Chris Taft... Back as a Warrior?!?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Is Josh Powell a keeper?

Yes, Nelson will find a role for him.
73%
Yes, but he'll suffer in Nelson's system.
9%
No, Nelson will kill the kid's potential.
No votes
No, Josh Powell has no talent.
18%

Total votes : 11

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:55 am
The kid can play both inside as well as outside. He goes to the rim with authority, can make his free throws, and provides an athletic inside presence on defense. Lastly, he was an honor student at NC State, too!
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:28 pm
Now the question: Who would you rather have, McLeod or Josh Powell? :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:44 pm
John Patrick wrote:Now the question: Who would you rather have, McLeod or Josh Powell? :wink:

Definitely Josh Powell. I liked McLeod better than most people though. He was a decent defender, shot his FT's well and didn't turn it over that often.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:38 pm
cladden wrote:I liked McLeod better than most people though. He was a decent defender, shot his FT's well and didn't turn it over that often.

It's funny. He is in the NBA for the things he doesn't suck at, not for the things he does well...

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:05 pm
Looking at last game, Josh Powell also has a nice outside shot, and it looked smoother than Murphys
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:47 pm
cabarkapa wrote:Looking at last game, Josh Powell also has a nice outside shot, and it looked smoother than Murphys

I dunno if it was smoother than Murphy's (or even Ike's, for that matter), but at least it's there.

Powell is a nasty defender with rebounding prowess. That's all we really needed from him. The fact that he's running the floor well, catching underneath, getting to (and hitting from) the line, and being unselfish is a total bonus. I really like this kid. Not sure if he's got Ike's same potential, but he can definately turn into a solid backup 4/5.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:06 pm
#32 wrote:
cabarkapa wrote:Looking at last game, Josh Powell also has a nice outside shot, and it looked smoother than Murphys

I dunno if it was smoother than Murphy's (or even Ike's, for that matter), but at least it's there.

Powell is a nasty defender with rebounding prowess. That's all we really needed from him. The fact that he's running the floor well, catching underneath, getting to (and hitting from) the line, and being unselfish is a total bonus. I really like this kid. Not sure if he's got Ike's same potential, but he can definately turn into a solid backup 4/5.

Ike looks better on the block, but slow to react to the double team.
Powell looks quicker in the paint and to the rim.
Ike looks stronger.
Powell looks longer.

I prefer Ike on a Nelson coached team to Ike; however, I do believe that Ike will develop into a good/great power forward.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:35 pm
As I mentioned in the game thread, I thought Powell looked very good last night and in fact has done surprisingly great job thus far for the Warriors since the trade.

I assumed Powell was a throw in to make the salaries work or something, but perhaps Mullen and Nellie had him scouted out and thought he would be a good fit with this uptempo Warriors team.

He has good size and quickness as well as a nice touch from the outside and he has strength to score on the block and rebound. I am not saying he is the next great big man, but he is definitely a serviceable forward that can fit into the system the Warriors are playing.

I like Powell in this system better than Ike in this system.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:
I assumed Powell was a throw in to make the salaries work or something, but perhaps Mullen and Nellie had him scouted out and thought he would be a good fit with this uptempo Warriors team.

It was said somewhere that Nelson specifically wanted Powell. He had evidently coveted him for some time.

Powell seems more comfortable in two games with this team than Ike was in two years.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:49 am
Josh does have the nice offensive game, but he does many things well that aren't shown on the stat list. I like Powell. To say he was a "throw-in" for this past trade is old news. He's no longer a throw-in. He's a solid contributer off the bench. I hope this kid stays a Warriors after this season unless he plays horrible during the offseason against T.C. invitees or is a throw-in for another blockbuster trade.

Which reminds me, we should start another elimination game thread. Now that Dun, Murph, McLeod, and 2nd place Ike are gone, I'd like to see what's new. I'd start it myself, but pest is the king of thread starters.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 am
carlgo wrote:
ChicagoTom wrote:

It was said somewhere that Nelson specifically wanted Powell. He had evidently coveted him for some time.

Powell seems more comfortable in two games with this team than Ike was in two years.

If I'm not wrong, Powell played several summer leagues with Dallas (being one of the top players). Nellie probably wanted him due to that.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball