Pacers/Warriors Trade... Best Move Yet By Mullin?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

How would you rate Chris Mullin's latest trade?

Excellent; one of his best moves yet.
76%
Decent... I'm just glad we lost Dunleavy and Murphy.
24%
Average. Nothing special.
No votes
Horrible!!! Diogu's gonna blow up on the Pacers!!!
No votes

Total votes : 34

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am
uptempo wrote:
dareedle wrote:...a solid performance from Dunleavy who has become a scoring option under the Carlisle system.

???

5/13 (38%)...uh, yeah
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:11 am
dareedle wrote:Another disappointing loss, and a solid performance from Dunleavy who has become a scoring option under the Carlisle system. .

Your smocking crack bro. Your whole post was full of crap, I just didnt wanna quote the whole thing. You must have been watching a different game than the one that was on FoxSportsNet Bay Area, non of the reasons you brought up are reasons why we lost this game.

We lost this game because we gave up so many free-throws and reason being is the new guys are not used to our defensive scheme yet and guys were out of position forcing guys into making tough defensive plays. Plus there was some miscommunication between new guys and old guys on offesnse that wont happen 5 games from now.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm
I dunno what you're on, brother... but Dunleavy's about as solid as a water balloon.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Hi, pacers fan here, first time poster. Here is a little analysis from my view in Indianapolis.

I actually am impressed by Junior so far. He seems to be very solid as far as knowing what he is doing out there. He seems to be making the right plays, at least in the first 2 games. I'm not really sure why everyone hated him. I doubt he is going to be anything more than 3rd or 4th option scoring, but he plays in the flow of the offense. And that is really nice to see on the pacers team. I found myself wanting to see him put back in the game when he was taken out last night vs the bulls. And he played almost the whole game.

I really like what I am seeing from Murph too. He is just what the Pacers have needed, a solid role player who can rebound and spread the floor a bit for JO.

I dunno much about Ike. He has only seen about 10 minutes or so his first 2 games with the Pacers.

You guys got a hell of a player in Stephen Jackson.

There was probably just as much/more hate for him in Indiana as there was for Junior in Cali. But for the totally opposite reasons. Jackson is as tough as they come. He will play through almost any injury and give you his all, which includes his emotions, whining at the refs and getting really pissed off at the coach for taking him out a game.
He plays outstanding defense, and was probably our best perimiter defender. His offensive decisions aren't his strong suit, though he had been doing alot better this year, passing the ball more and playing within the offense. I think he was having his best year as a Pacer. I'm gonna miss his toughness and defense, not so much his offense.

Al has gone from a defensive beast ('02-'04) to a 3 point shooting - 6'8" 250lb shooting guard who gives hardly any defensive effort anymore. His tenure in Atlanta really hurt his game or something. 1 rebound is pathetic for a guy that big playing that many minutes. He played like that as well in Indiana this year. He obviously was not fitting in, in Indiana, and he seemed unhappy with his role on the Pacers. I won't really miss him that much. I miss the AL from the '03-'04 season.

Runi is a good 3rd string back up PG. The worst part about him is the legions of fanboys from Lithuania/Israel who think he is better than Michael Jordan and Steve Nash, and the only problem is USA basketball isn't a team game and coaches don't know how to play him right.. blah blah... I'm sure you'll get to hear it all soon.

Josh Powell is a keeper. He could work his way into the rotation and be a nice surprise for y'all.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm
burtrem redneck wrote:Hi, pacers fan here, first time poster. Here is a little analysis from my view in Indianapolis.

I actually am impressed by Junior so far. He seems to be very solid as far as knowing what he is doing out there. He seems to be making the right plays, at least in the first 2 games. I'm not really sure why everyone hated him. I doubt he is going to be anything more than 3rd or 4th option scoring, but he plays in the flow of the offense. And that is really nice to see on the pacers team. I found myself wanting to see him put back in the game when he was taken out last night vs the bulls. And he played almost the whole game.

I really like what I am seeing from Murph too. He is just what the Pacers have needed, a solid role player who can rebound and spread the floor a bit for JO.

I dunno much about Ike. He has only seen about 10 minutes or so his first 2 games with the Pacers.

There was probably just as much/more hate for him in Indiana as there was for Junior in Cali. But for the totally opposite reasons. Jackson is as tough as they come. He will play through almost any injury and give you his all, which includes his emotions, whining at the refs and getting really pissed off at the coach for taking him out a game.
He plays outstanding defense, and was probably our best perimiter defender. His offensive decisions aren't his strong suit, though he had been doing alot better this year, passing the ball more and playing within the offense. I think he was having his best year as a Pacer. I'm gonna miss his toughness and defense, not so much his offense.

Al has gone from a defensive beast ('02-'04) to a 3 point shooting - 6'8" 250lb shooting guard who gives hardly any defensive effort anymore. His tenure in Atlanta really hurt his game or something. 1 rebound is pathetic for a guy that big playing that many minutes. He played like that as well in Indiana this year. He obviously was not fitting in, in Indiana, and he seemed unhappy with his role on the Pacers. I won't really miss him that much. I miss the AL from the '03-'04 season.

Runi is a good 3rd string back up PG. The worst part about him is the legions of fanboys from Lithuania/Israel who think he is better than Michael Jordan and Steve Nash, and the only problem is USA basketball isn't a team game and coaches don't know how to play him right.. blah blah... I'm sure you'll get to hear it all soon.

Josh Powell is a keeper. He could work his way into the rotation and be a nice surprise for y'all.

thanks for the perspective. Your take on Al sounds like ours on Murphy...as for Dung, unless I am sadly mistaken, you will see soon enough why folks did not like him here. Watch how often he disappears in the clutch, esp. making the open shot. You'll see. He is good at taking charges. I agree on Powell, he showed some nice flashes last night against the lakers, and sarunas will do just fine as a backup, PG. Your real steal is Ike, but is he going to get any minutes behind Jermaine?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:16 pm
burtrem redneck wrote:I actually am impressed by Junior so far. He seems to be very solid as far as knowing what he is doing out there. He seems to be making the right plays, at least in the first 2 games. I'm not really sure why everyone hated him. I doubt he is going to be anything more than 3rd or 4th option scoring, but he plays in the flow of the offense. And that is really nice to see on the pacers team. I found myself wanting to see him put back in the game when he was taken out last night vs the bulls. And he played almost the whole game.

And that's why he got the contract he got. There's no question; when Mike Dunleavy plays with his head on straight, he's capable of +15 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists. But wait for the other shoe to drop. I've heard complaints from Pacers fans about how inconsistent Al Harrington is. You may not be too thrilled with Mike Dunleavy when he goes 0-for-8 with 2 rebounds and 1 assists, 3 turnovers, and 2 fouls in 30 minutes (trust me, it happens).

burtrem redneck wrote:I really like what I am seeing from Murph too. He is just what the Pacers have needed, a solid role player who can rebound and spread the floor a bit for JO.

Murph, currently, is the best player you guys got in the trade. He won't give you any crazy, franchise-level play, but the guy is extremely solid. He's a double-double machine (unless he's had a bad game, Murph will usually crank out 10 points and 12 rebounds). Not a great defender, but it shouldn't be too bad (now that JO is there to cover his ass).

burtrem redneck wrote:I dunno much about Ike. He has only seen about 10 minutes or so his first 2 games with the Pacers.

Ike has major skill, but is a huge project. In one-on-one coverage in the post, there's not a player in this league who could take Diogu (and that's the truth; the man slammed the ball straight down Ben Wallace's throat last year). But once teams catch onto that, he's got problems passing out of a double-team, he doesn't know the playbook, and he's kind of a foul-machine right now. Trust me, years from now, you'll love Ike. But he still needs about 2 more seasons in the oven.

burtrem redneck wrote:Runi is a good 3rd string back up PG. The worst part about him is the legions of fanboys from Lithuania/Israel who think he is better than Michael Jordan and Steve Nash, and the only problem is USA basketball isn't a team game and coaches don't know how to play him right.. blah blah... I'm sure you'll get to hear it all soon.

Oh, we already have. :wink:

burtrem redneck wrote:Josh Powell is a keeper. He could work his way into the rotation and be a nice surprise for y'all.

Yeah, the kid impressed me against the Lakers (getting the most monstrous swat of the season, thus far... along with a couple nice boards). He seems like a player we had last season named Chris Taft (who, oddly enough, wore the same number). I just hope he's not as injury prone.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:54 pm
burtrem redneck wrote:I actually am impressed by Junior so far. He seems to be very solid as far as knowing what he is doing out there. He seems to be making the right plays, at least in the first 2 games. I'm not really sure why everyone hated him. I doubt he is going to be anything more than 3rd or 4th option scoring, but he plays in the flow of the offense. And that is really nice to see on the pacers team. I found myself wanting to see him put back in the game when he was taken out last night vs the bulls. And he played almost the whole game.

He's a decent player but not for us. Also, he's about as inconsistent as a player can be. A good comparison to dunleavy is Morrison this season.

He's a decent player. Again, didn't fit in with the dubs. Again inconsistent. He's always struck me as a guy who could be a decent 5th or 6th best player on a team, but not 3rd or 4th

Ike is an unstoppable offensive machine with horrible defense and no passing or ballhandling skills. If he learns to pass out of the double team his minutes will triple overnight

tell me about it

Yeah, but we can all agree that Jackson is a better player than dunleavy in a strictly basketball sence

yeah. We've gotten a lot of those so far. If a different style worked better then it would be used here :eyeroll: . I think they don't get that you're not a fan of a team if you just follow one player around. It's similar with Carlos Arroyo.[/quote]
ImageImage
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 am
My first post had to be in this topic!!!

What a trade!!!

Mullin is able to upgrade Murphy and Dunleavy with 2 better ballers (with better contracts) who are also way more suited to play under Nelson.

We also get rid of McLeod who i never liked and got one of my favourite players in Sarunas (ive wanted him in a warriors uniform ever since i saw him play in the Athens olympics.)

Only part which wasnt that good was losing Diogu, but i doubt he would have ever become a star under Nelson, or with this team.

So im happy enough knowing that he was able to move elsewhere where he can flourish under a different system.

And Powell could be a good player in a few seasons, he's athletic atleast.

So thats my first post of the year.
NICE WORK MULLY!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:56 am
Welcome to both of you, guys. As everybody has gone step by step, I'm gonna do so, too.

You won't be in a few months. Give him time to show his real self (no defense, no clutch performances... disappears in some games while looks decent in others). I'm not surprised he's doing (relatively) well now, but just because he has something to prove after the trade. Give him to to get used to his new environment.

He's a good shooter that may love his shot a bit too much. He's also going to be a decent (not great) rebounder... and that's all. I don't think that deserves the kind of contract he has... but he's fine if you don't expect anything else.

You're gonna love him. I can tell you that much. I don't think Indy would have done the trade without Ike in it. He's still too raw (for the reasons previously stated), but I'm sure he'll improve.

I'm surprised. Everybody seemed to hate him in Pacerland... and every Pacer fan that posts here has something good to say about him.

I must say he's looked impressive so far (the best player of the trade by far). Maybe a change of scenery was all he needed.

I'm just happy we have him because our previous backup was Keith McLeod. There's a world of difference between those two. Saras can play his 15 minutes as Baron's backup perfectly but I don't really expect more than that from him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:34 am
DazMan32 wrote:My first post had to be in this topic!!!

What a trade!!!

Mullin is able to upgrade Murphy and Dunleavy with 2 better ballers (with better contracts) who are also way more suited to play under Nelson.

We also get rid of McLeod who i never liked and got one of my favourite players in Sarunas (ive wanted him in a warriors uniform ever since i saw him play in the Athens olympics.)

Only part which wasnt that good was losing Diogu, but i doubt he would have ever become a star under Nelson, or with this team.

So im happy enough knowing that he was able to move elsewhere where he can flourish under a different system.

And Powell could be a good player in a few seasons, he's athletic atleast.

So thats my first post of the year.

Good to have another 32 on the board, DazMan. Welcome. :thumbleft:
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball