No love for Baron the All Star

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:21 am
One could easily argue that other than Nash, Baron is the best PG in the West.
Reasons why - you know them! Here are his #s compared to other west coast PGs:
Number two scroing PG (behind Iverson)
Number two in rebounds (behind Miller)
Number five in assists (not as good as I thought)
Number one in steals!
Number two in blocked shots (behind Livingston)
Nobody else is in the top one or two spot in as many categories as Baron!

Intangibles:
Came in this year in great shape - big deal for him - more consistent than any other west coast PG not named Nash
People talk about Monte, Biedrins and Barnes as potential MIP recipients - but they wouldn't be playing this well without Baron setting them up, being a leader, etc.
Warriors fighting for the 8th spot based mostly on one guys production all season.
Tag of being a selfish player gone when Nelson came in

Despite all this I hear lots of names of potential all stars who's numbers don't come close and who's teams aren't necessarily better!

Warriors front office needs to be pushing his name much more on the league so that he gets voted on by those more knowledgeable than the fans.

All Star game means little - of course. but NBA players are fragile, and I think Baron's ego would get a big boost and this would lead to a great second half for him and the Warriors if it occured.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:50 am
Another intangible: He has no cred amongst most coaches. He won't go 'cos he won't be picked to go, not because he doesn't deserve it.

He should go as the second PG (Nash will go above him), but the fact that all the guards go in the same group it's reducing his chances.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:00 am
sleepyfloyd wrote:Number two scroing PG (behind Iverson)
Number two in rebounds (behind Miller)

...?

If you're counting Iverson, you can't count Andre Miller anymore (since he's in the Eastern Conference). Baron Davis has to be #1 in one of those categories now (unless you're talking about a different Miller...?)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:28 pm
a thread that has been made over and over again deserves the same response:

No way baron makes the allstar team.

Kobe and Tmac are probably starting

AI and Nash are probably coming off the bench

Yao and Amare are probably playing center

Dirk, KG, Carmelo, and duncan should get forward spots

That means Baron has to contend with Marion, Boozer, Ginobili, Parker, Randolph, Allen, Brand, and Paul for the final two spots

now I'm not saying all those guys are better than him but do you really think that he'll be one of the best two out of those eight? I doubt it.

The truth is that any way you slice it, Baron is not a top 4 guard in the west (Tmac, Kobe, AI, Nash) so he has to make it as a wildcard in the era that is the toughest to make it as a wildcard
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:30 pm
Well, looking at him purely as a PG, he ranks 4th in assists in the West, behind Nash, Paul, Williams...since Kobe, McGrady and Nash are guaranteed, there is one guard slot left and that is likely to go to Iverson or Paul. I don't see it for Baron. I see him as the 3rd best PG in the West right now, would put Paul ahead of him, who is doing more with less. I also think of Baron as a hybrid ala Iverson, someone whose inclination at times is more of a scorer than a passer. Make no mistake, he is a brilliant player, but I don't think it is Baron-bashing to say there are times when he forgets about his teammates, esp. in the 4th quarter. I don't think you can ever say that about Nash and Paul. I also see Bibby as more of a pure PG in his thinking...if he gets in, BD will get there as a utility pick, and because without him, the Ws would be 5 games under .500 right now. He is the Ws best player by a longshot, no doubt, it's just that the West is so damn deep.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:47 pm
His numbers are better than Chris Paul's and Bibby's - thus, he is having the better year and deserves it more. His team's record is better as well. Chris Paul may be the best PG in the West in a couple years, but not yet. As for doing more with less - When Hornets are healthy they have great weapons for CP3 to go to - Peja, Desmond Mason, David West, etc. Both Baron and Chris have been doing alot with less, more so than Nash really. Also, I think he is more of a passer this year than in year's past, he shoulders the scoring load because he needs to (unlike Nash), but his sharing of the ball is why Monta, Pietrus, Beidrins and Barnes are all having good years. Plus, if he was an Iverson type, his assists would be far less.
As for Tmac - Baron is having a better year than him as well, but the China vote for Houston players gets him in.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 pm
sleepyfloyd wrote:His numbers are better than Chris Paul's and Bibby's - thus, he is having the better year and deserves it more.

I laughed at this statement. Chris Paul is debatable in terms of being better and more deserving. As a PG, you shouldn't be worrying about stats and often marks of a successful PG don't show up in the stats. He does deserve it more than Bibby though but only because Bibby is having an off-year.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:54 pm
John Patrick wrote:
sleepyfloyd wrote:His numbers are better than Chris Paul's and Bibby's - thus, he is having the better year and deserves it more.

I laughed at this statement. Chris Paul is debatable in terms of being better and more deserving. As a PG, you shouldn't be worrying about stats and often marks of a successful PG don't show up in the stats. He does deserve it more than Bibby though but only because Bibby is having an off-year.

yeah, especially since he still hasn't mentioned a pesky MVP named Allen Iverson and a pesky MVP named steve Nash will be the BACKUP guards
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:51 pm
Pest said it well with his first post, stating that Baron can make it but he has to contend for the last two spots with Marion, Parker (both likely to make the last two spots), Boozer, Allen and Brand.

Baron deserves to be allstar but won't make it this seson

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:04 pm
Well if Baron doesn't make the allstar team, at least give him more love in the elimination thread! Ike may not get playing time, but Baron is carrying this team during his all star season!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:44 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well if Baron doesn't make the allstar team, at least give him more love in the elimination thread! Ike may not get playing time, but Baron is carrying this team during his all star season!

But Baron likely won't be allstar :mrgreen:

We just like Diogu :)

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:11 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well if Baron doesn't make the allstar team, at least give him more love in the elimination thread! Ike may not get playing time, but Baron is carrying this team during his all star season!

I certainly am and have been voting him every time I post in that thread. 8)

Return to Warriors Basketball