New players in Cleveland game

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:07 am
I didn't saw the game (it started midnight around 4 o'clock am, here), but from the statistics i can say this:

SJax:
Played quite a good game. His shooting percentage was higher than playing for Pacers. Commited his usual dose of turnovers and had usual number of rebounds. It seems, he was playing a pretty good defence (looking at the steals). If he could put such the numbers (relatively) on the constant basis it would be great. From what I saw in Indiana - he can't, but you have quality players to replace him if he is having an off-night.

Al:
Al just went Al :) He is kind of the player, who can't realise on-court, when he just should stop trying to shoot (usually he realises this in the press-conference). The coach must find a way to control Al, to tell him he should concentrate on other things, when the ball isn't falling. Other than that - i see, he brought toughness and quite a good defence, which was non existant in Indiana. Maybe it's really he just could'nt coexist with JO.

Question:
How was the ball movement with SJax and All on court?

Saras (a simple nickname to use) :
Had his mediocre game (his points average is 7,?, but that's because he played only several minutes in some games). It's encouraging to see Ast-TO ratio (especially knowing, that the team is only starting the gelling) In Indiana he was turnover prone player. He got better this year, but still it's the question - is Nellie offense just much better suited? I expect his Ast numbers going a little up (~6-7) after spending some time with a team.
But looking at the stats it's hard to judge the PG. So, my questions are:
1) Could he bring the ball up the floor without problems, or had he difficulties with it?
2) How looks his defence in teams defence context?
3) Ball movement with him on-floor and how looks his playmaking?

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 am
It looks like SJax and Al got a green light from the coach.
People who saw the game pls give us some feedback.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:30 am
DeS wrote:Question:
How was the ball movement with SJax and Al on court?

Too early to tell. Jackson admitted he only knew a couple of plays, and we didn't have Baron, which is the guy all the offense goes through.

Al shot way too much, but he proved to be a capable rebounder. At least for this game. Hope it was not a fluke.

DeS wrote:Saras (a simple nickname to use) :
Had his mediocre game (his points average is 7,?, but that's because he played only several minutes in some games). It's encouraging to see Ast-TO ratio (especially knowing, that the team is only starting the gelling) In Indiana he was turnover prone player. He got better this year, but still it's the question - is Nellie offense just much better suited? I expect his Ast numbers going a little up (~6-7) after spending some time with a team.
But looking at the stats it's hard to judge the PG. So, my questions are:
1) Could he bring the ball up the floor without problems, or had he difficulties with it?
2) How looks his defence in teams defence context?
3) Ball movement with him on-floor and how looks his playmaking?

2) Nobody plays defense in the W's so he fits perfectly.

As for the other questions, see the SJax and Al answer. They have barely practiced two times with the team and still don't know the plays...

(btw, I must say that I've only seen the first half. Don't ask me about the collapse at the end)
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:59 pm
I was there.

S-Jax: I thought he was excellent tonight (and I'm sure no one really disagrees). I thought these refs were horrible (honestly) and a lot of those turnovers were from hacks that weren't called. I thought he knew when to drive, and that's always good. His shot is very good, even excellent, considering Nellie went to him for the last shot on his first game. His defense is also excellent. The only criticism I had was that his shot selection was iffy at times.

Harrington: It seemed like he was struggling tonight and I wouldn't expect this kind of poor shooting/scoring consistently. He seems like a tough player who can rebound well. Also I was impressed by him being able to take it up on the break. I think he will really benefit from a player like Baron.

Saras: This guy is lights out. He's automatically one of the best shooters on the team. He's an excellent FT shooter (it was hilarious to see him pissed off at himself when he missed that free throw). Personally I'd like for him to shoot more. His ball-handling/passing is solid. I really like him coming off the bench.

What are some flaws of these players we should look out for?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 pm
John Patrick wrote:What are some flaws of these players we should look out for?

S-Jax: His head. From what I've seen, he likes to be the man... even when he shouldn't. He should be a bit smarter on the court. Other than that, he's fine. A pretty complete player.

Harrington: A bit like S-Jax. I think he's a worse defender (not as bad as Murphy, tho, so there's a slight improvement). I'm surprised by his rebounding against the Cavs. I can't see a reason why he couldn't get 8-9 boards per game, but his numbers in Indiana do not show that. Shoots too much at times.

Saras: Can't defend for sh*t. Specially attrocious in man-to-man. Great on offense, tho. I said when we traded for him that he was already the best shooter on the team.

Just my two cents...

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:03 am
John Patrick wrote:
Saras: This guy is lights out. He's automatically one of the best shooters on the team. He's an excellent FT shooter (it was hilarious to see him pissed off at himself when he missed that free throw). Personally I'd like for him to shoot more. His ball-handling/passing is solid. I really like him coming off the bench.

Wow, a compliment for Sarunas. I'm shocked. That was extremely rare case in Pacers lands. Saras was 3 in his team by +/- stat, but it seemed he always looked only slow, defence liability and turnover prone to Pacers fans.

John Patrick wrote:What are some flaws of these players we should look out for?

Saras. Well, he's not the fastest guy on the planet. His one-on-one defence is mediocre at best, but well, he's a good help (there was some sort of statistics about that thing) defence player. The team needs to cover this flaw like Maccabi (Europe team he played) used to do. He can play one-on-one on offence, but he's more effective in pick and rolls and screens (that was so rare in Indiana, almost everybody their tried to outplay their opponents 1 on 1, 1 on 2 and so on). He does 4,1 turnovers in 48 min, but as long as his A/To ratio is about 2, it's not a big problem imo. Also very important thing for him is to find his place and to feel that he can contribute. He can be effective ONLY in selfless teams.

Jack. Sometimes he falls in love with his shot and it's very bad when it isn't falling and it happens. Those times Nellie should calm him down. Sometimes likes to speak to referees while opponents are scoring points playing 5 on 4.

Al. Wasn't a very good defender in Pacers, but he can defend I think. Can rebound, but sometimes forgets how to do it. Sometimes has problems with his shot selection. Keeps shooting even if it's 0/15. Dissappears in big games.

But maybe all these guys will fit better and feel better playing for Warriors and we'll see how will they do.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 am
I was there, too.

Jackson looked outstanding. Obviously he is not going to score 29 every game, but he moved the ball well, shot well, defended well -a HUGE upgrade from Dunleavy, as I see him easily moving to the 3 when JRich returns...

Harrington had great energy, but got stuffed by the Cavs bigs down low. Like JPAT said, I do not see him shooting 4/21 regularly...my guess is that the total points from him and SJAX willbe about the same, if distributed differently than last night..

Sarunas looked excellent with the Ws. Moved ball well and shot great -as a backup PG, he should do well in our system. Can't play D? Well, join the club on this team (and Jackson/Harrington are huge upgrades over Murphy/Dunleavy/Ike on D -sorry to tell you but none of those 3 play D), and if he likes to run the pick and roll, he has a very willing partner in Biedrins...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 am
I saw the game.

The new guys were fine.

Jackson surprised me with his ability to pass the ball.

Harrington did struggle a bit; however, he did play good on the ball as well as weakside defense. He also has the ability to snatch a defensive rebound and lead the break, which showed me versatility and was great to see.

Cabbage looked like he could run the offense. I would not be surprised to see Baron playing some 2 guard with Cabbage or Harrington at the point. Nelson loves the unorthodox.

Lastly, the new players allows for the Warriors to play man to man defense. With Murphy and Dunleavy, it looked like the team had to play zone in order to cover up DunMurphy's defensive weaknesses.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:04 pm
DeS wrote:I didn't saw the game (it started midnight around 4 o'clock am, here), but from the statistics i can say this:

I stopped listening. Sorry, but I can't take read a game review from someone going off the box score. Maybe next time, buddy. :thumbleft:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:12 pm
#32 wrote:
DeS wrote:I didn't saw the game (it started midnight around 4 o'clock am, here), but from the statistics i can say this:

I stopped listening. Sorry, but I can't take read a game review from someone going off the box score. Maybe next time, buddy. :thumbleft:

Why not?. Hollinjerk does it everytime... :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:15 pm
And we all know how much I loooove John Hollinger and his BS, skewed statistics. :roll:

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:55 pm
#32 wrote:

Com'on - this is not the game review. This is just a comparable analysis of the new players statistics. Usually I don't have the capability to watch live warriors games as i live on the other side of the world and sometimes when some pirate sites are broadcasting it - it begins around 4am here :( So, the next time isn't comming soon...
That's why i started the thread. If you read a little furter you would find out that my aim is to get the feedback from the people, who saw the game, because the players can't be jugded only by statistics (written literaly).

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:20 pm
Why not #32 you read migya's reviews :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:26 pm
O.G. broe wrote:Why not #32 you read migya's reviews :mrgreen:

OUCH.

broe 1, migya 0.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:08 pm
I wasnt there but I watched the game on nba league pass and I think Sjax and AL both ran out of gas... Their energy alone along with their emotions was something that was not mentioned... You can tell that the crowd and the warriors were motivated. I don't blame the ref for the lost but they sure did play a role.

I tell u this... AL missed alot of shots but some if not most where penetrating and getting blocked... I rather him take it strong than to see Murphy pop out for a jumper ANYDAY!!!

As for Jackson... he already did something that Dunleavey could have never done... PLAY WITH EMOTION!!!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball