Warriors' big-money forwards on bench

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:41 pm
Warriors' big-money forwards on bench

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... NI8J51.DTL

Warriors vice president Chris Mullin didn't sidestep the question, not that he could, really, with the franchise's $100 million investment in forwards Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy anchored to the bench of late.

How disappointing is it that his big-money players aren't producing?

"It's disappointing," Mullin said during a rare interview Thursday. "Mike and Murph, we need more out of them, there's no question about it. I don't think they would deny that. I don't think anyone would."

What Mullin denied is that he'll be forced to make a move before the Feb. 22 trade deadline, even if that's the most likely he acknowledged the stickiness of having a roster with players whose productivity isn't matching their paychecks.

Mullin's pricey frontline of Dunleavy, Murphy and Adonal Foyle has been replaced by the bargain lineup of Mickael Pietrus, Matt Barnes and Andris Biedrins, and while the latter three have played crucial roles in keeping the Warriors around .500, Mullin has almost no way of keeping them -- or making other improvements -- as long as he's saddled with the contracts of the first three.

Barnes is making the league minimum for a fourth-year player and Pietrus is in the final year of his rookie deal. Both figure to command at least a portion of some team's mid-level exception this summer, when Biedrins will be due for an extension. Monta Ellis also has only one year left on his deal.

That doesn't bode well for a team barely avoiding the luxury tax this season, still struggling to find a creator outside of Baron Davis and still in need of upgrades at the forward spots.

Nelson blasted Dunleavy and Murphy on Friday after the two combined for 10 points on 4-for-13 shooting, 10 rebounds and four assists in 50 minutes against the heat.

"Where are our veterans? What the hell are they doing?" Nelson said. "We shouldn't be relying on Matt Barnes to have a good game to win, but that's where we're at." Murphy is averaging 8.8 points and 5.9 rebounds in 25.7 minutes per game, while Dunleavy (11.3, 4.6, 26.8) and Foyle (2.5, 2.2, 9.5) haven't fared much better. On the flipside, there's Pietrus (13.7, 5.0, 31.1), Barnes (11.2, 4.7, 26.1) and Biedrins (10.4, 9.6, 28.9).

With the former starters under-producing, does Mullin still believe he has the right pieces for Nelson's up-tempo game?

"I think we've had some decent success playing this style," Mullin said. "Some have adapted to it easier than others. But we'll see how it goes from here on out.

"Some of the guys that haven't played well, do I see them fitting in? Yeah, if they can do it. It hasn't happened, so we'll see what happens."

Though multiple league sources said the Warriors have had discussions with other teams about Dunleavy and Murphy, nothing appears imminent. Murphy's agent, Dan Fegan, spoke to Mullin about his client's role earlier this season, but Mullin said Fegan has not asked for a trade yet.

Still, the forward isn't happy that Nelson's preference for smaller lineups, combined with his own ineffectiveness after nose and foot injuries, has compacted his playing time.

"I know I can do more. Whether or not I get that shot is not up to me," Murphy said. "All I can do is continue to work and be ready. That's pretty much it."

Mullin said Murphy's broken nose has been costlier than the forward wants to admit, and that Dunleavy has played well in stretches, if not consistently. He also believes 6-8 forward Ike Diogu can be a factor inside.

Mullin declined to answer any questions about trades, though judging by the number of times his cell phone rang during a 20-minute interview, it's safe to say he's scouring the market.

"If this doesn't go right, there ain't no question. It's on me," Mullin said of his own job security. "I'd be more than glad to handle that. Full throttle, full boat. All day, all night."
CHRIS MULLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:44 pm
I think both of these belong in the News section.

Moderators?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 pm
With Mullin signing these three stiffs to their contract extensions, the team has mortgaged its future on three marginal (at best) and flawed underachievers.

Pietrus, Barnes, Biedrens, Monta may all opt to move on and the team may not be able to do anything about it, due to Mullin's contract follies.

It reminds me a lot of the situation that the Warriors had with Donyell Marshall...only times three.

In any other NBA city, Mullin would be run out of town.

Memo to Chris Cohan: Fire Mullin and bring in Vandeweghe!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:44 am
#32 wrote:I think both of these belong in the News section.

Moderators?

Could be... but as only a few of us check that forum, I'd rather have it here. More people will post regarding the article.

If I move it, I'm pretty sure someone will post it here again...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:10 pm
Let's just hope Mullin's able to move DunMurphy (as Damon Bruce would say). I don't care who for... Contract dumps or not, just get rid of them. We don't need anyone in return...

I know this is way easier said than done... I'm just ranting.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 am
uptempo wrote:It reminds me a lot of the situation that the Warriors had with Donyell Marshall...only times three!

As I remember, the Warriors acquired Marshall's contract. plus, Donyell played good ball for the Warriors in their poorest of times (post Chris Webber) and that guy from North Carolina who names escapes me. The guy play horrible for the Warriors and then played fairly well for the Suns. Plua Marshall brought a slim ray of excitement with his slam dunks and blocked shots.

Donyell is still doing well in the NBA even as Webber and the other guy has either worn down or disapeared. I would rather have Marshall now than Dunleavy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:As I remember, the Warriors acquired Marshall's contract. plus, Donyell played good ball for the Warriors in their poorest of times (post Chris Webber) and that guy from North Carolina who names escapes me. The guy play horrible for the Warriors and then played fairly well for the Suns. Plua Marshall brought a slim ray of excitement with his slam dunks and blocked shots.

Gugliotta... unless you're thinking of other North Carolina guy. Had a weird career. Played well for the Bullets (still think it was dumb to change their name, but whatever...) great for Minny (even made an all star, if I remember well) and poorly for us. His first two seasons in Phoenix were decent, but then he disappeared.

ReginaldLewis wrote:Donyell is still doing well in the NBA even as Webber and the other guy has either worn down or disapeared. I would rather have Marshall now than Dunleavy.

Marshall was (is) a pretty decent player, but there are some similarities with Dunleavy. Both were high picks that didn't deliver what was expected from them (a #3 Dun and a #4 Donyell)... but Minny was smart to realize what they had in Marshall, so they traded him as soon as they could.

I think their careers can be similar. Decent role players, but nothing else. And Dun probably will have to leave the W's to start being appreciated for what he is. It's not easy for any fanbase to embrace the player they expected to lift the team from mediocrity as just a role player.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 am
I'm glad DunMurphy decided to step it up yesterday against the Clips... Let's hope it keeps getting better.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:33 am
The reference to Marshall was made because of the contract(s), not so much because of the style of play.

Dunleavy, I believe, in the right system (triangle offense) would do quite well. How about a Dunleavy and Murphy trade to the Lakers for Lamar Odom?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:40 am
uptempo wrote:How about a Dunleavy and Murphy trade to the Lakers for Lamar Odom?

We might have a bigger chance if the we offer the Warriors Girls instead...

... but now that I think of it, I doubt I'd do that trade. :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:55 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:How about a Dunleavy and Murphy trade to the Lakers for Lamar Odom?

Dunleavy would fit in well with the triangle and as an understudy to Kobe, like Pippen did with the Bulls and MJ.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 pm
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:

Dunleavy would fit in well with the triangle and as an understudy to Kobe, like Pippen did with the Bulls and MJ.

Dunleavy is not better than Luke Walton or Odom. Pippen was a #2 to Jordan. Dunleavy would not make a #2 for anyone.
Last edited by The Coooach on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:27 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Dunleavy is not better than look Walton or Odom. pippen was a #2 to Jordan. Dunleavy would not make a #2 for anyone.

Yeah, Dun is more like a #7 or #8.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 pm
TMC wrote:

Not if the WGirls are offering up double header bjobs :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Warriors Basketball