Say it ain't so

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:21 pm
20th January, 2007 - 11:58 am
Contra Costa Times -
The Warriors are discussing a trade with the Detroit Pistons involving center Nazr Mohammed, a person familiar with the talks confirmed on condition of anonymity.

The source said Detroit has inquired about Warriors combo guard Monta Ellis, recently acquired point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, swingman Mickael Pietrus and forward Matt Barnes.

According to the Detroit News, the Pistons also have offered Mohammed for Minnesota's Marko Jaric, Toronto's Mo Peterson and Houston's Bonzi Wells.

No way we'd do such a one sided trade, I'd trade MP and fillers straight up for Nazr, but that's about it. The only way I'd do that trade would be if we were positive that monta and pietrus were going to leave this summer.

btw, in the same article:
Center Patrick O'Bryant's return from the NBA Development League was brief; the Warriors announced Friday that the No. 9 overall pick in this summer's draft had been sent back down to the D-League's Bakersfield Jam after playing one game for the Warriors. That's the second of three allowable D-League assignments this season for O'Bryant. ... Guard Jason Richardson (broken right hand) looked on enviously as his remade team went through its first workout. "Anytime you get two guys like (Harrington and Jackson) to help your team out, it's just adding extra weapons," Richardson said. "It's exciting. I can't wait. I'm ready to cut this cast off right now." ... Although Jackson is expected to eat most deeply into Barnes' minutes, Nelson said Barnes will retain a spot in the Warriors' regular rotation, which could stretch as deep as 10 players.

no real surprise there
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:25 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
Contra Costa Times -
The Warriors are discussing a trade with the Detroit Pistons involving center Nazr Mohammed, a person familiar with the talks confirmed on condition of anonymity.

The source said Detroit has inquired about Warriors combo guard Monta Ellis, recently acquired point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, swingman Mickael Pietrus and forward Matt Barnes.

According to the Detroit News, the Pistons also have offered Mohammed for Minnesota's Marko Jaric, Toronto's Mo Peterson and Houston's Bonzi Wells.

No way we'd do such a one sided trade, I'd trade MP and fillers straight up for Nazr, but that's about it. The only way I'd do that trade would be if we were positive that monta and pietrus were going to leave this summer.

I've also read about it. I'm ok with Barnes and/or Pietrus... and that's all. The other trades sound dumb as hell.

Also, Nazr has a bad contract (not terrible, but it's a long one. He's signed til 2011 at an average of $6 million). I would wait a bit before making any trade like that.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:54 pm
Just what we need: A skinny version of Foyle...
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:36 pm
How about Foyle for Nazr straight up?
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:57 pm
uptempo wrote:How about Foyle for Nazr straight up?

Talent-wise that is good but Foyle's contract ends sooner than Nazr's. No thanks.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:36 pm
John Patrick wrote:

Talent-wise that is good but Foyle's contract ends sooner than Nazr's. No thanks.

If the Warriors are to do a deal with Detroit, I would like to see us acquire Antonio McDyess, a guy who would give us a good 15 minutes a night off the bench at power forward. He is a high character guy who makes few mistakes, gets key rebounds, and can score the crucial basket.

Would a Foyle for McDyess trade work?

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:36 pm
John Patrick wrote:

If the Warriors are to do a deal with Detroit, I would like to see us acquire Antonio McDyess, a guy who would give us a good 15 minutes a night off the bench at power forward. He is a high character guy who makes few mistakes, gets key rebounds, and can score the crucial basket.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:25 pm
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

no, because there's no way in hell detroit would do that trade. Mcdyess' contract ends in a year.
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:15 pm
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

MCDYESS IS BROKEN UP. HE CAN'T JUMP OR RUN ANYMORE. HE COULDN'T KEEP-UP WITH THIS WARRIOR TEAM.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

MCDYESS IS BROKEN UP. HE CAN'T JUMP OR RUN ANYMORE. HE COULDN'T KEEP-UP WITH THIS WARRIOR TEAM.

I can't believe that you guys
A) wouldn't trade Foyle for McDyess
B) think that Detroit would consider making that trade
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:43 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

I can't believe that you guys
A) wouldn't trade Foyle for McDyess
B) think that Detroit would consider making that trade

Even a "broken up" McDyess, would contribute come playoff time when the half-court game becomes even more important.

With Webber now on the Pistons, how much playing time does that leave for McDyess? Webber will slide over to power forward when Rasheed sits down and Nazr will come in at center.

Foyle may be the kind of player that the Pistons need. In all honesty, I would just be happy if Mullin could get rid of the guy. I would rather see POB on the roster. He is longer, has upside, and my actually become a decent NBA player.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:07 am
Contra Costa Times -

Why Monta? Why would we give him up? There's no player they have that could help the team out really. I'm with uptempo though, I agree, McDyess could be a good fit. The only worry I have is if he'll hold up in Nelson's system with those legs even if it is for 15 minutes.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:46 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
Contra Costa Times -

Why Monta? Why would we give him up? There's no player they have that could help the team out really. I'm with uptempo though, I agree, McDyess could be a good fit. The only worry I have is if he'll hold up in Nelson's system with those legs even if it is for 15 minutes.

The team does have a logjam at shooting guard and small forward. Maybe Nelson would feel comfortable losing Monta if he could get a power forward in return. He, Monta, is undersized when compared to Richardson, Azubuike, and Jackson.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:49 am
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

None of those trades works. Foyle's contract is $3 million above Nazr/McDyess... they would have to send someone else our way (which, in fact, would make the trade look even worse than already is from Detroit's point of view).

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:08 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

None of those trades works. Foyle's contract is $3 million above Nazr/McDyess... they would have to send someone else our way (which, in fact, would make the trade look even worse than already is from Detroit's point of view).

Can the team win with different combinations of Harrington, Barnes, Pietrus, Powell, Biedrens, and Foyle on the frontline, with Jackson also sliding into the mix from guard? My only concern is if this team gets into the playoffs where the half-court game becomes more important.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball