Seeing through the smokescreen

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:12 pm
I thought it was comical that Jim kept saying what great defense we were playing against the Lakers in the first half on Monday. We had plenty of steals and turnovers, which makes this somehow worse. Somehow, even with all that "great defense" we gave up 61 points to the Lakers in the first half. This figures out to a 122 point game. That is a joke. People say that the other teams high scoring is irrelevant due to our up and down style of play. I don't care how much you score, if you give up 61 points in the first half that is horrific defense.

Even with our style of play, a great defensive half should be holding the other team under 50 points. A great defensive half to the Spurs or teams like them is holding your opposition under 40 points at the half.

I wish our announcers would not try to blow smoke up our collective asses. We are watching the games you know and can plainly see that we are getting scored on at a ridiculous pace. The Suns and especially the Mavs have seen the light of playing sound defense, why can't we?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:23 pm
Dude, that game was disappointing, but it wasn't a horrible loss.

First off, they held the Lakers to a worse FG%. Secondly, they scored 22 more points in the paint than LA. Let me say that again: 22 MORE POINTS IN THE PAINTS than the Lakers.

You wanna know why the Lakers won? Because the Warriors took 20 free throws, in all... and Kobe took 19 by himself. LA took 21 more free throws than the Warriors. That's ten free throw sets and an And1 more than what we got. That's BS.

Thats why the Lakers won. Not because of defense.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm
jsw548 wrote:I thought it was comical that Jim kept saying what great defense we were playing against the Lakers in the first half on Monday. We had plenty of steals and turnovers, which makes this somehow worse. Somehow, even with all that "great defense" we gave up 61 points to the Lakers in the first half. This figures out to a 122 point game. That is a joke. People say that the other teams high scoring is irrelevant due to our up and down style of play. I don't care how much you score, if you give up 61 points in the first half that is horrific defense.

Even with our style of play, a great defensive half should be holding the other team under 50 points. A great defensive half to the Spurs or teams like them is holding your opposition under 40 points at the half.

I wish our announcers would not try to blow smoke up our collective asses. We are watching the games you know and can plainly see that we are getting scored on at a ridiculous pace. The Suns and especially the Mavs have seen the light of playing sound defense, why can't we?

We're a bad defensive team

Now stop complaining. I get sick of you starting a panic thread every time we lose two games in a row.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:52 pm
jsw548 wrote:
I wish our announcers would not try to blow smoke up our collective asses. We are watching the games you know and can plainly see that we are getting scored on at a ridiculous pace.

I agree that the announcers have been known to blow some serious SERIOUS smoke, the WHOLE Dunleavy era minus the last few games. But I don't think they were last game. The reason we lost wasnt because of defense per say, its like 32 said they shot way more free-throws.

We actually improved defensively with this trade SJax>Dung and Harrington>Murphy. Guys need time to learn the system and each other. Im not sure if you played any type of organized ball, but when you get new players it takes time to get on the same page. Or even in pickup games the longer a team wins and stays on the court the better they get.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
jsw548 wrote:I thought it was comical that Jim kept saying what great defense we were playing against the Lakers in the first half on Monday. We had plenty of steals and turnovers, which makes this somehow worse. Somehow, even with all that "great defense" we gave up 61 points to the Lakers in the first half. This figures out to a 122 point game. That is a joke. People say that the other teams high scoring is irrelevant due to our up and down style of play. I don't care how much you score, if you give up 61 points in the first half that is horrific defense.

Now stop complaining. I get sick of you starting a panic thread every time we lose two games in a row.

We've lost 6 of the last 7 Pusstulunce. I'm frustrated because we should be getting better instead of going in the other direction which our record is indicating. We now have the coach, the players and a new playing style and yet we are still losing more than we are winning. Every team has injury issues so that excuse is played out.

I'm complaining about "ONE" thing that I know we can do better and it's the number one thing we should be concentrating on and we are not. If our management, coach and team wanted to play better defense than we would. We will never make the playoffs until we decide that this is one change that has to be made to win. If you think we are going anywhere without becoming at least a decent defensive team, you don't know anything about basketball. I don't care what the excuse, giving up 61 points in one half is lousy defense, that's the point I was trying to make.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:16 pm
jsw548 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

I'm complaining about "ONE" thing that I know we can do better and it's the number one thing we should be concentrating on and we are not. If our management, coach and team wanted to play better defense than we would. We will never make the playoffs until we decide that this is one change that has to be made to win. If you think we are going anywhere without becoming at least a decent defensive team, you don't know anything about basketball. I don't care what the excuse, giving up 61 points in one half is lousy defense, that's the point I was trying to make.

We just don't have defensive players and play a fast paced game. We could devote 5 hours a day to defense in practice and still allow 100 points per game. It's laughable to say that "If our management, coach and team wanted to play better defense than we would". I never said we'd go anywhere without being at least a decent defensive team, I was just remarking that you press the panic button every time we go on a skid
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 pm
The good news is that we are still in striking distance for the 8th and final spot in the Western Conference. The bad news is that this is still a bad team and even loyal Warrior fans are totally disgusted with the makeup of the current roster. This coaching scheme and up and down offense with the wrong players would of been acceptable 3-4 years ago, but our NBA playoff drought, lottery busts and fourth quarter chokes has reached a point of extreme skeptism from the most loyal Warrior fan. Our drafts have been mediocre at best, our player contract selection lousy and worst of all has been our player development. Steve Nash was a complimentary point guard before he lit up Phoenix, the German was an offensive softie in love with his jumper and under the radar forwards like Luc Walton and Josh Howard have taken the league by storm while we suffer through the fourth quarter chokes of Biedrins, Ellis, Pietrus, J-Rich and company. Oakland is the place were CBAers launch their careers and decent players sink like the Titanic in our never ending coaching carousel.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 pm
the 2 losses were completely comprehensible. Against the Cavs we had no BD and got royally hosed by the refs. I was there and have never seen a worse officiated game. Against the lakers, we were playing a team that has the 2nd best home record in the league and is 13-1 against the West, and we were in it until BD's leg cramp -take a breath. If the Ws are not 8-4 or 9-3 in their next 12 games (to the break) we will know what they are made of. These last 3 losses ( 7 players against the clips in LA), hosed by the refs and no BD against the Cavs, and losing by 5 against the lakers in la were totally reasonable. They lose against the Nets tonight, let's talk. BTW, you STILL owe $100 dollars, dude 8)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm
The good news is that we are still in striking distance for the 8th and final spot in the Western Conference. The bad news is that this is still a bad team and even loyal Warrior fans are totally disgusted with the makeup of the current roster. This coaching scheme and up and down offense with the wrong players would of been acceptable 3-4 years ago, but our NBA playoff drought, lottery busts and fourth quarter chokes has reached a point of extreme skeptism from the most loyal Warrior fan. Our drafts have been mediocre at best, our player contract selection lousy and worst of all has been our player development. Steve Nash was a complimentary point guard before he lit up Phoenix, the German was an offensive softie in love with his jumper and under the radar forwards like Luc Walton and Josh Howard have taken the league by storm while we suffer through the fourth quarter chokes of Biedrins, Ellis, Pietrus, J-Rich and company. Oakland is the place were CBAers launch their careers and decent players sink like the Titanic in our never ending coaching carousel.

Hey look, dareedle's here to join in the panic fest.

even loyal Warrior fans are totally disgusted with the makeup of the current roster

loyal warrior fans suffered through Donyell Marshall and John Starks as first options, loyal warrior fans are thrilled to see an exciting team that has the best chance to make the playoffs of any warrior team of the last 13 years.

lottery busts...Our drafts have been mediocre at best, our player contract selection lousy

I gotta stop you on this one, dunleavy and o'bryant are our only questionable picks in the last few years. Monta and Ike was a phenomenal draft, AB was a great pick, Jrich, Murph, and Gil was maybe the best draft we've ever had. Out problem is not drafting

and worst of all has been our player development

Like Jrich who improved every season for his first five seasons? Or Baron who we revitalized? Or Monta who we turned into a star and is still improving? Or AB who we turned into a top ten center from a foyle apparent? Or Azubuike who we took from the Dleague and made a player out of? Or Barnes whose career we revitalized? I could go on and on, player development hasn't been our problem either.

I actually think that people who are panicking right now are obviously not true warrior fans or they would know that we're the closest to the playoffs that we've been since the drought began and that this is the most stacked team the warriors have had in almost fifteen years.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:46 pm
I gotta agree, Pest... I just don't see how anybody can be panicked right now.

I mean, does anybody even REMEMBER when our most talented, tradeable piece was Jason Caffey?!?!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:15 pm
I don't know if you noticed but the Warriors DID play good defense against the Lakers.

But I don't know if you noticed that Kobe can knock down 30 footers while catching and shooting under 1 second, o yeah and Kobe can knock down a fade-away ANYWHERE on the court, there was a player in his face in almost every shot he took but the man can plain out shoot :D
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:34 pm
Squalldip wrote:I don't know if you noticed but the Warriors DID play good defense against the Lakers.

But I don't know if you noticed that Kobe can knock down 30 footers while catching and shooting under 1 second, o yeah and Kobe can knock down a fade-away ANYWHERE on the court, there was a player in his face in almost every shot he took but the man can plain out shoot :D

Yeah. Credit to Kobe for the win, not our "deficiencies."

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 pm
John Patrick wrote:
Squalldip wrote:I don't know if you noticed but the Warriors DID play good defense against the Lakers.

Yeah. Credit to Kobe for the win, not our "deficiencies."

Good comment.

The Lakers starting with Dr. Buss, going down thru Mitch Kupchak, to Phil Jackson and the roster talent are all much better than Chris Cohan, Chris Mullin, Don Nelson, and the Warrior roster. The Lakers are just a better team than the Warriors, much better front office and coaching and a better roster.

The Warriors will have to buckle down to become a better defensive team. The good news is that Pietrus, Jackson, and Harrington are good defenders.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm
Since our blockbuster trade with Indiana, Indiana is 2-1 and we are an awesome 0-3 and working hard to another loss. Fortunately, we may be able to trade our very valuable lottery pick for a decent veteran. J-Rich is a big enigma, having his worst season despite improving consistently the past years despite our coaching woes. From a roster perspective, we have enough talent to make the playoffs. From an experience and mental maturity factor we are next to the Knicks and Grizzlies. Let's look at Indiana who took on two bad contracts and underperforming players in T-Murph and Dunleavy. O'Neil become the man in the post, Granger is now given more shots because of the absense of Harrington and Jackson, and Murphy gives the Pacers perimeter shooting and rebounding. Best of all, they are winning with a 38 year old point guard. On the other hand, the Warriors have tons of "so called talent" but no team. We can't rebound, we can't pass, we can't play well in a half-court set (offensively or defensively), our best young players (Ellis and Biedrins) make rookie mistakes and our heir apparent to Dunleavy Jr. Pietrus has yet to live up to his lottery status or countryman Boris. Until Nellie starts winning with this squad and actually makes the playoffs, this trade, like the Nellie hiring, is more about making noise than winning games.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 pm
why do you always compare us to teams like the Suns and mavs that are going to win 65 games? And you compare our players to superb players. It's stupid. You never make imperical arguments, you just make half arguments and then continue to trail off into a rant. Let me complain like you would if you were a Suns fan

We've lost the last two western conference finals. Marion constantly chokes in the clutch, he isn't as consistent or clutch as his countryman Lebron James. Amare had a horrible 05-06 season. He showed up in like two games the whole year, I don't get what's with that. We only beat the knicks by six today. Yeah, the knicks. We have no chance of winning it all if we don't start playing some defense. We're probably going to trade away all three of our lottery picks since Jerry Colangelo has made so many dumb moves in the past I don't know what he's gonna do next.

See what I mean? You can make a whiny, nonsensical complaint about a team that's on a 15 game win streak. If you can give any shred of evidence towards any of your claims then....well, then I'll entertain your thoughts as if they came from a rational individual.
ImageImage
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball