Nelson on KNBR

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:14 am
a lot of good observations here. I agree that Murphy has undergone a truly odd transformation from a tough, inside bruiser to a soft, outside player...very odd. Didn't catch Bruce, but it is refreshing to hear someone on KNBR telling the truth about Dung and Murphy...I agree, Carlgo, it is a really destructive path to run down your employees. Fear-based management (as just about any good manager will tell you) is an ineffective way to manage, and athletes are no different. And you are right, 32, we will never know vis-a-vis Nelson, but I have my suspicions since it does, as Carlgo and Uptempo said, seem very familiar. I just sent the link to a good friend of mine who is very active in the recovery community. I am curious what she'll make of it...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:03 am
Well Murph & Dun Jr Responded by stepping up, playing hard and were contributing factors :!: :!: Good Job Nellie.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:11 am
All this AAA talk is wack and being blown out of proportion :banghead: So there's a voice analysis investigation underway :roll:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 am
O.G. broe wrote:All this AAA talk is wack and being blown out of proportion :banghead: So there's a voice analysis investigation underway :roll:

Yes, and an analysis of everything every poster writes to see if anyone here is mental. Except me, of course.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:33 am
O.G. broe wrote:Well Murph & Dun Jr Responded by stepping up, playing hard and were contributing factors :!: :!: Good Job Nellie.

Dunleavy looked especially aggressive on both ends of the floor. There was no hesitation in his shot, and he also attacked the basket for both points and rebounds.

I used to see him as a possible Tom Chambers type-of player; but, now, with this Nelson style of offense, it would make more sense for Dunleavy to be more like a Scottie Pippen type-of player.

Murphy still looks like he has some rust; however, he was effective. I would love to see the old Murphy (read: aggressive enforcer type) back on this team.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 am
O.G. broe wrote:All this AAA talk is wack and being blown out of proportion :banghead: So there's a voice analysis investigation underway :roll:

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Nelson did come onto KRON drunk and acted like a buffoon to the embarrassment of the organization. People on the board have pointed out how fear based management does not work; yet, he, Nelson calls out his players on the radio (I saw this as more old school rather than fear based management, but that's just my opinion). He, Nelson, is brilliant, yet, he has never won a championship and tends to self-destruct. Why is that? Mullin, a recovering alcoholic/addict, may feel more comfortable bringing in a guy with an "issue" in order to help cover up his own inadequacies.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:40 am
coltraning wrote:I agree that Murphy has undergone a truly odd transformation from a tough, inside bruiser to a soft, outside player...very odd..

Glad you brought that up. I remember Murphy when he first came up. He was a tough and effective player, actually almost a star in many respects. I thought of him as a great pick for the Ws.

Now he is plodding up and down the court, really so much slower in both speed and quickness.

Either he has a medical problem, seriously, or he is unsure. I have found that athletes who have a clear idea of what is going on are both faster and quicker than those that don't.

Apply that thought to the various Ws and see if you come to the same conclusion.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 am
carlgo wrote:
coltraning wrote:I agree that Murphy has undergone a truly odd transformation from a tough, inside bruiser to a soft, outside player...very odd..

Glad you brought that up. I remember Murphy when he first came up. He was a tough and effective player, actually almost a star in many respects. I thought of him as a great pick for the Ws.

Now he is plodding up and down the court, really so much slower in both speed and quickness.

Either he has a medical problem, seriously, or he is unsure. I have found that athletes who have a clear idea of what is going on are both faster and quicker than those that don't.

Apply that thought to the various Ws and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Early during his tenure with the Warriors, Murphy was a borderline dunking and trash talking psycho, and gave the team an uplift in both energy and attitude. It's like he has taken on the docile attributes of Foyle and negatively transformed his game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:16 pm
uptempo wrote:Murphy still looks like he has some rust; however, he was effective. I would love to see the old Murphy (read: aggressive enforcer type) back on this team.

Maybe I'm seeing what I wanna see; but has Murphy been playing the block more since the Miami Heat game? The past 2 games, I've seen him driving a helluva lot more (he even tossed up a baby hook against the Clips).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:31 pm
#32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:Murphy still looks like he has some rust; however, he was effective. I would love to see the old Murphy (read: aggressive enforcer type) back on this team.

Maybe I'm seeing what I wanna see; but has Murphy been playing the block more since the Miami Heat game? The past 2 games, I've seen him driving a helluva lot more (he even tossed up a baby hook against the Clips).

Yes, I see it, too.

He used to also have a face up move where he would go strong to the basket and dunk or get to the foul line. Murphy has the talent to play this game. Where is the heart and attitude?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:14 am
#32 wrote:

Yeah, but that's the only way he'll get minutes again. Nellie has proven that he's not going to play the old Murph...

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 am
Even with the slurred speech (probably from a few too many beers), we fans have to love Don Nelson. The man calls and says things that we fans know to be true, but that the mainstream Bay Area media seems afraid to address about this team.

Nelson is a gamesman (maybe the best) and will force Mullin to address the roster deficiencies sooner rather than later. Remember, Don Nelson is the guy who came to Golden State in the 1980s as GM and blew up a George Karl playoff team by trading away Sleepy Floyd and Purvis Short after the season had already begun in order to ensure that Karl would have a losing record so that Nelson could take over the coaching job. He also did the same thing to Jim Clemons in Dallas by trading away Jason Kidd, the cornerstone of Clemons's team.

Mullin has no idea what he has gotten himself into by bringing in Nelson. If anything, Nelson will force the team to make changes, which is good.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm
uptempo wrote: He also did the same thing to Jim Clemons in Dallas by trading away Jason Kidd, the cornerstone of Clemons's team.

Kidd was traded before Nelson was hired in Dallas. I don't know if anything else in your post was true, but the part I quoted is certainly not.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball