Spam Scum

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:13 pm
The thing that blows my mind is, these simple-minded scum must believe this sh*t works, as opposed to just pissing everyone off. What do they think - that people using the internet aren't aware there is porn out there if they are so inclined? Porn on the internet...who knew??? Hey, I know, let's spam a basketball forum - that'll boost business. Spammers are not only annoying, they are f**king morons. Is there a LESS effective method of marketing? Even opt-in email lists have a 1/2 of one percent response rate...I don't know if Hobbes can rejigger the sign-up, but it would be nice to filter out these pond scum. :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:23 pm
Yeah, I agree. It's gotten out of hand lately.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:18 pm
I swear to God, I don't remember ever seeing THIS much ****ing spam all at once. This is insane.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 pm
It has to have the opposite effect on what they are aiming for. All it does is anger their client base.

I will adamantly refuse to use any service that spams or cold calls at random like we just experienced. It is just a matter of principle and decency.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:14 pm
coltraning wrote:I don't know if Hobbes can rejigger the sign-up, but it would be nice to filter out these pond scum. :roll:

Something as simple as a mini-questionaire, prior to being accepted to the board, would do.

3 simple questions. Whose your favorite Warrior, why do you wish to join the forum, and whats one move you'd make as GM?

Boom. Right there. Spambots couldn't answer it. Or, hell, most wouldn't even bother trying to.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 pm
Thunder wrote:It has to have the opposite effect on what they are aiming for. All it does is anger their client base.

I will adamantly refuse to use any service that spams or cold calls at random like we just experienced. It is just a matter of principle and decency.


Yeah I agree, it especially pisses me off that they have to screw up the forums by bringing old (even threads dating back to September) threads up to the top. Not only a few, but MULTIPLE threads in EACH FORUM. Jeez. The questionarre is something we should really think about.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 pm
Was there spam like this when Baron was traded to the Warriors? This spam is nuts. I've never seen so much deleted material in a forum before.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 pm
In the mean time, I think that adding some more mods would be benificial. If every regular was a mod this stuff would get dealt with quickly. Usually between migya, tmc, 32, coltraning, me, jaypat, xbayareawarriorx, and uptempo one of us will be online at any given time
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:06 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:In the mean time, I think that adding some more mods would be benificial. If every regular was a mod this stuff would get dealt with quickly. Usually between migya, tmc, 32, coltraning, me, jaypat, xbayareawarriorx, and uptempo one of us will be online at any given time


It would help erasing the spam. At least it would go faster. If someone spams the board in the afternoon (Oakland time), I can't erase it til the next day.

Problem is that, as only hobbes bans users, we're just forced to follow the spammers through the board erasing each post and thread.

I like the idea of having a question when new members try to register. Something dumb like "who's the current coach?" or something like that, that every fan would know... That should be enough to control the number of spammer that register and post their crap every day.

In any case, it's cyclical. We may have times with lots of spam... and months without a single post.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21211
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 am
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:I don't know if Hobbes can rejigger the sign-up, but it would be nice to filter out these pond scum. :roll:

Something as simple as a mini-questionaire, prior to being accepted to the board, would do.

3 simple questions. Whose your favorite Warrior, why do you wish to join the forum, and whats one move you'd make as GM?

Boom. Right there. Spambots couldn't answer it. Or, hell, most wouldn't even bother trying to.



Very good suggestion and really would be effective
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:28 am
I was having a bunch of spam a long time ago, so I put in one of those things were you have to enter the code that appears on the page (4JFSH3WY) etc. and that seem to work for a while, but now it looks like the porno spammers have found a way around it. When I have some time I'll see if there is something else I can add. Pretty much adding some sort of additional question like you mentioned would probably work, but programming that in isn't as easy as you would think. I should have something soon though, i am sick of these aholes as well.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 am
hobbes wrote:I was having a bunch of spam a long time ago, so I put in one of those things were you have to enter the code that appears on the page (4JFSH3WY) etc. and that seem to work for a while, but now it looks like the porno spammers have found a way around it. When I have some time I'll see if there is something else I can add. Pretty much adding some sort of additional question like you mentioned would probably work, but programming that in isn't as easy as you would think. I should have something soon though, i am sick of these aholes as well.

thanks, Hobbes...another thought is to make every new member post on the new member sticky and get approved? Is that easier to do?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:15 pm
coltraning wrote:
hobbes wrote:I was having a bunch of spam a long time ago, so I put in one of those things were you have to enter the code that appears on the page (4JFSH3WY) etc. and that seem to work for a while, but now it looks like the porno spammers have found a way around it. When I have some time I'll see if there is something else I can add. Pretty much adding some sort of additional question like you mentioned would probably work, but programming that in isn't as easy as you would think. I should have something soon though, i am sick of these aholes as well.

thanks, Hobbes...another thought is to make every new member post on the new member sticky and get approved? Is that easier to do?


Probably harder. Actually, I'd like to try alternative ways to deal with spam. Maybe checking their IPs and blocking the range they use would work... I've sent a PM to hobbes with a couple of ideas he may try.

If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to go back to the original plan and modify the register form.

The idea of allowing new users to just post in the introduction thread seems a bit restrictive. I don't know if it can be done (well, it sure can be done. I meant easily), as the rights of the users would have to be set to allow posting in just one thread, and then changed again once they're accepted. Hobbes will be more able to give you a final answer on the idea...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:
hobbes wrote:I was having a bunch of spam a long time ago, so I put in one of those things were you have to enter the code that appears on the page (4JFSH3WY) etc. and that seem to work for a while, but now it looks like the porno spammers have found a way around it. When I have some time I'll see if there is something else I can add. Pretty much adding some sort of additional question like you mentioned would probably work, but programming that in isn't as easy as you would think. I should have something soon though, i am sick of these aholes as well.

thanks, Hobbes...another thought is to make every new member post on the new member sticky and get approved? Is that easier to do?


Probably harder. Actually, I'd like to try alternative ways to deal with spam. Maybe checking their IPs and blocking the range they use would work... I've sent a PM to hobbes with a couple of ideas he may try.

If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to go back to the original plan and modify the register form.

The idea of allowing new users to just post in the introduction thread seems a bit restrictive. I don't know if it can be done (well, it sure can be done. I meant easily), as the rights of the users would have to be set to allow posting in just one thread, and then changed again once they're accepted. Hobbes will be more able to give you a final answer on the idea...

sure - whatever can be done...this was such a spam free zone for the most part, and now it's getting a little out of hand.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm
coltraning wrote:The thing that blows my mind is, these simple-minded scum must believe this sh*t works...


Same feeling for the normal email spam. I tried some special cream and now my nose is so big that no woman will have me.

Seriously, can they possibly be making money on links that are so obviously wrong? Does someone here know anything about spam marketing? It would be interesting to know how it works.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron