Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 pm
the link is now up on KNBR

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 pm
uptempo wrote:Nelson did not sugar coat anything.

We fans were given an honest evalution of this team, and it sure was not pretty. Other than Baron and the injured Richardson, Nelson does not have any faith nor respect for the rest of the team. Murphy, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Foyle, Ike were all given some brutal, but also honest, evaluations.

i dont agree with pietrus, he said pietrus has been really good all year, but its when we go through scoring slumps and it forces him to do things he isnt as good at because he has to, when he fails. when the team is clicking on all fronts that he is at his best. aka shooting the 3 from the corner, perimeter defending and occasional drive. nelson has mentioned he doesnt know how to drive well, as half the time he runs over defenders, causing an offensive foul. but he says he is still young, and perhaps still has time to learn the nuances...
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:40 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:

We fans were given an honest evalution of this team, and it sure was not pretty. Other than Baron and the injured Richardson, Nelson does not have any faith nor respect for the rest of the team. Murphy, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Foyle, Ike were all given some brutal, but also honest, evaluations.

i dont agree with pietrus, he said pietrus has been really good all year, but its when we go through scoring slumps and it forces him to do things he isnt as good at because he has to, when he fails. when the team is clicking on all fronts that he is at his best. aka shooting the 3 from the corner, perimeter defending and occasional drive. nelson has mentioned he doesnt know how to drive well, as half the time he runs over defenders, causing an offensive foul. but he says he is still young, and perhaps still has time to learn the nuances...

If dun and/or Murphy are traded for expirers, Pietrus will be very important because he will have to play SF and sometimes PF. He has to stick to playing the defense otherwise he is nothing special

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:00 am
migya wrote:

If dun and/or Murphy are traded for expirers, Pietrus will be very important because he will have to play SF and sometimes PF. He has to stick to playing the defense otherwise he is nothing special

agreed, pietrus is certainly a defensive first player, at least he should be, and his 3 point shooting should be sugar on top. if we can get rid of murphy i think we'll be in good shape, and maybe next trading deadline get rid of dunleavy..
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:06 am
migya wrote:
CjR wrote:I would have liked to see us 100% and see what our record would have been like.

You know what, many other teams have had injuries this season so it is not just us

True, but we might as well be in the level of New Orleans the way we’re fallin’—and we need a break in the worst way more than any other team in the NBA (something about a losing streak).

By the way, two more down: Pietrus and Foyle
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 am
migya wrote:

agreed, pietrus is certainly a defensive first player, at least he should be, and his 3 point shooting should be sugar on top. if we can get rid of murphy i think we'll be in good shape, and maybe next trading deadline get rid of dunleavy..

If Mullin can somehow get rid of both Murphy and dun by this offseason, Barnes could be a factor as well as he could be another player that gets alot more time

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:22 am
CjR wrote:
migya wrote:
CjR wrote:I would have liked to see us 100% and see what our record would have been like.

You know what, many other teams have had injuries this season so it is not just us

True, but we might as well be in the level of New Orleans the way we’re fallin’—and we need a break in the worst way more than any other team in the NBA (something about a losing streak).

By the way, two more down: Pietrus and Foyle

Team tragic like 13 years ago

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:45 am
migya wrote: If Mullin can somehow get rid of both Murphy and dun by this offseason...

NO! NO! NO! By Monday is good!

As for the next game, the Clips won’t be a cake-walk. Your Alien is back and might just prod us.

I’m really concerned about things, at this point. And you know what’s been said about consecutive losses: 1 is an Accident; 2 is a Concern; and 3 is a Trend.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 am
CjR wrote:
migya wrote: If Mullin can somehow get rid of both Murphy and dun by this offseason...

As for the next game, the Clips won’t be a cake-walk. Your Alien is back and might just prod us.

:mrgreen:

Reckon he might just have is radioactive rod ready to give dunny the flush

CjR wrote:I’m really concerned about things, at this point. And you know what’s been said about consecutive losses: 1 is an Accident; 2 is a Concern; and 3 is a Trend.

4 means shoot dunnyboy,
5 means shoot Murphdog

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 am
migya wrote:
CjR wrote:

CjR wrote:I’m really concerned about things, at this point. And you know what’s been said about consecutive losses: 1 is an Accident; 2 is a Concern; and 3 is a Trend.

4 means shoot dunnyboy,
5 means shoot Murphdog

6 = Shoot Foyle (w/ an elephant gun) :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:21 am
CjR wrote:
migya wrote:
CjR wrote:

4 means shoot dunnyboy,
5 means shoot Murphdog

6 = Shoot Foyle (w/ an elephant gun) :mrgreen:

Might not do it, better going for the Brontosaurus gun

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:02 am
Tim K. from the Merc. was also listening to Nelson on KNBR. And yes, Ralph and Tom, two homers who are more used to the standard drivel that comes from the Warrior, Giant, and Niner executives whenever they get a spot on their home radio station, sounded very nervous listening to Nelson speak the truth.

Nelson has just earned a huge amount of respect for his honesty. No sugar coating here with this guy. Hell, he, Nelson, does not want to be blamed for coaching a losing team; he wants the roster and front office to be blamed...and rightly so! Mullin, while he thought that firing Monty and bringing in Nelson would assuage the local mediots and fans for his front office blunders (Dunleavy, Murphy, Foyle; not getting Artest; not making the offseason trade that he had promised to us), did not count on his guy, Nelson, to highlight the team's roster (and front office) problems in the media. We gotta love Nelson. Put a few beers in the guy and he just says what's on his mind. Even with the slurred speech, we all got to hear the truth.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/kawakami ... htly-more/

* Is anybody really listening to what Don Nelson’s saying about his players? I mean, besides me?

Update: The guys at GoldenStateofMind are listening. Yep, if the Warriors are trying to fool everybody, they’re not fooling the smartest Warrior fans. How much longer will the Warriors think the spin job is more important than honestly addressing the obvious roster problems?

Nelson’s not just trying to be entertaining when he fires fussilades at Ike Diogu’s mental errors or Mike Dunleavy’s tenativeness. Nelson’s making a point, though this hoops-loving region just doesn’t seem to want to hear it:

This is not a good roster. That’s what Nelson’s saying. I know Chris Mullin and Rod Higgins and Chris Cohan probably don’t want him to say it–and other people besides me apparently don’t want to hear it (geez, Ralph B. and Tommy sounded so nervous and mucho uncomfortable Thursday when Nelson was going off during their KNBR show)…

But it’s true. It does the Warriors no good to pretend this is a good team and that they have good players who only need to get healthier, older, taller, happier, more telegenic…. err, what’s the excuse of choice this month?

Honestly, the Warriors have lied to themselves for years about their true prospects… and look at what they’ve gotten out of it.

Nelson came here because he thought it was a pretty good young roster. He was wrong. Give him a million tons of credit: He realized he was wrong and is trying stuff to change it up.

(Give him more credit: He’s the first guy around here with my kind of ego–BIG.)

Nelson’s also certainly trying to make sure people know this isn’t a coaching failure–what’s he supposed to do if Dunleavy can’t do anything, if Jason Richardson isn’t an open-floor player, if Murphy and Diogu are horrendous, if…

Nelson, bless his cranky, 1,200-win soul, isn’t going to lie. There’s nothing in it for him to buy the Warriors’ usual blather.

Listen to him. He’s saying what has to be said, or else the Warriors will always try to convince themselves they’re just one year away, just one year away, just one year away… NO. THEY ARE NOT.

Finally, somebody there is saying it. Listen to him! Or just laugh nervously and try to change the subject.

* Other than that, I still pick the Warriors to beat Miami tonight. My guess: 107-103. They had better. Then those two Clipper games coming up are about as big as two games in January could possibly be, truth be told.

* This is how bad it is among true Warrior fans: My buddy the Sumo Bartender, as optimistic a sports fans as there is–you know him from my trouncing victories in the 49er bar bets–offered this yesterday when I asked him how many W’s he’d guess for the Warriors this year based on the start.

Remember, this is a guy who forecasted a 6th seed at the start of the season. Who thought the 49ers would win 9 games this year.

“I’m not feeling too good about the Warriors,” Sumo said. “Maybe 34 wins?”

Death knell. Right there.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Though he is funny and though he is being honest about his players, Nelson can be going too far and risk upsetting and disrespecting the players and that could well lead to chaos!

Yep. I think it's pretty dumb to be so honest. You'll end up losing the team.

Those are the sort of things you can (should) talk with the players in the locker room. Talking openly to the media is just stupid. It's one thing when we say those things... but the coach cannot do it. Not openly, at least. And not as frequently as Nellie does it (it's different when a coach talks like that about a certain player after a bad game, but when he does it about several players and several times... that's a proffesional suicide).

Lose who? Dumbleavy, Foible, and Joe Barry Murphy? Thats, ritch... They've been lost for years...
This season is not a flop.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25 am
loyaltyisacurse wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Though he is funny and though he is being honest about his players, Nelson can be going too far and risk upsetting and disrespecting the players and that could well lead to chaos!

Yep. I think it's pretty dumb to be so honest. You'll end up losing the team.

Those are the sort of things you can (should) talk with the players in the locker room. Talking openly to the media is just stupid. It's one thing when we say those things... but the coach cannot do it. Not openly, at least. And not as frequently as Nellie does it (it's different when a coach talks like that about a certain player after a bad game, but when he does it about several players and several times... that's a proffesional suicide).

Lose who? Dumbleavy, Foible, and Joe Barry Murphy? Thats, ritch... They've been lost for years...

What does Nelson have to lose?

He has won a ton of games, is a HOF coach, and is at an age in his life where he probably does not believe that he has to sugar coat anything. Also, it was pretty obvious that Nelson's speech was slurred (alcohol??), and he probably was just telling the truth.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 am
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:On a side note, I was listening to KNBR the other day where Ralph B. was stating that if a player has not reached his potential by his 4th-5th season, that player is not going to ever do so.

You know, there is much evidence that shows that this is true! What that means for the team is that dun and Murphy wil never be much and Pietrus, though he has been decent, may not be much more either

It will be interesting to see if Nelson will resist Mullin's influence/pressure to play the three stiffs (Dunleavy, Foyle, Murphy) and go instead with a youth movement. We fans would tolerate losses if the youth movement gave us hope for some light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone was so upbeat about Nelson coming aboard; however, nobody can turn chicken shi# into chicken soup.

Biedrens, Barnes, Ike, Monta, Air France, Baron, Richardson, and POB (bring him back and get him some playing time) should be our 8 man rotation.

I agree!
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball