Monta curing his turnover problem

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:53 pm
Since coming back from the injury, monta is down to 2.5 tpg, if we don't count the crazy 9 turnover outing in the game where every warrior had turnover problems. 2.5 tpg is pretty average for a guy playing the 37 minutes per game monta's been playing in January. If he could keep this up, it'll be great

A side note, Monta's Turnovers per 40 minutes for the season when he plays PG is 5.5! He clearly isn't ready for playing point guard in game situations yet. He gets raped every time he plays point guard, both offensively and defensively.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:50 pm
I don't know what it is either... these are self inflicted turnovers... Meaning, once in a awhile he would just dribble one off his feet or lapse in concentration and one would just sail out of bounce. Or even every now and then he passes to the referees....

Its silly turnovers... almost as bad as Dunleavey's traveling violation!!! When he shuffles his feet after the pump fake.... Man those days were nightmares!!

Starting Lineup
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:31 pm
~W~ wrote:
Its silly turnovers... almost as bad as Dunleavey's traveling violation!!! When he shuffles his feet after the pump fake.... Man those days were nightmares!!


For the love of all thats good please never again compare Monta to Dunleavy. Thats crazy.

Yea Monta's TO's are a problem no doubt, but i think he'll get over those soon enough. He has ALL the skills to be a great player. His basketball IQ is high for his age, he learns from his mistakes and he just needs to get a little stronger to keep some of the bigger defenders from punking him.

Arenas used to have a ton of TO's too.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:41 pm
Arenas used to have a ton of TO's too.

Monta's game is the young arenas' game, verbatim. That's why I have no doubt he'll be a superstar.

And Arenas still has a ton of TOs. So do AI and Wade and Nash. They all get significantly more TOs than Ellis. that's why I don't buy it being as much of a problem as people saying it is.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:50 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
Arenas used to have a ton of TO's too.

Monta's game is the young arenas' game, verbatim. That's why I have no doubt he'll be a superstar.

And Arenas still has a ton of TOs. So do AI and Wade and Nash. They all get significantly more TOs than Ellis. that's why I don't buy it being as much of a problem as people saying it is.




Uhhh. Your the one who started the thread saying it was a problem, so let me get this straight...Pest doesnt buy it being as much of a problem as Pest is saying it is. O, I get it now. :wink:

Im with you though that he'll be a superstar. Maybe even better than AI, yea i said it.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm
I thought the thread was Monta is curing his turnover problem It seems like he is. I actually think he can become a good PG, though probably more in the Wade/Arenas mode than the Nash/Kidd mode (and J Kidd's turnovers were out of control last night. Might be understandable, with what he's going through.) Monta is probably the player with the most potential to be a superstar the Ws have had since Arenas...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:58 pm
tradedunleavy wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
Arenas used to have a ton of TO's too.

Monta's game is the young arenas' game, verbatim. That's why I have no doubt he'll be a superstar.

And Arenas still has a ton of TOs. So do AI and Wade and Nash. They all get significantly more TOs than Ellis. that's why I don't buy it being as much of a problem as people saying it is.




Uhhh. Your the one who started the thread saying it was a problem, so let me get this straight...Pest doesnt buy it being as much of a problem as Pest is saying it is. O, I get it now. :wink:

I said "Monta curing his turnover problem" as the thread title and said that his turnover problem was going away. The thread was hijacked by people defending a problem I never attacked..... I think it is certainly a problem, but I don't think that it's as much problem as people say it is. A lot of people think his turnover problem should limit his PT.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm
Monta is an absolute turnover machine.

Not only does he make sloppy passes at times, but defenders can easily read his eyes and he rushes plays. His skills don't need any work, but his decisions need a major upgrade. We can all agree; Monta's a crisp passer when he makes the right choice. Problem is, that happens few and far between.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Starting Lineup
Posts: 967
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:10 pm
#32 wrote:Monta is an absolute turnover machine.

Not only does he make sloppy passes at times, but defenders can easily read his eyes and he rushes plays. His skills don't need any work, but his decisions need a major upgrade. We can all agree; Monta's a crisp passer when he makes the right choice. Problem is, that happens few and far between.


Agree. But only way you learn is by playing and I think the more we play him the faster he will mature. And we need to see him reach his potential rather quickly if we gonna resign him to a big, maybe max, contract.

We waited too long with Arenas and we see where that got us. We waited to long to play him and when we finally found out he was worth keepin at a high price, we couldnt move the contracts in time. By the way Arenas is starting Guard in the ALL-Star game

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm
~W~ wrote:I don't know what it is either... these are self inflicted turnovers... Meaning, once in a awhile he would just dribble one off his feet or lapse in concentration and one would just sail out of bounce. Or even every now and then he passes to the referees....

Its silly turnovers... almost as bad as Dunleavey's traveling violation!!! When he shuffles his feet after the pump fake.... Man those days were nightmares!!


This is all true, exactly. For some reason his turnovers are really ugly, even beyond Dunlovian in nature. His turnovers are far fewer when he doesn't have to play the point. Keep him at the two. He is great there.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:24 pm
He could have had just as many turnovers last night as Kidd did. He almost lost it at times, but he hustled and showed he wanted the ball more. Those weird sequences almost led to a potent two points turned to Nets two points.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 pm
tradedunleavy wrote:
#32 wrote:Monta is an absolute turnover machine.

Not only does he make sloppy passes at times, but defenders can easily read his eyes and he rushes plays. His skills don't need any work, but his decisions need a major upgrade. We can all agree; Monta's a crisp passer when he makes the right choice. Problem is, that happens few and far between.


Agree. But only way you learn is by playing and I think the more we play him the faster he will mature. And we need to see him reach his potential rather quickly if we gonna resign him to a big, maybe max, contract.

yeah, though I wouldn't be playing him at point guard with his insane 5.5 TO/40 at pg.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:55 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
tradedunleavy wrote:
#32 wrote:Monta is an absolute turnover machine.

Not only does he make sloppy passes at times, but defenders can easily read his eyes and he rushes plays. His skills don't need any work, but his decisions need a major upgrade. We can all agree; Monta's a crisp passer when he makes the right choice. Problem is, that happens few and far between.


Agree. But only way you learn is by playing and I think the more we play him the faster he will mature. And we need to see him reach his potential rather quickly if we gonna resign him to a big, maybe max, contract.

yeah, though I wouldn't be playing him at point guard with his insane 5.5 TO/40 at pg.


Yeah, I love the kid... but he cannot play PG. No way. I've got no problem with his TOs as long as he doesn't play PG.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13507
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 am
I know Nelly wants him to be a future PG... but he's got some major work before that happens. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think he'll ever be able to average more than 4 or 5 dimes without 3 or 4 turnovers, too (which is a shame).
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:32 pm
#32 wrote:I know Nelly wants him to be a future PG... but he's got some major work before that happens. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think he'll ever be able to average more than 4 or 5 dimes without 3 or 4 turnovers, too (which is a shame).


I think his best role is as a kind of second PG, but I hate it when he brings the ball up the court.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ringo and 1 guest

cron