Why Barnes didn't play on Monday vs the Lakers

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 am
This is from the bottom of an article on "Inside Bay Area"

Nelson said he deliberately left forward Matt Barnes on the bench Monday as a punishment. "I was mad at Barnes," Nelson said. "He's played four (bad) games in a row. I just wanted to slap him, and I figured that was the way to do it."

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 am
jsw548 wrote:This is from the bottom of an article on "Inside Bay Area"

Nelson said he deliberately left forward Matt Barnes on the bench Monday as a punishment. "I was mad at Barnes," Nelson said. "He's played four (bad) games in a row. I just wanted to slap him, and I figured that was the way to do it."

Nellie is such an asshole. For all of you that are so happy about this trade give it a month then all hell is going to break out on this team. Nellie will retire either at the end of this year are next and leave this team/franchies ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you make a deal with the devil you always lose and we can thank Mullins for that :evil:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:33 am
WTF?. He played well against the Cavs... not outstanding, but he did his job (unless he truly sucked in the second half... I was only able to catch the firt half).

I wonder if he would do the same if Baron's the one having several bad games in a row...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:37 am
Golden wrote:Nellie is such an asshole. For all of you that are so happy about this trade give it a month then all hell is going to break out on this team. Nellie will retire either at the end of this year are next and leave this team/franchies ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you make a deal with the devil you always lose and we can thank Mullins for that :evil:

And you base that idea of Nellie retiring at the end of the year on... what exactly?.

In any case, the trade helped. Dunleavy and Murphy were not going to take this team closer to the playoffs than we were, and we saved $30 million on future salaries... I honestly can't see how the trade damaged anything (other than the Pacers' salary cap).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:37 am
Since when is it horrible to set a player straight for falling off the face of the earth?

THIS is the sort of thing we would have loved Monty to do with Dunleavy; now I'll bet you Barnes comes out and scores 25 points next game! Matt Barnes FG% has declined, by the month, from 60% in November, 40% in December, to now an insane 28% in January.

This was exactly the right thing to do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:41 am
#32 wrote:Since when is it horrible to set a player straight for falling off the face of the earth?

It's dumb when you do that after his best game in the last four... If anything, he should have had a DNP against the Cavs, not against the Lakers.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:10 pm
TMC wrote:I wonder if he would do the same if Baron's the one having several bad games in a row...

Not at all, but Matt Barnes is a role player, so I think Nellie is trying to keep him in his place since now we don't have to rely on Barnes to carry us some games and do too much. Since sadly, the Warriors were relying on a player named Matt Barnes to carry the team a few games this season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm
Squalldip wrote:
TMC wrote:I wonder if he would do the same if Baron's the one having several bad games in a row...

Not at all, but Matt Barnes is a role player, so I think Nellie is trying to keep him in his place since now we don't have to rely on Barnes to carry us some games and do too much. Since sadly, the Warriors were relying on a player named Matt Barnes to carry the team a few games this season.

Yeah, well, but there are other ways, you know. Just talk to him telling what he has to do or fix in his game (that may have been the case, but from Nellie's words doesn't seem like it).

As far as I'm concerned, Barnes deserves praise, not punishments.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 pm
"I was mad at him," Nelson said. "He's played like four (crappy) games in a row. I just wanted to slap him and figured that was the way to do it -- just not play him in a game."

Barnes received his first "DNP-coach's decision" since Dec. 5 and is stuck in his first extended shooting slump of the season. Though he started the season hitting better than 50 percent from three-point range, he has missed 27 of his last 34 attempts.

Nelson said he scolded Barnes because "I need him and love him," and the coach can expect an improved Barnes when he returns to the rotation.

"I definitely heard that message loud and clear last night," Barnes said.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:47 pm
blah barn's were taking alot of shots some games. Some more than others. like 2/15 one game or so.But he doesnt deserve punishment

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 pm
I was swearing at Barnes in the second half of the Cavs game. I counted 3 times when he brought the ball up and tried to play the point unsuccessfully near the end of the game. Monte should have been the one with the ball at the top of the circle. Barnes was not going to break his man down or create for anyone else. Its fine for him to bring the ball up in a fast break situation, but pinning Monte on the wing and dominating the point kills us in the half court. I'm glad Nelson sat him the next game, those possessions where he tried to play point in the half court, could have been the difference between winning and losing vs. the Cavs.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:56 pm

If I knew Nellie was gonna be this much fun I woulda been a whole lot more enthused when we signed him as the coach. Just the last few KNBR dunleavy interviews before he was traded was worth the $ we are paying him to coach. The more i know Nellie the more i like him.

Cant wait to see what he says about Foyle's foulness last game.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm
Golden wrote:

Nellie is such an asshole. For all of you that are so happy about this trade give it a month then all hell is going to break out on this team. Nellie will retire either at the end of this year are next and leave this team/franchies ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you make a deal with the devil you always lose and we can thank Mullins for that :evil:

This was one of the few most one sided trades (in the warriors favor) in the history of the Franchise. You realize that you immediately lost all your credibility with that post
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 pm
Nelson: A coach can only control one thing on his team: minutes allocated to players. Nelson is old school and will use minutes as a tool to control, motivate, punish players.

The Pacer trade: It helped both teams. Jermaine O'Neal was on JT the Brick tonight talking about how Dunleavy and Murphy compliment his game better than Harrington and Jackson, two players whom he praised as both friends and as excellent players.

We do have a log jam at shooting guard and at small forward. Guys are going to fight for minutes and the rotation will be set based upon matchups and effectiveness.

Lastly, Nelson has a history of self-destructing; however, it usually happens after a few seasons. Let's hope that he follows his previous pattern and gives this team a few good seasons. If he self-destructs now, then we are in big trouble.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:34 am
uptempo wrote:The Pacer trade: It helped both teams. Jermaine O'Neal was on JT the Brick tonight talking about how Dunleavy and Murphy compliment his game better than Harrington and Jackson, two players whom he praised as both friends and as excellent players.

Yeah, at least Murph seems to be back to his old double-double days. Still no defense... but he ain't shooting that much from outside.

Dun sucks. As always.

Ike doesn't play much. As Always. (Still, 8 points and 4 boards in 11 minutes last night)
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball