Finally David Stern thinking of doing something good.....

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:29 pm
Flopping is already illegal in international play. Now, it might become illegal in the NBA, as well.

The NBA is studying how often flopping occurs and whether officials can tell the difference between flops and actual fouls, Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president for basketball operations, told Bloomberg News in a story published Thursday.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson said. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it."

Jackson said the NBA is considering whether to allow its officials to impose technical fouls for flopping, which FIBA, the governing body of international basketball, allows its referees to do. Other sports, such as hockey and soccer, also allow referees to penalize players who flop.

"We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment," he said.

Jackson didn't give a timetable for the league to make a decision.
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:25 pm
That will be a hard one to prove.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm
They can't take Dunleavy's only defensive move away!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:43 pm
What they should do is take away pass and crash fouls!!! Those are annoying especially when it has nothing to do with the plays. I love Steve Nash but c'mon he dilberately slides under players on fast breaks when they pass to get a offensive foul. That isn't playing defense, that should be ILLEGAL.

This happens a lot during 2 on 1 breaks also, which is silly, and rewards the defensive of player for being lazy!!!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:45 pm
I agree with that especially since ME gets called for it so much.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:48 pm
zshook wrote:I agree with that especially since ME gets called for it so much.

If there is a stat... Which I'm sure there are... MP gets that like once a game...if not more... Sometime he is out of control but most of the time, the defender just slides undeneath him when he is PASSING the ball....

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:03 pm
I like the idea because the fact that the official has the option to call a technical foul on a flop at all will cut down the amount of times defenders try to draw an offensive foul, and actually play defense. it's sickening that standing flat footed, still, is being rewarded, and called defense.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 pm
I love the idea. Flopping is disgusting.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:50 pm
I like it a lot, but only done in tandem with stopping players flinging themselves into the defender to get a foul (see Kobe, Wade, etc..)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:55 pm
jsw548 wrote:They can't take Dunleavy's only defensive move away!

Dunleavy jokes never get old. I think dunleavys reached Michael Jackson status in this forum.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:57 pm
tradedunleavy wrote:

Dunleavy jokes never get old. I think dunleavys reached Michael Jackson status in this forum.

:mrgreen:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:08 pm
Good idea, they should also address the foul call when the offensive player initiates contact by jumping into the defender, Bedrins has been burned a lot with that :x
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:31 pm
I agree, this whole flopping needs to stop. If you're going to do, try out for acting on Broadway or Hollywood. The NBA has no place for you if you try.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:01 am
tradedunleavy wrote:

They're killing him. If they fix the flopping, not even his daddy will want to trade for him.

btw, now that it seems like they're going to do something about the (sometimes) terrible refs... will they also fix the star calls?. That's way more detrimental to the game than flopping. If the defender coughs near Kobe, it's a foul...

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:40 am
TMC wrote:
tradedunleavy wrote:

They're killing him. If they fix the flopping, not even his daddy will want to trade for him.

btw, now that it seems like they're going to do something about the (sometimes) terrible refs... will they also fix the star calls?. That's way more detrimental to the game than flopping. If the defender coughs near Kobe, it's a foul...

I agree. I mean, Lebron or Kobe are very good players and they don't need those rubbish calls NBA is allowing in order to make them better superstars. Many fans see this and when you see 1000 times Lebron getting those calls, you start to think this is a masked rule and it's not good for NBA in a longer term.
Last edited by Pitons on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball