BIG TRADE! Bye-bye Murphy. Bye-bye Dunleavy.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 pm
Overall I like this trade alot. I was in school when I saw it on ESPN.com and I was like WOW! THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE! But I think Harrington will change us dramatically, Jackson if he stays out of trouble, will provide us with depth. And Jsdasfdakla will help us, hes basically the better Euro version of Dunleavy. And I dont know much about Powell, if someone knows anything that would be great. The only thing that I might worry about is Diogu. I really liked Diogu and I will surely miss him. When playing, he was a beast. He has great potential and I hope this doesn't become the "Ike Diogu Trade"

But when Richardson and Pietrus comes back this team will absolutely look and play like a playoff team. We sealed up all of our holes. I love the lineup with everyone healthy.

Davis/Jsuhgsjkhkj
Richardson/Monta
Jackson?/Pietrus
Harrington
Biedrins

That looks like a playoff team to me. Way to go Mully, you pulled a good one off today.
Image

Role Player
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:58 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:46 pm
you gotta make sacrifices to ensure you get rid of the stinky ****
Image

Role Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Fremont
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:51 pm
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank god murphy and dung are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But IKE! I guess we had to give something up. I doubt Ike gets any more PT on Indy though because he and JO play the same position. If carlisle was smart he would move oneil to the 5 and play ike at the 4. Im hyped about Al harrington even though he has about the same sized contract as dun. Steven jackson... i donno the guy isnt a very good shooter for a small forward but hes definataly an upgrade.
So our depth chart looks like

PG Baron/Sarunas
SG Monta/Azibuke
SF Jackson/MP ? could be other way around i dont know
PF Harrington/ Barnes
C AB/Foyle?

And guess what... I was just reading hollingers analysis on the trade and he thinks Ike is the best player to be traded. God I hope hes wrong... If he becomes a savage like many of us believe he will i might have to go shoot mullin and nelly in the face.

Role Player
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:55 pm
I was just watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN and every one of the guys on each show said the trade benefited the Pacers. I am not sure their individual reasons behind it.

They all kept saying how smart Bird and Donnie Walsh are for getting rid of a troublemaker like Stephen Jackson. I am not fond of Jackson as I have voiced earlier, but I would rather have him than the higher and longer contracts on Dunleavy and Murphy.

Also, a quick opinion about the national sports media....I get the feeling that the likes of Mike Wilbon, JA Adande, Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, Bob Ryan and Tony Kornheiser do not even watch the NBA or have much interest in the league at all. Therefore, I am not even sure why these shows waste time on topics where the hosts and guests have no clue what they are talking about.

I mean when was the last time one of these guys watched the Warriors? My guess is that none of them have seen one game this season. There are very few members of the sports media I trust that at least follows the games. Bill Simmons at ESPN is one of the few that follows the games from not just his beloved Celtics, but the Clippers, Suns and other teams as well.

Sports media figures need to follow all major sports if they want to make "professional" comments about trades such as today's. If they do not watch the games, they should just shut up.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:28 pm
Location: Hayward, CA
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:02 pm
I forgot to mention this in my first post... This is crazy!!!

Yesterday I was at work and glanced at the digital clock on my computer and it read "11:11 AM"

Many of you may know that if you see that time you make a wish. You wanna know what my wish was? It was that Chris Mullin traded away Mike Dunleavy and/or Troy Murphy before the trade deadline!

HOLY SH-T IT WORKED AND IN JUST A DAY!!! I'M NOT BULL SH-TTIN' HERE EITHER. SOME WISHES DO COME TRUE!!!

This was just a petty wish, but it came true!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Image

Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: campaigning w/ the warrior girls
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:16 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:I was just watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN and every one of the guys on each show said the trade benefited the Pacers. I am not sure their individual reasons behind it.

They all kept saying how smart Bird and Donnie Walsh are for getting rid of a troublemaker like Stephen Jackson. I am not fond of Jackson as I have voiced earlier, but I would rather have him than the higher and longer contracts on Dunleavy and Murphy.

Also, a quick opinion about the national sports media....I get the feeling that the likes of Mike Wilbon, JA Adande, Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, Bob Ryan and Tony Kornheiser do not even watch the NBA or have much interest in the league at all. Therefore, I am not even sure why these shows waste time on topics where the hosts and guests have no clue what they are talking about.

I mean when was the last time one of these guys watched the Warriors? My guess is that none of them have seen one game this season. There are very few members of the sports media I trust that at least follows the games. Bill Simmons at ESPN is one of the few that follows the games from not just his beloved Celtics, but the Clippers, Suns and other teams as well.

Sports media figures need to follow all major sports if they want to make "professional" comments about trades such as today's. If they do not watch the games, they should just shut up.


i was watching earlier too..well said!

#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:Looks good on paper for us, but there are several factors to ponder:

1.- We get no cap relief. We traded two bad contracts for two bad contracts (although Harrington and Jackson will probably contribute more).

2.- The rest of the trade is one bum for another (McLeod for Powell) and Ike (now we have an explanation as to why he didn't play) for Saras... which, even tho I like Saras, is a coup for Indy.

Well, sure, as far as promising youngsters, we got the shaft.

But Chris Mullin just took those two big contracts that a couple underachievers had and put them on productive players. It's like trading Adonal Foyle for Nazr Mohammed. Yes, it's a big contract... but its the same size as the one we were previously paying to those streaky suckers.

Murphy and Dunleavy for Harrinton and Jackson is an absolute steal (and, really, that was the meat of the trade). Diogu will be a good player, but he won't start in Indiana either. Harring and Jackson round out Golden State's starting lineup into a near-all-star looking cast (when healthy):

PG - Baron Davis / Sarunas Jasikevicius
SG - Jason Richardson / Monta Ellis
SF - Stephen Jackson / Mickael Pietrus / Matt Barnes
PF - Al Harrington / Josh Powell
C - Andris Biedrins / Adonal Foyle

Dude, I'm salivating just LOOKING at that. The guys I put in bold can play multiple positions, so they'll get a lotta tick, no matter what. What an insanely versatile lineup!


nice

Rookie
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:18 pm
Location: Fremont
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:19 pm
im getting chills down my spine thinkin about our future lineup all healthy. simply gorgeous \:D/
Warriors are BAAAALLLLIINN!
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:20 pm
Josh Jamison wrote:Yesterday I was at work and glanced at the digital clock on my computer and it read "11:11 AM"

Wow, I never knew that you were supposed to wish at that time. I always make sure that I am looking at a digital clock when it is 11:11:11 and never wished. I bet I have some queued up.......
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:50 pm
we all agreed that to ship away either murph or dun,we were gonna need to throw in a young player.To ship em both?Excellent move

sad to see ike go,he has a huge future in this league,but love this trade!
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm
d1mex wrote:Overall I like this trade alot. I was in school when I saw it on ESPN.com and I was like WOW! THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE! But I think Harrington will change us dramatically, Jackson if he stays out of trouble, will provide us with depth. And Jsdasfdakla will help us, hes basically the better Euro version of Dunleavy. And I dont know much about Powell, if someone knows anything that would be great. The only thing that I might worry about is Diogu. I really liked Diogu and I will surely miss him. When playing, he was a beast. He has great potential and I hope this doesn't become the "Ike Diogu Trade"

But when Richardson and Pietrus comes back this team will absolutely look and play like a playoff team. We sealed up all of our holes. I love the lineup with everyone healthy.

Davis/Jsuhgsjkhkj
Richardson/Monta
Jackson?/Pietrus
Harrington
Biedrins

That looks like a playoff team to me. Way to go Mully, you pulled a good one off today.

I agree. Ike is a great loss, but he was NOT going to be played by Nelson, and he has been the chip all along that other teams have wanted. That's why we didn't get Artest. And he will be behind O"Neal, unless they move O'Neal to the 5 and Ike to the 4. I guarantee Ike will hurt us, but the choice was keep him on the bench with a coach who disliked him or move him for some value. If the price of a Harrington/Jackson for DungMurphy swap was Ike, it was worth it, even though I do believe that Ike will do damage in this league and will probably always reserve a special place in his heart for any Don Nelson-coached team. Overall, a great day for the Ws.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:11 pm
Lots of people are saying that there is no real cap relief, just an exchange of players neither team wanted.

Nelson, on KNBR, was agreeing with the hosts that the cap relief was a relief and that the young players could now be signed. So, at some level it sounds like maybe there was a big salary adjustment.

I am one of the few people here who was not a real Ike fan; seemed like just an ok player to me. If that assesment is even partially true it makes the deal even better.

Now, trade the crazy guy before something happens.

Rookie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Fremont, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:15 pm
im glad to see that baron is happy about the trade.. He is great friends w/ Al harrington and Stephen Jackson.. Here is a quote from the contra costa times...

Wow," point guard Baron Davis said. "I mean, I was shocked. I was shocked at how many players were gone and how many were coming. I think it's a great trade for both teams. There's a lot of talent involved in that trade, a lot good players and pieces from both ends.

"I think all the players were pretty much in similar positions to where both teams felt like there needed to be a change."

Davis lives in Las Vegas during the offseason with Harrington and had been the Harrington's biggest champion as the Warriors pursued him over the summer.

"It's great," Davis said. "I mean, Al is like my brother. We're like brothers, for real. As well as Stephen Jackson. They're both like brothers to me, guys I work out with over the summer, guys I've been knowing since high school. They're very talented and versatile. I think it's something that we need. They're definitely going to make us a better team."

[quote][/quote]

This was a great trade for the warriors.. I still can't believe we got rid of DUNLEAVY AND MURPHY!! :)
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 737
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:18 am
Location: San Francisco (born and raised)
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:30 pm
hubie brown likes the trade from :bday: the warriors standpoint.
-Gametime ESPN NEWS
One F'ing year and thats it. F*ck!
Image
http://www.myspace.com/djheebee

Rookie
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:33 pm
Im glad the W's were able to get a deal done. Dunleavy and Murph were not going to help us get to the playoffs. Two years with Baron and nothing had changed.

To dump there contracts is amazing. To get Baron's best friend is amazing. Can't wait to see the tandem working together.

And on my commute home, I heard Mullin say that they would now have cap room for both Monta and AB. This is the most important part of the trade in my mind. :D

Go Warriors!!!

Trolloc

All Star
Posts: 2759
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:55 pm
The best thing about this trade is that the roster is now loaded with players whom Nelson can work with in his uptempo style of offense. Harrington is definitely an upgrade at power forward, whether it be Ike, Murphy or Dunleavy. Jackson can play the 2, the 3, and in Nelson's offense even the 4. He can run the floor, play tenacious defense, and gives the team a tougher presence than Dunleavy. The Euro, Sarunas Jasikevicius, will ensure that Davis has a legitimate backup. I see Josh Powell fitting in and getting time with this team, too; he is fast, athletic, and can play multiple positions as a front court player.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], J1000 and 1 guest