Pacers/Warriors Trade... Best Move Yet By Mullin?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

How would you rate Chris Mullin's latest trade?

Excellent; one of his best moves yet.
26
76%
Decent... I'm just glad we lost Dunleavy and Murphy.
8
24%
Average. Nothing special.
0
No votes
Horrible!!! Diogu's gonna blow up on the Pacers!!!
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 34

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:36 pm
uptempo wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:mullin has done a great job as far as trades. getting baron for virtually nothing, now getting rid of bench players for starters. cant knock that. i think he realizes his mistakes now, and im glad nelson is here to help him realize that. i think the warriors are going to explode, especially when we get completely healthy!

davis/jasikevicious/ellis
richardson/ellis/azubuike
jackson/pietrus/azubuike
harrington/barnes/pietrus
biedrins/harrington/foyle


Nelson said this afternoon on KNBR that he is going to start Jackson at the shooting guard spot and Harrington at the power forward spot this Saturday night.


Baron
Jackson
Barnes (unless Pietrus comes back)
Harrington
Biedrins

I can't wait to see their debut Saturday. The Cavs better be ready! All hail The Great Chris Mullin! :D
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:41 am
#32 wrote:All those Mullin-haters just lost 90% of their ammunition. In fact, I can't imagine (other than Foyle still being here) one thing that anyone can complain about with Mullin now.


Image <------- Hail Mullin. :D

Yep. I certainly have no quarrels with him anymore. My criticism was based on the awful and undeserved contracts he awarded to Dun, Murph, Fish and Foyle, and picking Monty as the head coach, but now that he has traded (or fired, in Monty's case) them, I give Mully my full support. Foyle is the least of our problems. In fact, I (almost) like having him on the team. It's nice to have a player with the team for his full career.

All Star
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:43 pm
Location: Union City/Torrance, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:54 pm
TMC wrote:In fact, I (almost) like having him (Foyle)on the team. It's nice to have a player with the team for his full career.


Remember that Foyle is now in elite company with KG and Kobe........ *sigh*
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:27 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:All those Mullin-haters just lost 90% of their ammunition. In fact, I can't imagine (other than Foyle still being here) one thing that anyone can complain about with Mullin now.


Image <------- Hail Mullin. :D

Yep. I certainly have no quarrels with him anymore. My criticism was based on the awful and undeserved contracts he awarded to Dun, Murph, Fish and Foyle, and picking Monty as the head coach, but now that he has traded (or fired, in Monty's case) them, I give Mully my full support. Foyle is the least of our problems. In fact, I (almost) like having him on the team. It's nice to have a player with the team for his full career.


Foyle is the poor (read: very poor) man's version of Alton Lister.

Mullin had no choice but to make the deal with Indiana; it saved his job. Nelson was not going to let up on the criticism of DunMurphy and the media was surely going to put Mullin under serious scrutiny.

This team is now built for high velocity basketball. The pieces are very versatile and should get this team into the playoffs.

Watch Stephen Jackson light it up on this team. Paired with Davis in the backcourt (Nelson said that he was planning on doing this) and combined with Pietrus, Harrington, and Biedrens, the Warriors have all of a sudden gone from playing small ball to athletic and long ball.

Go Warriors!

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:33 pm
I wouldn't give Mullin too much credit for ridding both Dunleavy and Murphy. Murphy has been on the trading block since Nellie took over as the coach, and Dunleavy would of been gone in this upcoming off-season because of the base year contract issue. Fortunately, Jackson acted like an idiot and voila, we got more athletic and dumped our horrific front court duo of Dunleavy and Murphy. I thought the reason Mullin signed all of these hacks, was to have enough salary flexibility to land a superstar, not to get a middle of the road player like Harrington and a cancer like Jackson. Of all our big contracts, only Dunleavy was producing (inconsistently as always) and I blame most of our problems on our shoot first point guards (Ellis and BD) that don't get the rest of the team involved with horrific shot selection. Nellie is a fine coach, but I still don't like the roster. The Lakers are loaded in the front court (Odem, Kwame, Andrew, Luke, Cook, Vlade) ... the Suns have three superstars (Nash, Amare, Matrix) and we have Biedrins, Harrington, Barnes and two jump shooters for point guards. I guess I am tired of seeing the Warriors as a jump shooting /iso team when our Pacific foes have mastered the art of ball movement, pick and rolls and back door cuts.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:11 am
outstanding - if someone had told anyone on this board 2 years ago that Mullin would move Claxton for BD, unload Fisher, and get Harrington/Jackson for the DungMurphy, who would have believed it. Those who are bitching I don't believe would be satisfied by much of anything he did...great job.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:44 am
I believe we should try and unload Jackson. Minutes will surely be a problem when Jrich returns and we'll certainly need a PF. I'll take SJax for now so long he keeps his off the court problems from becoming a distraction. Both Harrington and SJax may command for the ball more as they did at Indy, but that shouldn't be a problem so long everything pans out well.

This trade was great for both teams. The Pacers were looking to unload Jackson since that off the court issue. You may say it was a bad pickup for the Pacers, but in the long run, they have a shot at trading for a star. O'Neal better be ready though, he's going to carry the load. This trade also helps the Warriors try and extend both Monta and Biedrins contracts. This also helps Mully decide whether or not they should keep MP. Less minutes, lower numbers, lower contract.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I believe we should try and unload Jackson. Minutes will surely be a problem when Jrich returns and we'll certainly need a PF. I'll take SJax for now so long he keeps his off the court problems from becoming a distraction. Both Harrington and SJax may command for the ball more as they did at Indy, but that shouldn't be a problem so long everything pans out well.


I wouldn't make a move now (well, maybe MP for a PF... if there's someone interesting in the trading block, but that's all). Jackson was an extremely productive player for the Hawks and Spurs... He can be that player again. Also, he's a perfect fit for Nellie (and a much needed piece with J-Rich out). I've heard him in an interview and he sounded desperate to leave Indiana. I've got my doubts about him, but let's wait and see what happens before moving him.

All Star
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 am
dareedle wrote:I wouldn't give Mullin too much credit for ridding both Dunleavy and Murphy. Murphy has been on the trading block since Nellie took over as the coach, and Dunleavy would of been gone in this upcoming off-season because of the base year contract issue. Fortunately, Jackson acted like an idiot and voila, we got more athletic and dumped our horrific front court duo of Dunleavy and Murphy. I thought the reason Mullin signed all of these hacks, was to have enough salary flexibility to land a superstar, not to get a middle of the road player like Harrington and a cancer like Jackson. Of all our big contracts, only Dunleavy was producing (inconsistently as always) and I blame most of our problems on our shoot first point guards (Ellis and BD) that don't get the rest of the team involved with horrific shot selection. Nellie is a fine coach, but I still don't like the roster. The Lakers are loaded in the front court (Odem, Kwame, Andrew, Luke, Cook, Vlade) ... the Suns have three superstars (Nash, Amare, Matrix) and we have Biedrins, Harrington, Barnes and two jump shooters for point guards. I guess I am tired of seeing the Warriors as a jump shooting /iso team when our Pacific foes have mastered the art of ball movement, pick and rolls and back door cuts.


Your analysis has some merit; however, the one thing that I will agree 100% with you on is that the West is loaded.

The Warrior roster is much better today than it was before the trade. Our "shoot first point guards" are given the green light by Nelson (think of Tim Hardaway when he was with GS; he, too, was a "shoot first" point guard. Only when he went to play in Miami for Pat Riley did Hardaway adjust his game to become more conventional) to shoot whenever they have the open look.

Harrington is a much better player than Murphy.

Jackson is a much better player than Dunleavy.

The Euro (Nelson calls him Cabbage) is a better player much better than Keith McLeod.

Josh Powell is athletic and can run the floor and will fit in with Nelson's team better than Ike.

A lineup and rotation of Baron, Jackson, Pietrus, Harrington, and Biedrens with Monta, Barnes, Cabbage, and Powell will be much more competitive than if Dunleavy and Murphy were in the mix. Monta can spell Jackson; Cabbage can spell Baron; Barnes can spell Pietrus; Harrington can slide over to center; Powell and Jackson can slide over to the small forward position.

And, yes, I agree with you about the Lakers and Suns being loaded.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:18 am
uptempo wrote:
dareedle wrote:The Lakers are loaded in the front court (Odem, Kwame, Andrew, Luke, Cook, Vlade) ...


And, yes, I agree with you about the Lakers and Suns being loaded.


I was with you both on most points... but the Lakers loaded?. On other threads in which we have talked about them, I said that I'd only keep Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Farmar (these two for the future) as the only NBA worthy players of that roster.

More than being loaded, I consider a miracle what Jackson is doing with that team.

All Star
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:52 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
dareedle wrote:The Lakers are loaded in the front court (Odem, Kwame, Andrew, Luke, Cook, Vlade) ...


And, yes, I agree with you about the Lakers and Suns being loaded.


I was with you both on most points... but the Lakers loaded?. On other threads in which we have talked about them, I said that I'd only keep Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Farmar (these two for the future) as the only NBA worthy players of that roster.

More than being loaded, I consider a miracle what Jackson is doing with that team.


OK, I see your point. Perhaps "loaded" and Kwame Brown do not belong in the same sentence. Also, Phil Jackson is doing an amazing job with that team. It does help to have a go to superstar like Kobe (a guy drafted AFTER Todd Fuller).

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:25 pm
Fortunately, BD now has gunners to stop destroying the team with his horrific jump shots. Kobe has stepped up his game mostly because of the humiliation of watching Shaq win a NBA championship. The Lakers are playing great because when Kobe shares the ball, he makes his fellow stiffs look like all-stars (Cook, Smush, Walton). BD has the talent to lead the Warriors to the playoffs and take a good shot at an aging Spurs team if he reigns in his outside shot and dominates in the paint. For us to even sniff the playoffs we need to improve in several categories. 1. Defense (losing Murphy) should help big time .. are his buddy Dun wasn't getting enough minutes to be exposed. 2. Assists (really up to BD, but I like Nellie I see Ellis as a liability rather than a benefit) 3. Rebounding (Harrington, J-Rich if healthy and SJax should help us play more man-man which could lead to more defensive rebounds 4. Points in the paint (Harrington should help now, not later like Diogu or OB, the key is still Baron driving and dinking and not the (Barnes, Ellis, BD outside brick show.) 5. 4th Quarter finishes (more players that can create means we can have a little bit more of inside out approach with Harrington on the blocks, maybe J-Rich or S-Jax posting a 2 guard and once again a fresher BD who will drive instead of settling for a time clock expiring brick. Realistically, we went from a lottery team with another project pick to the 10th best team in the Pacific. On the bright side, loading a team with CBAers and impending free agents (Barnes, Pietrus) means we will get some serious hustle and may able to sneak up on a team with no depth (Minny, Houston, Denver).

Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:50 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 pm
Pointing fingers
Before the trade, Chris Mullin expressed his "disappointment" with his expensive front line of Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy. As though Mullin had nothing to do with signing them to such outlandish contracts. (To say nothing about the fortune Mullin handed to Adonal Foyle.)

In Mullin's world, the fact that both Murphy and Dunleavy don't have the wherewithal to play well in the madcap offense promulgated by Don Nelson, is all their fault.

It's the same old NBA, where those responsible always blame somebody else when their plans go haywire.

All Star
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:20 pm
Golden wrote:Pointing fingers
Before the trade, Chris Mullin expressed his "disappointment" with his expensive front line of Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy. As though Mullin had nothing to do with signing them to such outlandish contracts. (To say nothing about the fortune Mullin handed to Adonal Foyle.)

In Mullin's world, the fact that both Murphy and Dunleavy don't have the wherewithal to play well in the madcap offense promulgated by Don Nelson, is all their fault.

It's the same old NBA, where those responsible always blame somebody else when their plans go haywire.


Yes, Mullin has been quite good at not taking responsibility for his actions. He was coddled throughout his career. Even back to his college years, he was given College Player of the Year, eventhough Patrick Ewing was the much better player during their senior seasons in college.

Mullin has made big mistakes, some big enough to get most front office guys fired, however, he did pull the rabbit out of his hat with the trade with Indiana. The cayalyst of this trade was probably Nelson's constant public criticism of DunMurphy; however, Mullin did pull the trigger.

Mullin made a correction of two of his horrible mistakes (the others were letting Musselman go and bringing in Monty, and signing Foyle to the big contract).

BTW, the Oracle is rocking tonight.

For all of you Jackson haters, this kid can play ball!

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:27 pm
Jackson played well, and Harrington showed why we were lucky to unload two terrible contracts. With the Clips finally playing well and pounding the ball inside, and our ability to throw away fourth quarter leads, we should say goodbye to our season and start scouting college players and Euros for our next lottery pick. This team reminds me of the Jamison/Hughes era of great athletes with no basketball IQ which is why we took Dunleavy with the third pick. The circle of NBADL will continue with the Warriors supplying talent to the rest of the league (best wishes to Pietrus and Barnes and their fat contracts at years end).
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron