I didn't know this about Ike.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:00 pm
#32 wrote:
coltraning wrote:32, that's a red herring. Latrell Sprewell? please - other than 1 comment from Nelson, there has been zero indication of any bad attitude by Ike. I would like to see some evidence before labeling Ike a malcontent. If anyone has displayed bitchy and moany personality it has been Dung, and I don't see him being analogized to Spree. (Btw, there were numerous reports as to Spree's vagrant psyche as early as his rookie year.)

What we do know is that nelson has had a series of conflicts with various personalities over the years, including being the only coach who had anything bad to say about Ewing (a cast that included Riley, Hubie Brown and jeff Van Gundy). I think it highly likely that Ike's "moping and complaining" would have surfaced before, whereas from marciulonis through Ewing, not to mention his holding Cohan up for millions, Nelson has a history of irascibility, putting players in the doghouse, playing favorites, and not liking big men who play a low post game (see manute and ewing shooting 3s).

I have watched Ike like a hawk, cause I think he is talented, plays with great spirit and has gotten a raw deal. As opposed to Dung, from whom I have witnessed petulant behavior on numerous occasions, I have never seen it from Ike on the court.

The fundamental reality is, Ike was rewarded for 2 games of excellent play (13 in 17 and 16 in 18 minutes) with a DNP. This is illogical unless he was injured or told Nelson he fuked his Mama. Diogu is our second leading scorer per 48 mins, leading rebounder per 48 minutes and 2nd leading fg% leader period. these #s are staggering, considering the sporadic and illogical and often rare minutes he gets. I would just like to see this gifted young man get consistent minutes at his natural position (4), say 25 minutes a game for 20 games. I don't think there is any secret that he would excel.

I have seen this again and again in this league(unappreciated talent prospering elsewhere), including with playoff mvp Chauncey Billups and most recently with Matt Barnes, and the last thing we need is another talented ex-warrior with a grudge lighting up the league in some other uniform. Like I said, perhaps Ike is a private "blamer" but I would just say it will take more than one Don nelson temper tantrum public shaming to convince me that Ike is a malcontent. With all the rumors on the internet, you think SOMETHING would have surfaced to confirm that by now. Nothing. There are several articles expressing mystification at why Diogu is in Nelson's doghouse, though. Btw, publicly calling out your players, ala Larry Brown, is a classless and dispiriting power play, whether it's Ike or Dung or Murphy whom Nelson is calling out. At least in the case of Dung and Murphy they also bitched publicly, so you could argue fair is fair.

I am glad the Ws are 17-16. I would like to see them do well, maybe even win a couple of games as an 8th seed. The playoffs are about 1/2 court and we need all the help we can get, and Ike is the ONLY W with a credible low post game. So Free (i.e. play) Ike Diogu...or trade him, cause the kid deserves to play. :?

We knew this going into the season; it's Don Nelson's way or the highway.

Dunleavy is a complainer... but not to his teammates (save for his single, snide comment about Baron last season). Bitching about foul calls is one thing. Blaming your teammates for your mistakes it another.

You nor I know the truth of the situation because all we see are the on-court results. But many things go into a basketball players. Before and after game times, practice times, travel conversation, bench conversation, half-time attitude, ect... all of those things go into what Nelson has said about Ike Diogu.

Does Diogu seem like a complainer on the floor? Tough to say. As charismatic as the kid is, he's also been seen (several times) cutting down his teammates. I won't cite other people's examples, but (from my own standpoint), I've seen Ike yell at Mike Dunleavy when Jr told him to set a screen, I've seen Ike get on Biedrins' ass after the other team hit an easy dunk inside (on Ike's side, by the way), and I've seen Ike walk straight to the bench and roll his eyes when he doesn't get enough touches. Is Diogu a complainer? No fan can say for sure. But it certainly doesn't look out of this world for Nelson to say something like that.

Besides, this is getting way out of hand. Don Nelson has practically blue-printed what he doesn't like about Diogu in the papers. If Ike's reading what I read, than he knows that all he needs to do in order to get more playing time is this: (a) learn the playbook and (b) stop blaming his teammates.

People here are acting like Nelson's got a personal vendetta against some 20-year-old kid that he's never met before this season! Which sounds crazier: that Ike doesn't know where to be, that Ike blames his teammates, or that Don Nelson (personally) has it out for Ike Diogu after only 3 months??

It's not rocket science and it won't take months of work to accomplish: if Ike learns where he's suppose to be and keeps his mouth shut, Nelson will play him. It's that simple. Why is everyone here having such a hard time accepting that? This isn't Nelson's fault; it's clearly Ike's.

Nelson has spelled out (he's practically spoon-fed) what it will take for Ike to get playing time... and, still, Diogu doesn't listen. Whose fault is that?


Well, we could go back and forth on this forever, but I think my argument and yours side by side make our cases well enough. I have seen none of the on-court complaining you speak of from Ike, and btw, Dunleavy has taken several veiled shots at his teammates in the press as well as a number of oncourt bitching out sessions, ofen when HE has blown a defensive assignment or thrown a bad pass. However, in the end it really depends whether you accept your premise that Ike is an obdurate dude who will not listen and that is why Nelson doesn't play him or mine: Ike is an overproducer in the limited minutes he gets and Nelson's actions are consistent with a 30 year career of not liking inside post play (see Ewing, Cummings, etc) and capriciously putting players in the doghouse. That's the basic disagreement and like I said, until I hear from a source other than Nelson that ike is a "blamer" I am a Missourian.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:42 pm
Nelly is very moody. Nelly can hold a grudge. nelly will fist fight his players (Vince Askew and Mario Elie). But Nelly hate the most is to lose. I feel that nelly would play Ike more if he thought that would help the team win. I remember nelly playing Sprewell the entire game for several games in a row. not because he like Spree's personality, but because it gave the team the best chance to win. i think the only person that Nelly is afraid to piss off is Dunleavy. Dunleavy needs DNP-CD every now and then but his contract demands that he play or Mullins will look bad. The same with Troy.

Did you see Troy last night? he couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a handful rice. I swear you could not slide a sheet of typing paper underneath his feet win he jumps to make an inside basket. This guy has no hops at all. But his contract demands that he play.

I understand what the Warriors are doing with these guys. you have to showcase them in order to prove trade value. DNP-CD players do not get traded.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:43 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Nelly is very moody. Nelly can hold a grudge. nelly will fist fight his players (Vince Askew and Mario Elie). But Nelly hate the most is to lose.

Precisely.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:55 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote: i think the only person that Nelly is afraid to piss off is Dunleavy. Dunleavy needs DNP-CD every now and then but his contract demands that he play or Mullins will look bad. The same with Troy.

Did you see Troy last night? he couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a handful rice. I swear you could not slide a sheet of typing paper underneath his feet win he jumps to make an inside basket. This guy has no hops at all. But his contract demands that he play.

I understand what the Warriors are doing with these guys. you have to showcase them in order to prove trade value. DNP-CD players do not get traded.

since we are quoting reggie, do you agree with this part, 32?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 pm
coltraning wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote: i think the only person that Nelly is afraid to piss off is Dunleavy. Dunleavy needs DNP-CD every now and then but his contract demands that he play or Mullins will look bad. The same with Troy.

Did you see Troy last night? he couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a handful rice. I swear you could not slide a sheet of typing paper underneath his feet win he jumps to make an inside basket. This guy has no hops at all. But his contract demands that he play.

I understand what the Warriors are doing with these guys. you have to showcase them in order to prove trade value. DNP-CD players do not get traded.

since we are quoting reggie, do you agree with this part, 32?

Some... but not all of it.

First of all, I agree with the fact that Murphy had an awful game. Absolutely horrid showing. And the fact that he has no hops if pretty well documented, too.

Reggie makes a great point about how DNP players not getting traded, also. It would behoove the Warriors to get Murphy as impressive-looking as possible, to maybe stir up a trade. I'm all for that.

But Nelly being intimidated by Mike Dunleavy....?

Missed me on that one, Regg...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 am
#32 wrote:Reggie makes a great point about how DNP players not getting traded, also. It would behoove the Warriors to get Murphy as impressive-looking as possible, to maybe stir up a trade. I'm all for that.


Well, if they play and suck, their trade value don't improve much... It's better not to play them than just play them for the sake of it. When they can't perform, you're hurting both the team's chances to win and to trade them.

All Star
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:


Well, if they play and suck, their trade value don't improve much... It's better not to play them than just play them for the sake of it. When they can't perform, you're hurting both the team's chances to win and to trade them.


I agree.

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:29 am
32 says Ike is an eye-rolling complainer that yells at his team mates and is not exactly a beloved person.

Not an innocent kid being kicked around by a sometimes irrational bully?

Hmmm. Sort of different than what I, for one, have assumed, eh?

Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:58 am
From the end of an article in "Inside Bay Area" Talks about Nelson's thoughts on Ike at the last sentence.

TIP-INS: The Warriors will likely cut rookie guard Kelenna Azubuike on Jan.9, the day before all contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season, and then sign him to a 10-day contract — giving the team more time to see if they want to keep him. They can sign him to two 10-day contracts before having to pay him for the remainder of the season. In his first NBA start he had 15 points, five rebounds, a steal and a block in 24 minutes. ... Forward Ike Diogu spent his second consecutive game in warm-up attire. Nelson said before the game Diogu has problems posting against longer players who tend to stay on their feet, such as Memphis' Gasol.

I say, how would Nellie know since he's never given him the chance?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:46 am
jsw548 wrote:From the end of an article in "Inside Bay Area" Talks about Nelson's thoughts on Ike at the last sentence.

TIP-INS: The Warriors will likely cut rookie guard Kelenna Azubuike on Jan.9, the day before all contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the season, and then sign him to a 10-day contract — giving the team more time to see if they want to keep him. They can sign him to two 10-day contracts before having to pay him for the remainder of the season. In his first NBA start he had 15 points, five rebounds, a steal and a block in 24 minutes. ... Forward Ike Diogu spent his second consecutive game in warm-up attire. Nelson said before the game Diogu has problems posting against longer players who tend to stay on their feet, such as Memphis' Gasol.

I say, how would Nellie know since he's never given him the chance?

err...yeah. Though I am glad Ike didn't mess up Nellie's crackerjack defensive scheme. I mean, 144 points allowed is bad enough, just imagine what would have happened if Ike had been allowed to play :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:49 am
carlgo wrote:32 says Ike is an eye-rolling complainer that yells at his team mates and is not exactly a beloved person.

Not an innocent kid being kicked around by a sometimes irrational bully?

Hmmm. Sort of different than what I, for one, have assumed, eh?

different than what I have seen or read, but you can read the discussion between 32 and me on that. He definitely has asserted that. I haven't seen it. For what it's worth, the public comments about Ike are far more affectionate than what I read about Dung, for example. Some enterprising journalist should get to the bottom of this, cause there is probably a good story in there and it would be nice to know the rationale for 2 consecutive DNPs following directly on Ike's 2 most productive games of the year (31 points in 35 minutes).
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 am
jsw548 wrote:Nelson said before the game Diogu has problems posting against longer players who tend to stay on their feet, such as Memphis' Gasol.


That sounds utterly ridiculous after allowing 144 points. Ike can score against anyone. He can't defend much, but nobody does it anyway... Nellie better starts working on another lame excuse to not play Ike.

All Star
Posts: 2804
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:46 pm
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:47 am
TMC wrote:
jsw548 wrote:Nelson said before the game Diogu has problems posting against longer players who tend to stay on their feet, such as Memphis' Gasol.


That sounds utterly ridiculous after allowing 144 points. Ike can score against anyone. He can't defend much, but nobody does it anyway... Nellie better starts working on another lame excuse to not play Ike.


I tend to recall that Ike's breakout game last year came against a "long" Rasheed Wallace in Detroit.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 am
n Coach Nelson's ever-changing rotation plan, Ike Diogu seems to have slipped behind Adonal Foyle.
Diogu has taken two straight DNP-CDs, and before Wednesday's game Nelson said that Diogu has difficulty posting up against longer players who stay on their feet and Pau Gasol qualifies as this type. Don't despair yet as the world according to Nelson can change on a dime. Jan. 4 - 11:09 am et
Source: Contra Costa Times

anybody got a dime?:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:52 pm
TMC wrote:
jsw548 wrote:Nelson said before the game Diogu has problems posting against longer players who tend to stay on their feet, such as Memphis' Gasol.


That sounds utterly ridiculous after allowing 144 points. Ike can score against anyone. He can't defend much, but nobody does it anyway... Nellie better starts working on another lame excuse to not play Ike.



That was a disrespect by Nelson if it is what he said! What garbage
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests