Seeing through the smokescreen

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:02 am
dareedle wrote:Since our blockbuster trade with Indiana, Indiana is 2-1 and we are an awesome 0-3 and working hard to another loss.
Let's look at Indiana who took on two bad contracts and underperforming players in T-Murph and Dunleavy. O'Neil become the man in the post, Granger is now given more shots because of the absense of Harrington and Jackson, and Murphy gives the Pacers perimeter shooting and rebounding. Best of all, they are winning with a 38 year old point guard.


Do you realize that Indiana plays in the east?. We would be 10 games over .500 if we were playing in the (L)eastern conference.

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:18 am
On Point pEsT :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Starting Lineup
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 am
dareedle wrote:Since our blockbuster trade with Indiana, Indiana is 2-1 and we are an awesome 0-3 and working hard to another loss.


Its obvious your not a real Warrior fan, you dont even wait till the end of the game to post that we are "0-3", if u didnt notice we won tonight and are 1-2 with the new guys.

Your probably an undercover Indiana fan who for some lame reason gets off arguing with Warrior fans. Your wierd man.

I aint casting my pearl before the swine, i suggest other "true" warrior fans do the same.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:34 pm
The good news about the trade is that we traded the worst forward tandem in the league and we have salary flexibility to sign Ellis and Biedrins for reasonable contracts. I don't have to get excited about Harrington or Jackson or Sarunas, but Mullin might make a trading deadline move yet. My million dollar question, without Dunleavy in the picture, who will we blame this year that we don't make the playoffs. Finally, this is Nellie's team and system, and we can't make an evaluation on Nellie in three games or this first season but do have an uphill battle and a key injury to Houston, Denver, LA Clips or even Utah would help us big time.

Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:28 pm
dareedle wrote:My million dollar question, without Dunleavy in the picture, who will we blame this year that we don't make the playoffs.


sadly and scary enough it will be baron. which is bad. for everything baron has done for us, if he can't win for us, in my point of view he doesn't belong in the "all-star game". if warriors don't make playoffs this year and start off badly the first 30 next year, mark my words baron's head will be called for and Monta will be looked upon as our savior.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:26 pm
Squalldip wrote:
dareedle wrote:My million dollar question, without Dunleavy in the picture, who will we blame this year that we don't make the playoffs.


sadly and scary enough it will be baron. which is bad. for everything baron has done for us, if he can't win for us, in my point of view he doesn't belong in the "all-star game". if warriors don't make playoffs this year and start off badly the first 30 next year, mark my words baron's head will be called for and Monta will be looked upon as our savior.


We can't "blame" Baron. He's the whole reason we're even thinking about the playoffs in the first place. Blame... injuries. We've had bad luck this year.

Role Player
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:58 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:11 pm
I'd blame injuries too if we dont make it, it's a lot easier than bashing the players, unless the player is dunleavy. But no worries when Cabarkapa comes back from his injury near March i believe, we will probably close the season with all Wins
Image

All Star
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 pm
The trade made both teams stronger.

The Warriors will need to improve its team defense, a difficult task for a Nelson coached team. As the new players spend more time with the team, the half court offense should improve as the players learn the half court set plays.

When Richardson returns, we should see a nice rotation of Davis, Richardson, Biedrens, Pietrus, and Harrington as the starters, with Monta, Jackson, Barnes, Cabbage, and Powell coming off the bench.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:25 pm
Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:19 am
#32 wrote:Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.

except that we don't hold our opponents to a low fg%. We're #20 in the league in fg% allowed and #24 in the league in adj fg% allowed. And steals and blocks are partially amplified because of more possessions.
ImageImage

Role Player
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:58 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 am
Lately i am quite pleased in the turnovers they are forcing lately.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:54 am
Yeah nothing but free throw shooting concerns me with this squad and their style of game.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:39 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.

except that we don't hold our opponents to a low fg%. We're #20 in the league in fg% allowed and #24 in the league in adj fg% allowed. And steals and blocks are partially amplified because of more possessions.


Exactly... our defense is bad no matter how you look at it. It's mainly based on forcing turnovers. We have a more than decent offense... and there's a reason we're still below .500
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:34 am
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:Nelson-coached teams hold their opponents to poor FG%'s, but allow a lot of points due to a higher-paced game. There's nothing wrong with a Nelson-team, defensively. Lotta steals, lotta blocks, low opponent FG%. It's not traditional, but it works.

except that we don't hold our opponents to a low fg%. We're #20 in the league in fg% allowed and #24 in the league in adj fg% allowed. And steals and blocks are partially amplified because of more possessions.


Exactly... our defense is bad no matter how you look at it. It's mainly based on forcing turnovers. We have a more than decent offense... and there's a reason we're still below .500

Right... the reason is because we can't win away from home. If the Warriors played half as well on the road as they did in the Oracle, they'd be 10 games over .500...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Role Player
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:58 am
#32 wrote:Right... the reason is because we can't win away from home. If the Warriors played half as well on the road as they did in the Oracle, they'd be 10 games over .500...

I do not think it is that simple. The Warriors have lost a number of home games they should have won. Cleveland, Milwaukee and Indiana come to mind.

The Warriors lost these games because they could get not key stops in the fourth quarter and they pissed away leads because not only did their defense fail them, but their offense did as well.

Yes, the Warriors could be a .500 with a better road record, but if the goal is simply to be .500 then that is fine. But, in my opinion, in order for this team to succeed and take it to another level, they will have to play better defensively.

I am not saying they are going to hold teams to under 85 points a game, but make teams work for their points. Contest shots, limit second chance opportunities and play good, solid, helpside, team defense. If the Warriors can push themselves on the defensive side of things they way they do offensively, this team could cause a lot of problems for teams the rest of this season and even into the playoffs. This will be a team few teams will want to face IF the Warriors can get in.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests