WHats the deal with roberson sittin the bench?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who is better: Roberson or Barnes?

Roberson
6%
Barnes
94%

Total votes : 18

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:53 pm
#32 wrote:
robersonSHOULDstart wrote:
#32 wrote:
robersonSHOULDstart wrote:i love how you bring defense into the mix, considering the warriors are in the bottom five in the league in points given up. you are a truly brilliant man to throw that in there. please, try me again when you know what your talking about

That's purely because Nelson's style makes for more possessions. Look at the Phoenix Suns.

Golden State is currently 1st, in team blocks per game (6.23) and 5th in team steals per game (8.16). Do your research before trying to make someone else look bad.

robersonSHOULDstart wrote:thank you, someone sees my point. all im saying is if don gives him minutes, he has the ability to put up 20 any given night.

::lol:

wow, u really dont know what your talking about. SO they get steals and blocks, we still give up practically the most points in the nba

And, yet, our differential in points is still higher than our opponents... weeeeeird. :roll:

"So we block a lotta shots and get a lot of steals... it doesn't mean we play good defense!"

:thumbleft: Amazing logic.

bro, the warriors are no good at defense, give it up
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:31 pm
What, exactly, do you base this on? Purely points allowed per game?

I've already explained it; the Warriors play at a faster pace, which makes for more possessions, and, in turn, a higher scoring game (on both sides of the coin). Just because the Warriors allow 100 points a night doesn't mean they don't play good defense. If a team can score 100 shooting 40% from the field, they'll take that every night.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:21 am
Defense is broken down into different parts of the game. To base it on, points allowed, which seems to be your case, shows what stats and games you've been watching. The Warriors allow so many points because of the tempo they play. Why else do you think such a powerhouse in Phoenix lets the opposition score over 100 more than 95% of the time? The Warriors play defense, regardless of the score. You wanna talk defense? Tell someone like Steve Nash that.

This is going towards the Roberson fan, not you 32.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:23 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Defense is broken down into different parts of the game. To base it on, points allowed, which seems to be your case, shows what stats and games you've been watching. The Warriors allow so many points because of the tempo they play. Why else do you think such a powerhouse in Phoenix lets the opposition score over 100 more than 95% of the time? The Warriors play defense, regardless of the score. You wanna talk defense? Tell someone like Steve Nash that.

Yep. And btw, regarding Roberson... anyone else thinks he's the second coming of Jannero Pargo? :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:53 am
The whole thing about being a successful basketball team is to take to your strengths and stay away from your weaknesses. You've gotta make the other team play your style and you have to be so good at what you do that no other team, or not many at least, can stay with you. This is what the Phoenix Suns are doing this season and have done in a way the last two seasons before this one. The Warriors are similar but just have to improve on certain aspects, like rebounding which is something the Suns do well, and they wil win much more than they are now. It can be seen that the team plays defense decently at times, shoots well often and runs well often as well. The signs are there that the team is going in the right direction

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:14 am
TMC wrote:Yep. And btw, regarding Roberson... anyone else thinks he's the second coming of Jannero Pargo? :wink:

No. I think he's the second coming of Aaron Miles - but with less handles and a better shot.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Defense is broken down into different parts of the game. To base it on, points allowed, which seems to be your case, shows what stats and games you've been watching. The Warriors allow so many points because of the tempo they play. Why else do you think such a powerhouse in Phoenix lets the opposition score over 100 more than 95% of the time? The Warriors play defense, regardless of the score. You wanna talk defense? Tell someone like Steve Nash that.

good points by both of you. Another interesting wrinkle in the Suns game scheme is their utter aversion to fouling because it slows the pace. So many times I have seen the opposition pound and grind for a bucket and then Nash and marion turn around to score on them in 2 seconds. Denver, Phoenix and Ws are all embracing the outrun, outscore model, offense as defense, which is why they are the 3 highest scoring teams in the league. I know you have all heard that Karl practices with a 16 second shot clock for the Nuggets, and with AI, the pace will increase even more...I will take 115-114 any day of the week. such a blessed relief after all those 73-72 Pistons-Pacers games...reminds me of how refreshing the 49ers offense was after all the 3 yards and a cloud of dust teams.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:37 pm
I've watched the Suns alot on NBA league pass... and ye sthey do a lot of things better than the Warriors do...hell better than the Nuggets & Raptors ... Besides rebounding, there is one noticeable thing that Suns can do that both Warriors and Nuggets struggle at..

Half Court offense... Nash never tries to cross anybody over (Maybe because he can't) but he uses the Pick N Roll with such deadly force with the likes of Marion and Amare, that they can go a several series running half courts sets by running P&R and cutting Marion... Nash runs it very well, and Diaw does his part...

Our Half court offense is someone running around a pick and shooting a jumper, or Baron penetrating. However, I do think that Baron and AB pick & Roll at times is dangerous. Too bad, neither Ike, or Murphy can roll the same way...or finish the same way.... (Ike is still learning, but Murphy, is just a perimeter shooter now)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:26 pm
~W~ wrote:I've watched the Suns alot on NBA league pass... and ye sthey do a lot of things better than the Warriors do...hell better than the Nuggets & Raptors ... Besides rebounding, there is one noticeable thing that Suns can do that both Warriors and Nuggets struggle at..

Half Court offense... Nash never tries to cross anybody over (Maybe because he can't) but he uses the Pick N Roll with such deadly force with the likes of Marion and Amare, that they can go a several series running half courts sets by running P&R and cutting Marion... Nash runs it very well, and Diaw does his part...

Our Half court offense is someone running around a pick and shooting a jumper, or Baron penetrating. However, I do think that Baron and AB pick & Roll at times is dangerous. Too bad, neither Ike, or Murphy can roll the same way...or finish the same way.... (Ike is still learning, but Murphy, is just a perimeter shooter now)

Well said. I think Diogu and Biedrins can make the half court offense very effective. Diogu has the post skills and Biedrins is learning them and has great hands and quickness around the basket. With slashers and shooter like Baron, Monta, JRich and Pietrus out there, half court offense could potentially be real good

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 pm
~W~ wrote:I've watched the Suns alot on NBA league pass... and ye sthey do a lot of things better than the Warriors do...hell better than the Nuggets & Raptors ... Besides rebounding, there is one noticeable thing that Suns can do that both Warriors and Nuggets struggle at..

It's true. We need to get a reliable half-court set. If the opponent forces us into a half-court game, we fizz out. Either learn to keep the tempo to our style the entire game or learn some half court offense strategies.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:31 pm
John Patrick wrote:

It's true. We need to get a reliable half-court set. If the opponent forces us into a half-court game, we fizz out. Either learn to keep the tempo to our style the entire game or learn some half court offense strategies.

Yeah. We mostly rely on Baron to do the job because he plays the majority of the game. But who do they go to when they get trapped? No one other than Baron really is reliable. You could say Dun sometimes but guys like Monta and Jrich struggle to handle the ball.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:08 am
John Patrick wrote:Either learn to keep the tempo to our style the entire game or learn some half court offense strategies.

Or both! You really have to be good at both to be a great nba team and the team is just learning to be that. Whether they become one or not is seen over the next three years

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:16 am
coltraning wrote:I know you have all heard that Karl practices with a 16 second shot clock for the Nuggets

and? D'antoni practices with a 7 second one :) :shock: [-o< :cheers: :drunken:
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:41 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
John Patrick wrote:

Yeah. We mostly rely on Baron to do the job because he plays the majority of the game. But who do they go to when they get trapped? No one other than Baron really is reliable. You could say Dun sometimes but guys like Monta and Jrich struggle to handle the ball.

Ike's perfect for those moments... when he plays, at least.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 am
Rating a defense is subjective, more like what you see than some mathmatical analysis.

I think it is obvious that it is too easy to score against the Ws.

There are too many uncontested shots by known good shooters, too many easy put-backs and too many career games by role players.

How many times have we heard about how Slow Joe Blow, career 2.4/game scorer just scored his 28th point? Or that nobody rotated over to guard Dead Eye Jones who makes 8 million a year for shooting 3-pointers?

Also, there is a lack of respect by the officials which comes from their own perceptions of how well the defense is playing. A team that is constantly being called for tickytack fouls is going to back off some or substitute in even worse defensive players.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball