Matt Barnes the Energizing 6th man we need?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:35 pm
Dunleavy's role as the 6th man was productive, but his demeanor was so low-key he didn't spark any energy in the team. Matty Barnes seems to have the charisma and energy to be a great 6th man.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Can't go wrong with that. The thing is... Monta is currently our 6th man. And I quote from Nellie, "Monta will be the first guard off the bench for the Warriors." End quote. He does get more playing time than Barnes and he does come in before Barnes. And even if Biedrins gets in foul trouble early, Nellie would most likely turn to his small ball lineup with everyone sliding up a spot and putting Monta at the point.

PG-Baron
SG-Jackson
SF-Pietrus
PF-Harrington
C-Biedrins
6th-Monta
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 pm
he's not going to be sixth man, our team's too deep, but he's good. this is no revelation
ImageImage
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:04 am
Gotta love Barnes' hussle, especially when rebounding.

Thats something Dunleavy never gave us.
NICE WORK MULLY!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 am
How about most improved player? Now that award is much more fitting for Barnes.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:46 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:PG-Baron
SG-Jackson
SF-Pietrus
PF-Harrington
C-Biedrins
6th-Monta

Yep, this sounds about right. Barnes is the 7th man right now... and 8th once J-Rich comes back.

xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:How about most improved player? Now that award is much more fitting for Barnes.

Deron Williams should be the MIP of the year. It's not even close at this point (unless I'm forgetting someone)

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:21 am
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:How about most improved player? Now that award is much more fitting for Barnes.

Deron Williams should be the MIP of the year. It's not even close at this point (unless I'm forgetting someone)

By a landslide. Other honorable mentions, Ed Curry (feels funny typing that), Boozer, Mike Miller (maybe not so much lately). Still have half a season.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:50 pm
I would vote for Emeka Okafor. He is much improved from last year. And lets not forget Jamal Crawford of the Knicks. he had to play behind Marbury and Francis all last year.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:57 pm
A couple of candidates for Most Improved in my eyes are:

Andris Biedrins
Monta Ellis
Deron Williams
Kevin Martin
Luol Deng
Caron Butler (although he has been quite good for a few seasons he is finally starting now to get the recognition)
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Kevin Martin, AB, Monta, and Boozer are all equally good candidates to Deron. It's far from a landslide
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:34 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Kevin Martin, AB, Monta, and Boozer are all equally good candidates to Deron. It's far from a landslide

I'd give it to Deron. Its between him and Kevin Martin... and I think the only reason Martin gets a ton of points is due to the new rules (you can't touch anybody in the air anymore, so he just jumps at people and gets to the line). Plus, he's a SG who only tosses out 2 assists in 35 minutes?

Deron Williams gets my vote, for now. 17 and 9 is damn good, for any PG.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:42 pm
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

I'd give it to Deron. Its between him and Kevin Martin... and I think the only reason Martin gets a ton of points is due to the new rules (you can't touch anybody in the air anymore, so he just jumps at people and gets to the line). Plus, he's a SG who only tosses out 2 assists in 35 minutes?

Yeah, and Martin's numbers are declining. I don't think anyone is near Deron at this point for that award. All those guys have improved... but not as much as Deron. He is the one that has allowed Utah to make the leap from being a lottery team to a good playoff one (btw, Boozer's main improvement has been staying healthy... I don't that qualifies much for the award).
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:52 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Yeah, and Martin's numbers are declining. I don't think anyone is near Deron at this point for that award. All those guys have improved... but not as much as Deron. He is the one that has allowed Utah to make the leap from being a lottery team to a good playoff one (btw, Boozer's main improvement has been staying healthy... I don't that qualifies much for the award).

I would say that boozer's success has actually helped Deron's assist numbers. No more of boozers baskets are coming off assists than last year, but Boozer taking more shots means more assists available for Deron. Deron's scoring hasn't improved much, he's just getting more minutes, and Boozer is a big reason for Williams' assist increase. Of course the same could be said for Kevin Martin; minutes cause numbers to go up.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:13 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

So now you agree its Deron?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 pm
That was a monster game for Deron last night against the Grizz. He had like what?... 18, 20 assists? What an improvement from last year especially since he seemed to be a shoot first point guard. I think the departure of McLeod helped him out since Keith played more and started over him. He has seemed to benefit from the Fisher trade.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball