David Pogue on netiquette.

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 pm
To me what is far more unacceptable for a "mod" is the use of the N'word and trying to justify it's use, even though he still used it in a degrading context :banghead: And then not be respectful enough to accept and acknowledge how disrespectful and offensive it is, which would have squashed the incident and showed class and character instead of
trying to ignorantly blow it off by comparing the historically hurtful term to calling someone fat or a sh*thead and try to make it seem like I am the one trippin :shock:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:14 pm
Certainly seems like #32 has a great deal invested in his opinion on this subject. I'm certainly not going to go back over it in that much detail ... except to see if ya'll recall that the quitting reference had to do with when
#32 announced that he was quitting the board ... and then didn't.
As I recall, his comment when approached on the subject, his explanation of his reason for quitting had to do with the "passing" of his father.

In addition, I've noticed, I think accurately and without wanting to do any additional research or regurgitation of the past, #32 seems to me to be a person who regularly says one thing and does another. He regularly approaches the subject as if He Knows exactly what the subject is and as if his opinion is the only possibly correct one. The reason for my comment about reading your own posts as though they were written to you is a simple one. From my perspective, you are mostly talking to yourself.
What you say to me is often just totally "irrelevant" ... "off the subject" ... etc.

Your recent comment about me somehow being a "failure" is just something else other than the true facts of my existance. Did you want to demonstrate my failure ... at the line? How you going to do that? Did you want to demonstrate my failure on some other subject? How you going to do that? By pointing out that three or four or five people are tired of my thread about free throws. OK. If you think that's what the discussion is about then that's what the discussion is about ... for YOU.

My comeback is ALWAYS the SAME ... and for you there is ALWAYS little or no ON POINT response. Demonstrate your skill at the line. In all of this very few people that I'm aware of have even been tempted or inspired ... to improve their free throws. And that's my fault?

OK

To me ... the best way to "shutup" the old man would be to demonstrate one's prowess at the free throw line. Anything else is just TALK ... isn't it?
Is that thought wrong ? The test of a thing is the ability to do it? To walk the walk as opposed to talking the talk ... as opposed to talking about something else entirely as though it had ANYTHING to do with the skill of making a free throw.

The test of a good Christian would be their behavior? Their demonstrated love and affection for their fellow man. A good Christian wouldn't claim that they were a good Christian except when an old man talks too much about free throws ? Would they? Would a good Christian "perform" like something else besides a good Christian and then blame it on somebody else?

My notion includes that if they did they wouldn't really be studying the word and the man in whom they claim to believe. My notion also includes that that sort of behavior, also too typical, is the kind of thing that a Non Christian would too often point to as their good reason for not being a Christian. Too many Christians are hypocritical in the profession of their beliefs. They don't walk the walk.

I continue to wonder why people who demonstrate they can't make their free throws protest against someone who can?

Ah well.

It should be fairly clear by now. My conversation is not likely to be very effective in converting #32 or Pestilence and/or perhaps even several others. I'm OK with that. How 'bout you?

TMC wrote:And to think this has evolved from a thread on etiquette... :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:37 pm
Bob, I'm done arguing with you. And I have been for a while. There's no sense in trying to start things back up. It's over. Move on.

My gripe now lies solely with migya for falsely accusing me of things I didn't do. Stay out of my business as I've stayed out of yours.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:54 pm
One of the nice things about what I do, have done, is I often
get Great EMails and occasionally publish them.

This is a series of them recieved long ago. {10 years or so}
http://www.socool.com/interact/messiah.html

This is one I received today.

Christians - By Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Share this with somebody who already has this understanding, as reinforcement. But more importantly, share this with those who do not have a clear understanding of what it means to be a Christian, so that the myth that Christians think they are "perfect" or "better than others"can be dispelled.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:32 am
#32, you are no longer funny. All you did with your long post at the end of the previous page was to select what you liked from each post and left out the rest which shows you as being more pushy.

I'm not going to go into a long, bitch debate, I have better things to do.

As I said, this has no substance and things should move on

migya make the ring fall on ya
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:58 am
#32 wrote:Bob, I'm done arguing with you. And I have been for a while.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:38 am
I think its safe to say you're all assh*les (in the most pleasant sense of the word). Maybe thats why I like it here so much?

I just read through what I typed and the above makes very little sense but made me laugh at myself so I'll leave it up....aaaaanyways.

Back to the netiquette topic. Theres only ever been one forum I've been a member of where there were actual (real world) repurcusions for people who went to far. That forum is http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/

Other then this one example almost every other forum I've frequented a core of trouble makers.

As for my opinion of all this....It doesn't really bother me until it starts to get personal. There is a line there that I personally wouldn't cross.

Cheers.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 am
breezer_79 wrote:I think its safe to say you're all assh*les

It "may" be safe to say that YOU are an assh*le :mrgreen: ...

or

maybe #32 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
and/or Pestilence

But, I agree. It does seem that most forums are at least partially populated by folks who exercise the freedom to be jerks and assh*les ... and others
who beg them not to.

hehehehe

I'm not sure, however, that this is ever without "consequence."

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:10 pm
SoCooLBob wrote:It "may" be safe to say that YOU are an assh*le :mrgreen: ...

or

maybe #32 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
and/or Pestilence

This is the type of snide, under his breath comments that Bob's been making since September. Even this recent scuffle died about a week ago... and Bob's STILL trying to mix it up.

Yet, people like migya refuse to incriminate him the way he would against me or Pest. If Pest (or, God forbid, #32!!! :shock: ) made any sort of comment like this, we'd get repremanded by at least one person. And Bob is blameless, throughout this whole thing. Very normal. :roll:

As long as the double standard lives, Bob is free to keep starting trouble.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:22 pm
#32 wrote:This is the type of snide, under his breath comments that Bob's been making since September. Even this recent scuffle died about a week ago... and Bob's STILL trying to mix it up.

Yet, people like migya refuse to incriminate him the way he would against me or Pest. Very normal. :roll:

I have to agree with #32 this time. This came from nowhere, Bob. Don't try to disguise an attack under a joke. This one was unprovoked.

I said that I didn't like Pest's satire because I considered it a veiled attack against your thread. Well, this time it's the other way around.

Stop this non-sense spat and let it die...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 am
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:This is the type of snide, under his breath comments that Bob's been making since September. Even this recent scuffle died about a week ago... and Bob's STILL trying to mix it up.

Yet, people like migya refuse to incriminate him the way he would against me or Pest. Very normal. :roll:

I have to agree with #32 this time. This came from nowhere, Bob. Don't try to disguise an attack under a joke. This one was unprovoked.

I said that I didn't like Pest's satire because I considered it a veiled attack against your thread. Well, this time it's the other way around.

Stop this non-sense spat and let it die...

I totally agree and didn't see what was written because that post was filled with Bob's animated pics which make it harder to rread (and makes you want to skip reading a bit).

Bob, same goes for you, stop inciting spats!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:37 am
coltraning wrote:I am guessing socool meant a joke, fellas...I hope so :roll:

SoCooLBob wrote:If "we" lose our sense of humor ... then we've really lost something EXTREMELY VALUABLE !!!

1) Evaluate the situation correctly
2) Whose "brain" is coming up with this "negative" connotation?
3) Who is really to "blame"
4) Who is to be responsible for their own brain?

Lose your sense of humour ?
Blame it on me?
Anything you can do once, you can do over and over and over.
Do it correctly. The ball goes in.
Last edited by SoCooLBob on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:43 am
SoCooLBob wrote:
coltraning wrote:I am guessing socool meant a joke, fellas...I hope so :roll:

Then what #32 and Pest go on about is a joke to then and nothing for you to get angry about Bob. These things are best just staying away from "joking" for a while

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:49 am
I am not angry.
Were you thinking I was angry?
I am definitely not angry.

I am about as totally detached from these negative reactions as one could be.

This little item has a meaning.

This little item is supposed to have a meaning.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is the quarterback responsible if the receiver drops the ball?

SoCooLBob wrote:If "we" lose our sense of humor ... then we've really lost something EXTREMELY VALUABLE !!!

So ... "your" recommendation would be that "I" should lose my sense of humor too?

TMC wrote:And to think this has evolved from a thread on etiquette... :mrgreen:

#32 wrote:This is the type of snide, under his breath comments that Bob's been making since September.

Actually ... this series of comments is NOW

breezer_79 wrote:I think its safe to say you're all assh*les (in the most pleasant sense of the word). Maybe thats why I like it here so much?

Actually ... my version of what is going on in your brain is that "it" is going on in your brain.

Actually ... my version is that YOU are response-bible {Oh Look! A Brand New Word!} for what is going on in your brain ... not me.

You can "get it" or not.

My version is that "it" is YOUR Choice.

My version is that I am not, nor am I going to accept responsibility for the way YOU think.

Animations Or Knot :mrgreen:

#32 wrote:Bob, I'm done arguing with you. And I have been for a while.

This Show's A Two !!!
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fOX0c-4UnXU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="340" height="280"></embed>

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Forum