Nelson on KNBR

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 am
They just had it this afternoon. It likely wont be up for at least another couple of days.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:35 am
#32 wrote:They just had it this afternoon. It likely wont be up for at least another couple of days.

thanks, ill check back later.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:14 am
migya wrote:Though he is funny and though he is being honest about his players, Nelson can be going too far and risk upsetting and disrespecting the players and that could well lead to chaos!

Yep. I think it's pretty dumb to be so honest. You'll end up losing the team.

Those are the sort of things you can (should) talk with the players in the locker room. Talking openly to the media is just stupid. It's one thing when we say those things... but the coach cannot do it. Not openly, at least. And not as frequently as Nellie does it (it's different when a coach talks like that about a certain player after a bad game, but when he does it about several players and several times... that's a proffesional suicide).
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:15 am
uptempo wrote:Sometimes, when people reach a certain mature age, they just do not care what people think of what they say. Nelson may have reached this age. It is refreshing, yet, somewhat disturbing. The speech was slurred (drunk at mid-afternoon???), but the content was right on: basically, Nelson was saying that this team is horrible. What the hell is going on here? Are we headed to another lottery? Also, how could Dunleavy, a kid who grew up with a basketball playing and coaching dad, have such a low basketball IQ?

i actually think Dun does have a high IQ. I just think the NBA game is just too fast for him. Mentally, he may know what to do - physically, his body isn't able to follow along.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:29 am
uptempo wrote:Other than Baron and Richardson, Nelson really sounded like this team is loaded with players who have very limited skills. I have privately wondered the same thing, especially when looking at the frontcourt players.

Nelson sounded very beaten down about this team and its lack of talent on the frontcourt.

BTW, it was absolutely painful to sit at the Oracle last night and see Foyle get completely manhandled and abused on the defensive end of the court by Howard. One play, in particular, where Howard just faced up on Foyle, lowered his shoulder, and shoot right through/over Foyle for a basket. Foyle looked like a boy being taken to task by a man. Just pathetic.

Well, problem is.. We have a lot of tweeners IMHO. We've always had a history of drafting tweeners. Not the good kind where you can actually use them for multiple positions like Run TMC, but the bad kind. I mean the "not quite good enough to play consistently at their natural position but will need some work to fit into the position they are physically capable of". JRich is an example of the good kind. He can be plugged into SF or SG and still be consitent. Dunleavy is an example of the kind you'd probably want to have come off the bench and plugged into multiple spots.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 pm
tkono wrote:
uptempo wrote:Other than Baron and Richardson, Nelson really sounded like this team is loaded with players who have very limited skills. I have privately wondered the same thing, especially when looking at the frontcourt players.

Nelson sounded very beaten down about this team and its lack of talent on the frontcourt.

BTW, it was absolutely painful to sit at the Oracle last night and see Foyle get completely manhandled and abused on the defensive end of the court by Howard. One play, in particular, where Howard just faced up on Foyle, lowered his shoulder, and shoot right through/over Foyle for a basket. Foyle looked like a boy being taken to task by a man. Just pathetic.

Well, problem is.. We have a lot of tweeners IMHO. We've always had a history of drafting tweeners. Not the good kind where you can actually use them for multiple positions like Run TMC, but the bad kind. I mean the "not quite good enough to play consistently at their natural position but will need some work to fit into the position they are physically capable of". JRich is an example of the good kind. He can be plugged into SF or SG and still be consitent. Dunleavy is an example of the kind you'd probably want to have come off the bench and plugged into multiple spots.

Tweeners are OK as long as they are interchangeable, can play multiple positions, and give the coach options to create matchup problems.

I believe that we fans would tolerate, even accept, another Chris Mullin (read: missing the playoffs again) season if Nelson would junk playing the veterans who have no upside (Murphy, Dunleavy, Foyle) and go with the youngsters (Ike, Biedrens, Monta, Barnes, POB???) along with Davis, Richardson, and Pietrus. The youngsters have upside, can improve, and will be the building blocks for a better team.

On a side note, I was listening to KNBR the other day where Ralph B. was stating that if a player has not reached his potential by his 4th-5th season, that player is not going to ever do so. This Warrior team has gone down the Chris Mullin path of believing in the sunk cost fallacy: we spent so much money on Foyle, Murphy, and Dunleavy, that we now have to play them and get some value from them. It would be better for the team to acknowledge that Mullin screwed up, sit/trade/cut these stiffs, and go with the younger talent. Mullin can take credit for his good drafting skills; but, he has to get rid of the trash in order for this team to grow.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 pm
uptempo wrote:Sometimes, when people reach a certain mature age, they just do not care what people think of what they say. Nelson may have reached this age.

I agree uptempo. That age is 50. I call it the kiss-my-ass age. You are not beholden to anyone, boss, spouse, kids, or other people on the tread.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:53 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:
uptempo wrote:Sometimes, when people reach a certain mature age, they just do not care what people think of what they say. Nelson may have reached this age.

I agree uptempo. That age is 50. I call it the kiss-my-ass age. You are not beholden to anyone, boss, spouse, kids, or other people on the tread.

You know, Reggie, I'm getting close to that frame of mind... and seems like I'm 20 years ahead of schedule. Scary. :wink:

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:24 pm
TMC wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:

You know, Reggie, I'm getting close to that frame of mind... and seems like I'm 20 years ahead of schedule. Scary. :wink:

LOL!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:06 pm
TMC wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:

You and me both my friend! I try to take it situation by situation but some people are just so rude and act like they own you that you just feel like either telling them bluntly what you think of them or giving them a swift kick to the head. Alot of older people actually treat people my age that way and it doesn't work because it isn't constructive and just pissses you off

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 pm
uptempo wrote:On a side note, I was listening to KNBR the other day where Ralph B. was stating that if a player has not reached his potential by his 4th-5th season, that player is not going to ever do so.

You know, there is much evidence that shows that this is true! What that means for the team is that dun and Murphy wil never be much and Pietrus, though he has been decent, may not be much more either

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:23 pm
In the movie "Fear Of The Black Hat" The character Ice Cold wrote a book called "FYMF" He said when you get mad, and you get mad again, and you don't know what to say you just say "F_ck Yall MotherF...ers

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:23 pm
In the movie "Fear Of The Black Hat" The character Ice Cold wrote a book called "FYMF" He said when you get mad, and you get mad again, and you don't know what to say you just say "F_ck Yall MotherF...ers

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:02 pm
migya wrote:
uptempo wrote:On a side note, I was listening to KNBR the other day where Ralph B. was stating that if a player has not reached his potential by his 4th-5th season, that player is not going to ever do so.

You know, there is much evidence that shows that this is true! What that means for the team is that dun and Murphy wil never be much and Pietrus, though he has been decent, may not be much more either

It will be interesting to see if Nelson will resist Mullin's influence/pressure to play the three stiffs (Dunleavy, Foyle, Murphy) and go instead with a youth movement. We fans would tolerate losses if the youth movement gave us hope for some light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone was so upbeat about Nelson coming aboard; however, nobody can turn chicken shi# into chicken soup.

Biedrens, Barnes, Ike, Monta, Air France, Baron, Richardson, and POB (bring him back and get him some playing time) should be our 8 man rotation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:06 pm
uptempo wrote:
migya wrote:

Biedrens, Barnes, Ike, Monta, Air France, Baron, Richardson, and POB (bring him back and get him some playing time) should be our 8 man rotation.

Nelson will have to se with time that this is the best lineup to go with, not sure about O'bryant though. A healthy JRich would really change things

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball