becomes the hot topic).

The idea is to talk less and less about things that really matter (and that may hurt people in charge) and give some inane topic to the masses to keep them entertained and dumbed down. And, more often than not, it works.

The world is becoming an idiocracy of sorts.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:35 pm
#32 wrote:Image > Image

We have men and women dying every day in Iraq for absolutely no cause, whatsoever...

... and, yet, the entire nation is bawling over the untimely demise of Barbaro...?

I don't want this to turn into another political thread (because those always end when miggy arrives and starts spewing conspiracy theories about the whole world being run by one man and ****)... but what do people honestly think about this? A horses' life matters more than the thousands of human lives we've lost...???

I bet the War would be a big deal if all the fat, white, soccer moms that drive around in their SUV's with the "Support Our Troops" bumper sticker, had their precious kids fighting over in Iraq.
Only then will you see the outrage over this profiteering war for the corporate elite...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:07 pm
#32 wrote:We have men and women dying every day in Iraq for absolutely no cause, whatsoever...

The whole world is pretty much that way and only getting worse!!!!

#32 wrote:I don't want this to turn into another political thread (because those always end when miggy arrives and starts spewing conspiracy theories about the whole world being run by one man and ****)... but what do people honestly think about this? A horses' life matters more than the thousands of human lives we've lost...???

Don't be foolish in the thiongs I state, they are based on evidence and facts, not theories!

The only reason why things are the way they are is because the average shmos haven't got together and stopped it! As individuals you are nowhere near as powerful as a bunch of people together!

I'm quitting my present job soon (As another, seemingly much better opportunity has arrived) because the guy that bought us out is a me first and only cokhe and my conditions are so much worse and my pay only $100 a week better! I stand my ground and tell him to get stuffed on a daily basis and try to talk some sense into him by trying to get things improved for myself and some others at my work but the coward shrugs it off, runs away and gets one of the two collegues who was with me before the company was bought out to try to get me to do much more but they both can stick it! You've gotta stand up for yourself, be honest and fair and not let these very rich, illusioned, greedy pricks do what they want

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:56 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:

I'm not surprised. That sh*t happens everywhere. If it's not a horse, it will be whatever dumb topic that seems to be hot at any given time (actually, most of the time, it gets hyped enough so it becomes the hot topic).

The idea is to talk less and less about things that really matter (and that may hurt people in charge) and give some inane topic to the masses to keep them entertained and dumbed down. And, more often than not, it works.

The world is becoming an idiocracy of sorts.

it's all bread and circuses, baby. Many have said the same thing about American sports being a grand distraction. I have never gotten the whole militaristic connection between going to a game and playing the national anthem - esp. in pro football there is a huge amount of war imagery, war on the sports field. I agree with TMC, whether it is Michael Jackson, the little girl down the well, American idol or the super bowl, it's all in the aid of distraction and the great God of consumerism. This is well-described by John Lennon's immortal lines "keep you doped on religion and sex and tv, and you think you're so clever and classless and free, but you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see". From what I can see, this board keeps it in perspective as a fun and harmless release, but there are definitely folks who lose balance with this stuff.

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZ89B1WUzVM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:03 pm
coltraning wrote:it's all bread and circuses, baby.

It is. It's funny, in a way. The more we evolve... the more things stay the same.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:47 am
Didnt know u guys were over here.

We get our values from TV, music, and the media.

We are sold a product the American Dream, and everything fits nicely into protecting that Dream.

I admit the whole barbaro thing was really weird, surprised ESPN covered it as much as it did.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:56 am
Money wrote:Didnt know u guys were over here.

We get our values from TV, music, and the media.

We are sold a product the American Dream, and everything fits nicely into protecting that Dream.

I admit the whole barbaro thing was really weird, surprised ESPN covered it as much as it did.

Damn, money. You really had a lot of free time to check old threads, didn't you? :wink:

Return to Off-Topic Forum