Interesting thought from Yahoo! Sports

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:44 pm
Discuss:

Heading back to the Atlantic (sorry), it's hard to see the Nets doing anything of note even with a healthy Jefferson and Kidd and Nenad Krstic back on board. The Nets, despite their reputation as a running team, usually aren't. They're 15th in possessions per game, up from 18th last season. They ranked 21st in 2004-05, and 18th the season before. And though Carter is probably looking to stay in New Jersey past this summer (he can make more money with the Nets than anywhere else, after all), GM Rod Thorn needs to take a long look at his guard-heavy roster. Then he needs to look at Golden State, and trade for a guard.

The Warriors like to run now, which is bad news for Jason Richardson. The sixth-year guard plays the right way, but he needs a slow-down offense and the ball to be effective. Despite his fabulous jumping ability, his game just isn't made for the fast break. Even before breaking his shooting hand Dec. 31, Richardson was struggling through an injury-plagued month in which he shot 29.4 percent and averaged 8.8 points. His per-game scoring average has dropped nearly 11 points under Don Nelson, and he'll probably never be a good fit with Nellie on board, which is why Thorn needs to try to grab the 25-year-old guard while his value appears low.
Swap Carter, rookie Josh Boone and 7-foot-1 project Mile Ilic for Richardson, Troy Murphy and Ike Diogu. The Nets pick up some depth and scoring up front -- Murphy is perfect to space the floor and Diogu can do things with the ball down low -- while the Warriors drop Richardson's and Murphy's contracts. Diogu doesn't play much (for some reason), and the Warriors get a chance to win Carter over for a few months. If Carter passes on staying in Oakland this summer, then they simply plug his wing position with Mickael Pietrus and Monta Ellis (which is what they're doing already, even with Richardson healthy) and enjoy a little cap flexibility.

This season is not a flop.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:47 pm
Would love the trade if ike wasnt involved. I Still like it, Vince is an upgrade over J-Rich (I know VC is soft and J-rich is great but come on Vince has got game). Boone i dont know much about, didnt really like him at uconn and havent seen or heard much about him this year( same goes for mile ilic whoever he is...).

And to top it all off we get rid of the worst player with the worst contract on the team? Sounds good to me.

I dont know about the whole J-rich isnt built for nelly's style i need to see him healthy to make that assesment.

The only downside is losing ike (even thought hes not playing). The guys has serious game as we all know and its one of those things that were going to regret if we lose him.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 pm
I think Ike is a worthy sacrifice to dump Murphy's deal and Jrich's for that matter. Even if Vince bails, we now have the cap room to sign Monta and Biedrins no problem.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:21 am
I'm also weary of losing Ike like this... if we could swap in Pietrus or O'Bryant instead, that'd be ideal. Or, hell, let them keep Josh Boone. I'd rather have Ike.

That being said, I'd pull the trigger. No doubt.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:26 am
That's a pretty dumb trade, clearly done from a Nets fan perspective. Carter is going to be a free agent this year (probably going to Orlando), so we'd be basically trading J-Rich, Ike and Murphy for Boone (who sucks) and Ilic (who sucks even more). Great idea.

The Nets better send us their next 10 first rounders if they want to make it fair.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 am
TMC wrote:That's a pretty dumb trade, clearly done from a Nets fan perspective. Carter is going to be a free agent this year (probably going to Orlando), so we'd be basically trading J-Rich, Ike and Murphy for Boone (who sucks) and Ilic (who sucks even more). Great idea.

The Nets better send us their next 10 first rounders if they want to make it fair.

Exactly! Carter would leave and JRich (as good a fit here as anyone) would be lost along with potential star Diogu.

No way!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 am
J-Rich doesn't fit in Nellie's system!? That's bull sh-t! He hasn't even been able to play over 80% this whole year! J-Rich can run with the best and Nellie's system will work perfectly with him! We just haven't seen it yet cuz J-Rich has been injuried this whole season. Why does this writer think otherwise?

Crazy, Stupid Statement!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:28 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:That's a pretty dumb trade, clearly done from a Nets fan perspective. Carter is going to be a free agent this year (probably going to Orlando), so we'd be basically trading J-Rich, Ike and Murphy for Boone (who sucks) and Ilic (who sucks even more). Great idea.

Exactly! Carter would leave and JRich (as good a fit here as anyone) would be lost along with potential star Diogu.

No way!

Migya,

you are on the right track with that Picture of Sam Cassell, but if you truly want to be accurate you should compare him with the Alien in the Movie "Enemy Mine" with Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Junior. :mrgreen:
This season is not a flop.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:44 pm
Josh Jamison wrote:J-Rich doesn't fit in Nellie's system!? That's bull sh-t! He hasn't even been able to play over 80% this whole year! J-Rich can run with the best and Nellie's system will work perfectly with him! We just haven't seen it yet cuz J-Rich has been injuried this whole season. Why does this writer think otherwise?

Crazy, Stupid Statement!

:D
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:23 pm
loyaltyisacurse wrote:
migya wrote:

No way!

Migya,

you are on the right track with that Picture of Sam Cassell, but if you truly want to be accurate you should compare him with the Alien in the Movie "Enemy Mine" with Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Junior. :mrgreen:

Will look it up :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:56 pm

What about my idea; where you take Josh Boone and Ike Diogu out of the trade. It becomes Carter (who'd be a salary dump) and Ilic (who we'd drop) for Murphy and Richardson's contracts.

At this point, what would you rather do: keep Jason Richardson or resign Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, AND Ike Diogu? With Murphy and Rich's contracts off the books, we can (very realistically) resign all 3 - not to mention, possibly Barnes. That could solidify our lineup for the next 5 years:

2008-'09 Golden State Warriors

PG - Baron Davis / Keith McCleod
SG - Monta Ellis / Kelena Azibuke / 2007 Draft Pick
SF - Mickael Pietrus / Matt Barnes
PF - Ike Diogu / Mike Dunleavy
C - Andris Biedrins / Patrick O'Bryant / Adonal Foyle

Keep in mind, that would be a fully developed Monta and Ike starting, along with a more beefed up (and finely tuned) Patrick O'Bryant back from the D-League. And we'd probably pick up another guard in the draft. I'd be seriously down for that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:02 pm
im down with this ****.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 pm
#32 wrote:What about my idea; where you take Josh Boone and Ike Diogu out of the trade. It becomes Carter (who'd be a salary dump) and Ilic (who we'd drop) for Murphy and Richardson's contracts.

At this point, what would you rather do: keep Jason Richardson or resign Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, AND Ike Diogu? With Murphy and Rich's contracts off the books, we can (very realistically) resign all 3 - not to mention, possibly Barnes. That could solidify our lineup for the next 5 years:

Keep in mind, that would be a fully developed Monta and Ike starting, along with a more beefed up (and finely tuned) Patrick O'Bryant back from the D-League. And we'd probably pick up another guard in the draft. I'd be seriously down for that.

On the books it's a good move 32, but I think that the warriors administration wouldn't be down with trading richardson solely to get rid of murphy's salary. Many fans just come to the games to see jrich (which explains why attendance is down.). That lineup you posted looks no better than our current one when healthy.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:47 pm
I'd pass on that proposal. Keep Ike out and NJ's trash...I was always a Boone supporter though, and while VC is a great talent I'd rather go the cheaper route( Maggette anyone? ) or go for RJ instead...
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:47 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:What about my idea; where you take Josh Boone and Ike Diogu out of the trade. It becomes Carter (who'd be a salary dump) and Ilic (who we'd drop) for Murphy and Richardson's contracts.

On the books it's a good move 32, but I think that the warriors administration wouldn't be down with trading richardson solely to get rid of murphy's salary. Many fans just come to the games to see jrich (which explains why attendance is down.). That lineup you posted looks no better than our current one when healthy.

AGREED!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball