Warriors Now and Later

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:10 pm
We all have to look at the big picture and determine where this team is going to be in 3 years. My conclusion is that they'll be rebuilding once again and here is why.

Next season, the Warriors payroll will reach $62M. Assuming the cap increases to $55M from its current $53, the Warriors will still be well above that cap and thats with 11 players. The luxury tax will most likely be around $67M or so from the $65M this season. You have to add in the addition of the 07 first round pick and matching Pietrus' offers which would be for, at minimum, the MLE ($5.4M) or possibly more. They'll also have to consider re-signing Barnes who has proved, so far, that he belongs in this league and has played much better than Dunleavy who makes about $6.8M more. Trying to re-sign Mikael may already push them over the luxury tax threshold and in 2008, they have the task of trying to re-sign Monta Ellis with the same financial issues. We all know Cohan won't go over the luxury tax and as for this team goes, I don't blame him, since the Warriors are 1 of 5 teams in the top 20 (12th) payroll that will probably not make the playoffs which tells you about the talent level this team has.

In order to keep moving forward, this team may have to part ways with some key players and possibly even some future players. Dunleavy is all but immoveable with his overinflated contract versus his skill level. Murphy's time maybe short lived in the Bay Area, but the real task is to find a team that wants a 6'11 perimeter player that can't defend the chair I'm sitting in, is an overrated rebounder, injury prone, unathletic, is as slow as they come, and is owed $42M over the next 4 years. They ONLY way he has any value is to include one of the young players who are the opposite. Someone quick, athletic, has potential, and is underpaid. Yes...Monta Ellis. I know thats hard to swallow for a lot of fans, but its even harder to swallow and think what Murphy will be like in 2 years while making $10M. Lets not forget that Biedrins will be up for an extension in 08 also.

The plan looks like Mullin will be grooming Ellis to take over Baron's position when his time is up in Oakland, but lets face it, noone knows what Monta will be like in 3 years and thats a huge gamble. He may become the next Gilbert Arenas or Cuttino Mobley. Quick, 6'3 combo guards aren't that hard to come by and you don't even need a lottery pick. Lets not forget that Arenas was a 2nd round pick as with Ellis. Come draft day, combo guards just aren't in high demand unless your name is Dwayne Wade. Quincy Douby was the 19th pick in the draft last year and he plays a lot like Ellis. My point is that you can always get a combo guard but this maybe the only chance the Warriors have at getting rid of Dunleavy or Murphy's contract who could cripple the Warriors for the next 4-5 years. We all have to just concede that Foyle is here until his contract expires in 3 more years.

Its not a matter of keeping players that will possibly get them into the playoffs this season, but its building a team that can sustain a playoff run year after year. This is a short term team. They need solid role players and not a bunch of players thinking they're stars like Dunleavy.

An ideal trade would be:

Sending Troy Murphy, Monta Ellis, and Patrick O'Bryant to New Jersey for Jason Collins, Antoine Wright, Jeff McInnis, and Josh Boone.

This gives the Nets a solid starter at the PF that they need in Murphy. A young talent in Monta who can take over Carters spot when he bolts after this season. O'Bryant gives them a solid future back up to Kristic. For the Warriors...they get an expiring contract in McInnis which will come in handy if they wish to match any of Pietrus' offers this summer. Wright could be a solid back up 3 and gives them a shooter. Boone a solid back up PF to Ike and Collins would back up Biedrins while putting Foyle on the bench for good.

Chemistry-wise, this team may fair much better and is more mobile.

PG Davis - McCleod - McInnis
SG Richardson - Pietrus - Wright
SF Barnes - Dunleavy - Wright
PF Diogu - Boone - Foyle
C Biedrins - Collins - Foyle
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:13 pm
we get threads like this every week. My philosophy is that nothing is predictable and that the only way to win is to win. We should just try to win with what we have now and resign people as we go. Players don't want to play with a losing team.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:13 am
RUNTMC2007 wrote:Murphy's time maybe short lived in the Bay Area, but the real task is to find a team that wants a 6'11 perimeter player that can't defend the chair I'm sitting in, is an overrated rebounder, injury prone, unathletic, is as slow as they come, and is owed $42M over the next 4 years. They ONLY way he has any value is to include one of the young players who are the opposite. Someone quick, athletic, has potential, and is underpaid. Yes...Monta Ellis.

Seems like the only way to move either Murphy or dun or both is to include a young player like Monta in a trade. The salary cap situation you bring up is a very valid one and if it is that much of a problem (which it may well be soon), then I would not be against trading either one of Monta or JRich along with dun or Murphy or both if possible or someone good or even expirers! Just for the pure reason of getting rid of one if not two of the horrible contracts of players that no longer should have a chance to be starters on this team. If Pietrus and Barnes keep playing well and can be resigned for fairly cheap, that should cover for the loss of either Monta or JRich

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:24 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:we get threads like this every week. My philosophy is that nothing is predictable and that the only way to win is to win. We should just try to win with what we have now and resign people as we go. Players don't want to play with a losing team.

I'm with you. I'm tired of these threads that all proclaim the Apocolypse of Golden State. Enough, already.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:56 pm
McInnis was shipped out of NJ along with cash to the Bobcats for Bernard Robinson so this trade is a no. Plus, why would you ship out Monta when he has proved more than Wright, McInnis, and Boone have? POB already looks like he's promising enough over Collins.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:37 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:McInnis was shipped out of NJ along with cash to the Bobcats for Bernard Robinson so this trade is a no. Plus, why would you ship out Monta when he has proved more than Wright, McInnis, and Boone have? POB already looks like he's promising enough over Collins.

People always miss the point of me wanting to move Ellis. All they see is trading Monta away, but there's much more to it. About $42M or the next 4 years more. This maybe the ONLY way that the Warriors can entice any team to take on Murphy OR Dunleavy's contract which are both all but immoveable. Getting a young, quick, athletic, 6'3, combo guard isn't that hard. Just ask Sacramento who nabbed Quincy Douby in the late first round. The Warriors had another one in Gilbert Arenas in the second round. Delonte West was a last first rounder as with guys like Leadrinho Barbosa and Juan Dixon. My point is, it maybe easier to replace Monta with draft picks but this would be the ONE chance they have to get rid of a horrible contract with Troy or MDJ. Losing Monta while they still have Baron isn't going to be much of a blow, but keeping Troy or MDJ as their value goes down and their salary going up is going to spell financial doom for the next 4 years. Which would you rather have? Remember this is Chris Cohan and not Mark Cuban.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 pm
I don't think Monta should be an untouchable piece of Golden State. I've said many times, super-athletic combo guards are a dime a dozen. But I don't think proclaiming that "this entire Warriors team will fall apart" is exactly accurate.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 am
cohan is a PUSS, he rakes in money. hes no fan, hes in it for $$. why do you think we booed him at the 2000 all star game
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:34 am
I really want both dun and Murphy out as soon as possible! These guys are the worst players on the team right now, with Pietrus, Barnes, Diogu, Biedrins, Monta and Baron carrying the team. I'd even trade JRich or Baron along with one or both Murphy and dun! It would be addition by subtraction because this team will never be anything special with those two overpaid fools keeping the team from resigning the young guys, which will be what inevitably happens if the don't go very soon!

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:54 am
migya wrote:I really want both dun and Murphy out as soon as possible! These guys are the worst players on the team right now, with Pietrus, Barnes, Diogu, Biedrins, Monta and Baron carrying the team. I'd even trade JRich or Baron along with one or both Murphy and dun! It would be addition by subtraction because this team will never be anything special with those two overpaid fools keeping the team from resigning the young guys, which will be what inevitably happens if the don't go very soon!

I'm ok with any move as long as they re-sign Biedrins. That's the guy we have to keep. Monta could be moved... in the right trade. I mean, I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of some bad contracts. Addition by subtraction only works when your teams doesn't get worse with those trades.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:04 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I really want both dun and Murphy out as soon as possible! These guys are the worst players on the team right now, with Pietrus, Barnes, Diogu, Biedrins, Monta and Baron carrying the team. I'd even trade JRich or Baron along with one or both Murphy and dun! It would be addition by subtraction because this team will never be anything special with those two overpaid fools keeping the team from resigning the young guys, which will be what inevitably happens if the don't go very soon!

I'm ok with any move as long as they re-sign Biedrins. That's the guy we have to keep. Monta could be moved... in the right trade. I mean, I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of some bad contracts. Addition by subtraction only works when your teams doesn't get worse with those trades.

I agree. My point is that getting rid of at least ONE of the three bad contracts, right now I'm hoping Murphy because he gets paid the most and with him leaving (hopefully for an expirer) it gives more salary space to sign Biedrins and Monta (if he isn't involved in such a trade)

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:40 am
Noone is going to want Murphy straight up. Teams will either be asking that he'd be packaged with Biedrins or Monta. Athletic 7 footers with great hands are much harder to come by than 6'3 combo guards so I'd much rather offer Monta.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:15 pm
That's fine. But your big payoff for that trade would be Josh Boone...? :|
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:15 pm
RUNTMC2007 wrote:Noone is going to want Murphy straight up. Teams will either be asking that he'd be packaged with Biedrins or Monta. Athletic 7 footers with great hands are much harder to come by than 6'3 combo guards so I'd much rather offer Monta.

I've already said that Monta is the ideal guy to tag woth Murphy and/or dun in a trade because not only can you not trade either Murphy or dun by themselves (unless you get real lucky) but Monta will get huge offers from other teams and with the bad contracts that we have, he will not be resigned and will leave, much like Arenas did but the difference now is that Baron is here and so the team has a great backcourt already. Monta is expendable IF Mullin can get rid of Murphy and/or dun as well

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 pm
...and get a good/great and non-injury prone player in return.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball