State of the Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 am
Let's look at this team objectively:

Positives:
1. We have a hall of fame coach who cannot win with this roster.

2. We have a fantastic backcourt rotation (when healthy) of Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, and Monta Ellis.

3. We have a budding star at center in Andris Biedrins.

4. We have a defensive stopper, good spot shooter, and slasher at small forward in Mikhael Pietrus.

Negatives:
1. Our frontcourt players are marginal, at best.

2. We are stuck in salary cap hell with the contracts that were given to Dunleavy, Foyle, and Murphy.

3. We have an undersized power forward (who actually would probably do very well at small forward) in Matt Barnes.

4. We have an undersized power forward in Ike Diogu who is not on the same page as our HOF coach.

5. We have a horrible front office led by a recovering addict who is completely overwhelmed in Chris Mullin.

What to do:
1. Give Don Nelson a contract extension and a raise. He deserves this for, at least, giving us an honest evaluation of this roster. No more Mullin-Myopia with Nelson's analysis of this team.

2. Make a decision to sit the veterans, other than Baron Davis, Jason Richardson (when he returns), and Mikhael Pietrus, and go with a youth movement and play the younger players.

3. Bring back POB and get him some minutes vs. NBA talent.

4. Fire Chris Mullin and bring in Kiki Vandeweghe, a guy with a good track record and a guy who is committed to building a team that is both offensively and defensively balanced, to run the front office.

Lastly, Don Nelson, while I have had my reservations about his coaching style (read: has teams that do not rebound nor play defense), has been quite a pleasant surprise with his observations and analysis of this Warrior team. If anything, he may force us (media, fans) to get our collective heads out of the sand and see the team for what it is: an incomplete team of non-complimentary pieces of flawed front court players.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 pm
uptempo wrote:Let's look at this team objectively:

Positives:

2. We have a fantastic backcourt rotation (when healthy) of Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, and Monta Ellis.

4. We have a defensive stopper, good spot shooter, and slasher at small forward in Mikhael Pietrus.

Negatives:

2. We are stuck in salary cap hell with the contracts that were given to Dunleavy, Foyle, and Murphy.

3. We have an undersized power forward (who actually would probably do very well at small forward) in Matt Barnes.

4. We have an undersized power forward in Ike Diogu who is not on the same page as our HOF coach.

5. We have a horrible front office led by a recovering addict who is completely overwhelmed in Chris Mullin.

What to do:
1. Give Don Nelson a contract extension and a raise. He deserves this for, at least, giving us an honest evaluation of this roster. No more Mullin-Myopia with Nelson's analysis of this team.

2. Make a decision to sit the veterans, other than Baron Davis, Jason Richardson (when he returns), and Mikhael Pietrus, and go with a youth movement and play the younger players.

4. Fire Chris Mullin and bring in Kiki Vandeweghe, a guy with a good track record and a guy who is committed to building a team that is both offensively and defensively balanced, to run the front office.

Lastly, Don Nelson, while I have had my reservations about his coaching style (read: has teams that do not rebound nor play defense), has been quite a pleasant surprise with his observations and analysis of this Warrior team. If anything, he may force us (media, fans) to get our collective heads out of the sand and see the team for what it is: an incomplete team of non-complimentary pieces of flawed front court players.

I agree with everything you said. :D

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 pm
uptempo wrote:Let's look at this team objectively:

Positives:

Negatives:

What to do:

I agree with everything you said. :D
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:39 pm
uptempo wrote:4. Fire Chris Mullin

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's like a Southpark episode, where all Cartman cares about is killing Kyle. Without fail, uptempo never ceases to clamor for the firing of Chris Mullin.

There's just one problem: Baron Davis, Don Nelson, Andris Biedrins, Mickael Pietrus, Monta Ellis, Ike Diogu, and Matt Barnes all wouldn't be here without Chris Mullin. And, right now, most of them are on your 'good list'.

The guy's put together a decent team. Your only gripe with him is the way he gives out contracts. #1, bad contracts are necessary to keep talent when you're a lottery team. #2, A couple bad signs are not enough to fire a guy.

If Murphy can be moved, than all will be forgiven. Dunleavy was a huge mistake, Foyle will expire in a couple seasons, and Derek Fisher is already gone. Aside from a few bad contracts, the guy's been great. He refused to trade some of his budding young stars (Ike Diogu) for an insane headcase (like Ron Artest)... and Atlanta never wanted talent, in return for Al Harrington, they wanted cap relief (which Indy had).

Mullin's done a decent job so far (if not for the contracts, he'd have done a great job). We go from being a league doormat to an 8th seed... and nobody cares. Chris Mullin dragged this team off the bottom of the ocean.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm
not trading diogu for artest was probably a bad move. You might say that Artest only plays 60 games a season and eventually will demand a trade but we all know that Ike won't be here after his contract runs out, and he never plays, so it's a wash.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:52 pm
I'm seriously betting Ike will explode next year, the way Biedrins has this year.

And Ike is Chris Mullin's pet. He wouldn't give him up for Artest; and he won't give him up to free agency. Mully will strap that guy with so much cash, he won't be able to move. Just watch.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:57 pm
#32 wrote:And Ike is Chris Mullin's pet. He wouldn't give him up for Artest; and he won't give him up to free agency. Mully will strap that guy with so much cash, he won't be able to move. Just watch.

Then he better explodes at some point. We have enough with one failed pet in Dunleavy. :wink:

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 pm
#32 wrote:I'm seriously betting Ike will explode next year, the way Biedrins has this year.

And Ike is Chris Mullin's pet. He wouldn't give him up for Artest; and he won't give him up to free agency. Mully will strap that guy with so much cash, he won't be able to move. Just watch.

But, does Ike fit into a Nelson coached team?

He truly looks lost at times this season.

It might be best to trade the kid and get something/someone who would be a better fit.

I do like the earlier suggestion on this thread of having a frontline of Biedrens, Ike, and Barnes; however, that front line would be too traditional (read: plays defense, rebounds) and not quick enough for a Nelson coached team.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:10 pm
#32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:4. Fire Chris Mullin

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's like a Southpark episode, where all Cartman cares about is killing Kyle. Without fail, uptempo never ceases to clamor for the firing of Chris Mullin.

There's just one problem: Baron Davis, Don Nelson, Andris Biedrins, Mickael Pietrus, Monta Ellis, Ike Diogu, and Matt Barnes all wouldn't be here without Chris Mullin. And, right now, most of them are on your 'good list'.

The guy's put together a decent team. Your only gripe with him is the way he gives out contracts. #1, bad contracts are necessary to keep talent when you're a lottery team. #2, A couple bad signs are not enough to fire a guy.

If Murphy can be moved, than all will be forgiven. Dunleavy was a huge mistake, Foyle will expire in a couple seasons, and Derek Fisher is already gone. Aside from a few bad contracts, the guy's been great. He refused to trade some of his budding young stars (Ike Diogu) for an insane headcase (like Ron Artest)... and Atlanta never wanted talent, in return for Al Harrington, they wanted cap relief (which Indy had).

Mullin's done a decent job so far (if not for the contracts, he'd have done a great job). We go from being a league doormat to an 8th seed... and nobody cares. Chris Mullin dragged this team off the bottom of the ocean.

LOL!

Please tell me that you don't believe that Mullin is doing a better job than Vandeweghe would do. We do need to evaluate all aspects of this team, including the front office.

I, too, would rather have Ike than Artest; however, Artest would be a great fit for a Nelson coached team. He is a multi-dimensional and athletic player who can take over a game both on the defensive as well as offensive end of the floor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:12 pm
uptempo wrote:Please tell me that you don't believe that Mullin is doing a better job than Vandeweghe would do. We do need to evaluate all aspects of this team, including the front office.

I'm not taking any sides, but you know Vandeweghe would start the team from scractch again, don't you?. That's at least four years before having a chance to go to the playoffs...
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:15 pm

We ain't gettin' the eighth seed right now in case you didn't notice
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:30 pm
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:Please tell me that you don't believe that Mullin is doing a better job than Vandeweghe would do. We do need to evaluate all aspects of this team, including the front office.

I'm not taking any sides, but you know Vandeweghe would start the team from scractch again, don't you?. That's at least four years before having a chance to go to the playoffs...

Do you believe that this hodge-podge of disparate pieces will be in the playoffs within 4 years?

Also, if this team gets into the playoffs in 2 years, how far does it go, and then what?

Mullin has saddled us with a potentially slightly better than mediocre team.

Let's get a real architect in here who has a proven track record and can build a winning program.

Mullin is in over his head. Cohan needs go give him his gold watch and send him on his way. Hang his jersey in the Oracle; put small pictures of him in a suit and tie in the urinals; have him replace Jim Barnett; anything but a continuation of what he is doing in the front office.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm
The team is what it is and just by playing Diogu more and having a near full healthy team, things would be much better

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 pm
migya wrote:The team is what it is and just by playing Diogu more and having a near full healthy team, things would be much better

I would tend to agree with you on this statement; however, it does not look like Ike fits into Nelson's system.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 pm
I Also agree with the statement but it is way too early to judge Ike in the system and given the major injury's it's unfair at this point to be bashing Mullin and calling for his flat top on a platter, especially with the emerging Monta,Bedrins,Barnes and now Azubuike as well as Baron back to playing All Star caliber B'ball.
IF Murph & J Rich were healthy this year the Warriors would probally be a 6-7 seed :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball