Suprise, suprise...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 pm
Now that Dumbleavy and Murph are gone, we're all going to be focusing on the past blockbuster deal with the Pacers. But when I think beyond those headliners, I think the depth. And one particular player I absolutely love since his arrival is the suprise pickup from the Development League... Kelenna Azubuike. Since being called up, he's done nothing more but contribute well every night. He isn't the greatest defender, but after watching him, he knows how to man up on a player. I have no doubts about his offensive tendencies. He slashes to the whole rather than consistantly pulling up for a jumper and can shoot from the charity stripe well. I don't know how his future will look like with the Warriors in the terms of whether he'll be resigned or not, but this kid was a stolen product from the NBADL.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:00 pm
Yea I like Azubuike alot. I cant really see him getting much minutes at the SG or SF. Hes now behind Monta, SJax and Pietrus.
Lets say monta continues to start (which i think he should) and SJax starts at SF. I see Pietrus playing 30 minutes with Azu getting scraps.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:18 pm
tradedunleavy wrote:Yea I like Azubuike alot. I cant really see him getting much minutes at the SG or SF. Hes now behind Monta, SJax and Pietrus.
Lets say monta continues to start (which i think he should) and SJax starts at SF. I see Pietrus playing 30 minutes with Azu getting scraps.

It's true... and Azu will see even less time when J-Rich comes back...

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:58 pm
Plug in any athletic 6'5 - 6'7 shooting guard/small forward who is not afraid to shoot the ball and he will fit in a Don Nelson coached team.

Nelson loves guys like this!
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Let's see how well he does when other teams actually have a scouting report on him. He needs to face some adversity and show he can handle it before we start feeling sorry for the guy about playing time. Monta handled it really well. If Azubuike can handle it and get through it, it'll be easier to let Pietrus walk in the off-season. Plus, I think Stephen Jackson will be shopped around. At least I hope he will be shopped.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 am
I'm also surprised by how well Azukfjdslke... Sambucca is playing, but his minutes are going to dive soon. He'll stay with the team for the rest of the season, but he's going to be the 11th or 12th player.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:34 am
I say trade Pietrus. Kelenna has much better range w/ 3pt. Pietrus is relegated to the sideline shot only.
I dunk like Tolbert

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:27 am
flaaron wrote:I say trade Pietrus. Kelenna has much better range w/ 3pt. Pietrus is relegated to the sideline shot only.

Pietrus is an interesting player. I am guessing he will command a decent amount of money in free agency this summer and while he does bring something to the Warriors, I do not think he is going to deserve the money some team will give him this summer. In other words, do not resign him.

If a team wants to make a deal for him, fine. But, I do not want to see the Warriors ties themselves up to a long contract of the player(s) who come to Golden State in return.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:35 am
ChicagoTom wrote:
flaaron wrote:I say trade Pietrus. Kelenna has much better range w/ 3pt. Pietrus is relegated to the sideline shot only.

Pietrus is an interesting player. I am guessing he will command a decent amount of money in free agency this summer and while he does bring something to the Warriors, I do not think he is going to deserve the money some team will give him this summer. In other words, do not resign him.

If a team wants to make a deal for him, fine. But, I do not want to see the Warriors ties themselves up to a long contract of the player(s) who come to Golden State in return.

The same goes with Barnes. I think he's pretty much peaked and definitely should not be signed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:40 am
jsw548 wrote:The same goes with Barnes. I think he's pretty much peaked and definitely should not be signed.

It's a different situation, tho. We cannot match offers above the mid level exception for Barnes, while we can for Pietrus.

I don't know if I do it for the latter, tho. The mid-level is, approximately, his market value right now. I think I'd pass... We'd better sign Monta long term with that money.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:47 am
Pietrus is an exciting, athletic player, but he is now in his 4th year, getting starter minutes, and that is usually when you have a very good idea of what a player can do. I think he is probably around the average for his position, good defender, great finisher, streaky 3 shooter, regressed as a foul shooter, no handles to speak of. I wouldn't spend a lot to keep him. Too early to tell on Azuibuke. Barnes, again, he is not a guy who can or should have to put up 20 points on a nightly basis. He plays smart and hard and versatile, but is best suited to being a backup who gets good minutes.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:33 pm
It is early to tell. But if all you do is watch Azzy's feet, he is much more fundamentally sound than Pietrus. His Bball IQ seems much better. Granted Pietrus is exciting and brings great energy, but his mistakes cancel it out. I really think Azubuike can learn quickly and become somewhat special (at least on this Nelly team). We shall see...
I dunk like Tolbert
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 am
uptempo wrote:Plug in any athletic 6'5 - 6'7 shooting guard/small forward who is not afraid to shoot the ball and he will fit in a Don Nelson coached team.

Nelson loves guys like this!

This guy has been a pleasant surprise and though he won't play much when everyone is healthy, he has shown that he can produce

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:11 pm
Nelson came boiling off the bench screaming at him about I think missing a defensive assignment when that "22" yr old superstar easily scored.

He didn't play anymore after that.

Like the Saints aren't now.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm
Saw that. Let's hope Bukie's not in the same doghouse that Ike was in...
I dunk like Tolbert
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball