Barnes' Breakout Season... A Good Thing?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Is Matt Barnes helping or hurting Golden State?

Helping. He's a good, productive player.
55%
Helping. Anything to keep Dunleavy on the bench.
36%
Hurting. The record speaks for itself.
9%
Who cares? I don't think Barnes effects the Warriors that much.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:06 am
#32 wrote:Hey, just to put a new twist on this thread... would anybody say that Matt Barnes has, so far, been the kind of player we've always wanted Mike Dunleavy to be...?

No. We're happy with Barnes 'cos nobody expected much from him, so he's having a hell of a season. It would be different if Barnes were a #3 pick that was supposed to turn the team around. People wouldn't boo so much, but still would have been some resentment from a #3 pick being just a role player.

Is it fair?. No... but it happens.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:00 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Hey, just to put a new twist on this thread... would anybody say that Matt Barnes has, so far, been the kind of player we've always wanted Mike Dunleavy to be...?

No. We're happy with Barnes 'cos nobody expected much from him, so he's having a hell of a season. It would be different if Barnes were a #3 pick that was supposed to turn the team around. People wouldn't boo so much, but still would have been some resentment from a #3 pick being just a role player.

Is it fair?. No... but it happens.

Great question and great answer.

Barnes and Dunleavy are two different types of players; Barnes has NBA talent and Dunleavy does not.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:31 pm
Mike has actually been pretty effective off the bench this season. Just not 3rd overall effective. Cut his contract in half and I\d say he was a nice part of the team. He\s turned a few games around for us this season.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:08 pm
cladden wrote:Mike has actually been pretty effective off the bench this season. Just not 3rd overall effective. Cut his contract in half and I\d say he was a nice part of the team. He\s turned a few games around for us this season.

absolutely - as a 2nd round solid off the bench guy making a lower level salary, no issues with Dung. As a grossly overpaid 3rd pick he looks like a major underachiever. It's exactly why, as others have said, Barnes is such a pleasant surprise, same way everyone felt about Cardinal and Earl Boykins, and why Joe Smith, Donyell Marshall, Todd Fuller and Joe Barry were so vilified - perception is 9/10ths of the awe (or lack thereof).
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:15 pm
coltraning wrote:absolutely - as a 2nd round solid off the bench guy making a lower level salary, no issues with Dung. As a grossly overpaid 3rd pick he looks like a major underachiever. It's exactly why, as others have said, Barnes is such a pleasant surprise, same way everyone felt about Cardinal and Earl Boykins, and why Joe Smith, Donyell Marshall, Todd Fuller and Joe Barry were so vilified - perception is 9/10ths of the awe (or lack thereof).

Except Todd Fuller sucks, no matter where... He sucked as a first rounder, and would suck as an undrafted free agent.

Guess this means I like Dun better than Fuller. See?. I can give the man props, too. :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:24 pm
todd fuller even sucks in australia, I didn't know it was possible
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:15 pm
cladden wrote:Mike has actually been pretty effective off the bench this season. Just not 3rd overall effective. Cut his contract in half and I\d say he was a nice part of the team. He\s turned a few games around for us this season.

That's it!

dun is a #3 pick and that is what makes him such a bust! If he was a middle of the 1st round pick or a 2nd rounder, he'd be decent as a role player, maybe

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:17 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:todd fuller even sucks in australia, I didn't know it was possible

I'll assume this wasn't a low blow Pesty :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 am
He's proving to be a very valuable player!!! I dunno know how long his contract is? Maybe it's just going to be guaranteed till the end of the season??? But some team will make an offer to this guy maybe not a big contract but enough to maybe make the W's salary cap situation a little bit more difficult!!!

Ellis, MP and Barnes fit very well in Nellie's system!!! I don't see that even with a healthy JR. The two main scorers last season were JR and Baron. Plus JR has proven his ball handling is not that great so it makes it hard for him to create shots in the wide open game...I personally think it will be hard to see the old JR of old scoring 23-24 points a game!!! He'll have a hard time even getting 18-19 pts a game!!!

Keep a eye on Barnes on the offseason!!! We need to retain this guy big time!!! His game reminds me of a poor man's Marion!!!

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 am
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:todd fuller even sucks in australia, I didn't know it was possible

I'll assume this wasn't a low blow Pesty :wink:

He is still playing? How embarrassing. In reference to the low blow, he must have blackmail videos on basketball executives and coaches all around the world.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball