Al lost $$$$

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:16 am
It was rumored that Mully offered AL a big contract earlier this year that he turned down just to play for Indy. If that's true, he lost millions with the end result being the same.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:46 am
Yeah, although it wasn't exactly like that. Mullin offered him more money, but we're over the cap, so the W's and the Hawks had to agree on a sign-and-trade for that to work. As Atlanta didn't want any of our contracts back, Al was "forced" to sign with Indiana for less money.

It's not that Al rejected the offer... it's that Atlanta and the W's couldn't agree on the sign-and-trade. He didn't have any other option.
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:55 am
i am thinking that al and his agent were fine with the deal because of the new rule/salary cap situation or whatever it is that is coming up in a few years (maybe someone can help me out on this one). the same reason lebron and wade signed short term contracts. i am just speculating, but i am sure they at least thought about that.
Go Colts!!!!!!! Superbowl Champs!!!!!!!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:46 pm
my avatar says it all. welcome to the dubs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:49 am
David Dunn wrote:i am thinking that al and his agent were fine with the deal because of the new rule/salary cap situation or whatever it is that is coming up in a few years (maybe someone can help me out on this one). the same reason lebron and wade signed short term contracts. i am just speculating, but i am sure they at least thought about that.

I don't know. It's much more riskier for Al than those two. I mean, he's older than them, and not as big a star... he should take all the money available now.

At least the last year of his contract is a player option...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:26 am
Al said on an interview with KNBR that Golden State was his first choice this past summer. He really wanted to play here. The problem was, Billy Knight wasn't going to take any players back for him (which was all Mullin had to offer, really).

Harrington said that Mully did everything he could to get a deal done, but the Hawks were just trying to cash out.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to Warriors Basketball