For all the praise Nellie is getting

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:49 pm
this is the EXACT SAME record we had at this point last year. Now I know that J-rich is injured but monta and biedrins have improved and barnes has joined the team(and nellie wasn't part of that) which pretty much counteracts it. He's still playing dung, murph, and foyle, albeit not as much. He's doing a better job than Monty, obviously, but I don't think he's doing as good as job as he gets credit for
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 pm
Nelson certainly has not made the team a whole lot better but he did play Biedrins and Monta a whole lot more (though they were imoroving anyway) and made Pietrus perform a bit more to his potential. In three seasons we will all see how much Nelson did because he certainly did alot by his third season in the Mavs. He is no king at this point in time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:19 am
migya wrote:Nelson certainly has not made the team a whole lot better but he did play Biedrins and Monta a whole lot more (though they were imoroving anyway) and made Pietrus perform a bit more to his potential. In three seasons we will all see how much Nelson did because he certainly did alot by his third season in the Mavs. He is no king at this point in time

:withstupid:

Also, our record last year wasn good only because we had the softest schedule of the league. It all went to hell once we started playing the top teams (and Baron started having health problems).

I think Nellie has done a decent job. Not great, tho. I'd give him a B- right now.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:21 am
migya wrote:In three seasons we will all see how much Nelson did because he certainly did alot by his third season in the Mavs. He is no king at this point in time

I would be shocked if Nellie is still coaching this team in three seasons. My guess is that if he does not get this team into the playoffs next season, or maybe one season after that, he is done. After all, he is 68 I believe.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:46 am
My point is that he signed for three years and in three years, he turned the Mavs from awful to contenders

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am
Nelson has them overachieving - even though their record is the same as last year up to this point, this is a completely different team.

You throw in injuries with Richardson, Ellis, Ike (though I don't think he'd have mattered much), the disappearance of Murphy, the consistent inconsistencies of Dun, you can't possibly say Nelson isn't doing THAT good of a job. How can you all make that statement?

If anything, you guys should reserve judgement until we get our full squad.

Do you remember wins over the best teams in the league this early in the season last year? Wins vs Dallas, San Antonio, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, Utah?? F*ck no.

You take a team with LESS talent then last year and you beat some very good teams.

Completely disagree with you all...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:03 pm
aletha33 wrote:Nelson has them overachieving - even though their record is the same as last year up to this point, this is a completely different team.

You throw in injuries with Richardson, Ellis, Ike (though I don't think he'd have mattered much), the disappearance of Murphy, the consistent inconsistencies of Dun, you can't possibly say Nelson isn't doing THAT good of a job. How can you all make that statement?

If anything, you guys should reserve judgement until we get our full squad.

Do you remember wins over the best teams in the league this early in the season last year? Wins vs Dallas, San Antonio, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, Utah?? F*ck no.

You take a team with LESS talent then last year and you beat some very good teams.

Completely disagree with you all...

You are spot on with your points and Nelson should be given credit for handling the team pretty well through such a difficult period as it has been so far this season BUT my point (and most others here) is that the team is 50% AND though they have beaten some top teams (a showing of ability and potential) they have lost to some rotten teams (a showing of immaturity and lack of consistency) and are still miserable on the road. Nelson has made a positive difference but he has not done a great job, just a good one

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:21 am
migya wrote:You are spot on with your points and Nelson should be given credit for handling the team pretty well through such a difficult period as it has been so far this season BUT my point (and most others here) is that the team is 50% AND though they have beaten some top teams (a showing of ability and potential) they have lost to some rotten teams (a showing of immaturity and lack of consistency) and are still miserable on the road. Nelson has made a positive difference but he has not done a great job, just a good one

Yep. Pretty much on point. I only have the doubt of what could have happened with a healthy roster (I'm talking mainly about J-Rich).

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:44 am
migya wrote:
aletha33 wrote:... Nelson has made a positive difference but he has not done a great job, just a good one

Good on offense; horrible on defense.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 pm
Nellie has done a mediocre job, and I have yet to see any dramatic improvement from any Warrior with a big contract. If we don't see a playoff by next year, I see him and Mullin packing up their bags. I don't see the solid foundation of half court offense and defensive philosophy that is now the trade mark of the Jazz and Lakers. Our point guards are the worst combo (from a decision making/assist/turnover/shot selection) next to the Knicks terrible duo (of Franchsie and Strawberry). If I wanted to build our team for the future, we need to start Foyle, Diogu and Dunleavy and dump our backcourt and jump shooting philosophy. I would trade Murphy, BD, Ellis and not resign Barnes or Pietrus. Hopefully we can dump Murphy so we can resign Biedrins. We are better off with decent defense, solid rebounding, and pounding the ball to Biedrins, Diogu, J-Rich, and OBryant than this crap 4 guard zone defense, jump shooting and no playoff Baron/Ellis ball.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:12 pm

A) Jrich is injured but it's offset by the emergence of AB and Monta
B) Monta Was injured more last year than this year
C) Ike was injured last year too
D) You think a formerly consistent player disappearing is a good thing on a coaches resume?
E) Dunleavy is having the best season of his career, so "the consistent inconsistencies of dunleavy" sounds rather stupid when comparing him to lasts year's attrocity

Guess what the grand sum of what nellie has done is: had the common sense to not start foyle and dun while having other players improve
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:33 pm
dareedle wrote:Nellie has done a mediocre job, and I have yet to see any dramatic improvement from any Warrior with a big contract. If we don't see a playoff by next year, I see him and Mullin packing up their bags. I don't see the solid foundation of half court offense and defensive philosophy that is now the trade mark of the Jazz and Lakers. Our point guards are the worst combo (from a decision making/assist/turnover/shot selection) next to the Knicks terrible duo (of Franchsie and Strawberry). If I wanted to build our team for the future, we need to start Foyle, Diogu and Dunleavy and dump our backcourt and jump shooting philosophy. I would trade Murphy, BD, Ellis and not resign Barnes or Pietrus. Hopefully we can dump Murphy so we can resign Biedrins. We are better off with decent defense, solid rebounding, and pounding the ball to Biedrins, Diogu, J-Rich, and OBryant than this crap 4 guard zone defense, jump shooting and no playoff Baron/Ellis ball.

You make some good points here; however, no Don Nelson team will ever play decent defense, rebound, nor pound the ball inside.

The only way that Mullin/Nelson will move on is if Cohan decides to clean out the trash and start over with a good front office person who would bring in a blueprint for building the team, including hiring a coach who emphasizes playing defense and getting rid of Mullin's pets (Dunleavy, Murphy, and Foyle).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:23 pm
dareedle wrote:If I wanted to build our team for the future, we need to start Foyle, Diogu and Dunleavy

You can dump that idea in the bin and make it quick! Disgraceful 2 out of 3!

I somewhat agree that this run and gun style is not working but mostly because you have to play both ends! Having Diogu play alongside Biedrins for as much time a game as possible would make a huge difference, more offensively than defensively for now but that would improve soon

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:16 pm
dareedle wrote:If I wanted to build our team for the future, we need to start Foyle, Diogu and Dunleavy and dump our backcourt and jump shooting philosophy.

Foyle? Dunleavy? Dump our backcourt?

You are kidding, right?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 pm
uptempo wrote:
dareedle wrote:If I wanted to build our team for the future, we need to start Foyle, Diogu and Dunleavy and dump our backcourt and jump shooting philosophy.

Foyle? Dunleavy? Dump our backcourt?

You are kidding, right?

Yeah. You a Warriors fan, dareedle? Or a Lakers fan?
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball