WHats the deal with roberson sittin the bench?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who is better: Roberson or Barnes?

Roberson
6%
Barnes
94%

Total votes : 18

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:47 am
coltraning wrote:the only players on their team who consistently play any defense are Biedrins, Pietrus and Barnes (and Foyle in his utterly inelegant way)

:shock:

There's an elegant way to play defense?????
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:the only players on their team who consistently play any defense are Biedrins, Pietrus and Barnes (and Foyle in his utterly inelegant way)

yeah -think of Jordan...o.k., let me rephrase...Foyle is the antithesis of smoothly reacting defense
:?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 pm
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:

yeah -think of Jordan...o.k., let me rephrase...Foyle is the antithesis of smoothly reacting defense
:?

Silly me. I was thinking Bruce Bowen was the epitome of elegant defense. :oops:

:mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:27 pm
I think you guys are being a little unfair to Roberson. I see him play hard on defense. I see him drive to the hoop. The think is, like anyone else in his position, he knows he has to produce right away if he is going to stay in the game for any length of time. He is also a victim og his contract. He can sit and not ban embarassment to the GM. Once you get the reputation as a situational player it is hard to shake off. Kind of like getting the reputation as a utility infielder.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:30 pm
coltraning wrote:It is true indeed, that the Ws have a poor defense. However, the only players on their team who consistently play any defense are Biedrins, Pietrus and Barnes (and Foyle in his utterly inelegant way), so not playing Barnes would only hurt their defense even more. I love it when guys like Barnes come along, unsung worker bees who contribute far more than the hype or draft pick would indicate.

Right on!

Barnes brings alot and he has been one of the best players for the team lately! Nelson must really like this guy because he is about as efficient as you can get

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 am
Is this really a poll? Barnes is way better and Roberson is a huge ball hog. Only thing Roberson's got is a shot and so does Barnes, but Barnes can also rebound, pass (passing waived bye-bye to Roberson long ago), and play good D. Barnes is a very intense player... way more intense than Roberson.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:31 am
Josh Jamison wrote:Is this really a poll? Barnes is way better and Roberson is a huge ball hog. Only thing Roberson's got is a shot and so does Barnes, but Barnes can also rebound, pass (passing waived bye-bye to Roberson long ago), and play good D. Barnes is a very intense player... way more intense than Roberson.

Yeah, 13-1 is kinda like an old soviet-style election...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:58 pm
coltraning wrote:
Josh Jamison wrote:Is this really a poll? Barnes is way better and Roberson is a huge ball hog. Only thing Roberson's got is a shot and so does Barnes, but Barnes can also rebound, pass (passing waived bye-bye to Roberson long ago), and play good D. Barnes is a very intense player... way more intense than Roberson.

Yeah, 13-1 is kinda like an old soviet-style election...

Are you saying this is rigged? :-) Say Colt. What instrument/style are you playing?

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:I think you guys are being a little unfair to Roberson. I see him play hard on defense. I see him drive to the hoop. The think is, like anyone else in his position, he knows he has to produce right away if he is going to stay in the game for any length of time. He is also a victim og his contract. He can sit and not ban embarassment to the GM. Once you get the reputation as a situational player it is hard to shake off. Kind of like getting the reputation as a utility infielder.

thank you, someone sees my point. all im saying is if don gives him minutes, he has the ability to put up 20 any given night.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:I think you guys are being a little unfair to Roberson. I see him play hard on defense. I see him drive to the hoop. The think is, like anyone else in his position, he knows he has to produce right away if he is going to stay in the game for any length of time. He is also a victim og his contract. He can sit and not ban embarassment to the GM. Once you get the reputation as a situational player it is hard to shake off. Kind of like getting the reputation as a utility infielder.

thank you, someone sees my point. all im saying is if don gives him minutes, he has the ability to put up 20 any given night.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 pm
Yeah but even if Roberson did get time, someone would get less minutes. And by looking at this roster, no one deserves depleted playing time with the effort they have contributed so far this campaign. I still sustain my opinion on Roberson that he is a situational shooter that is most likely used during a necessary situation where the Warriors need the offense going. He does not have the ability to handle the ball up court and isn't a great passer. His passing ability is about the same as Jrich. Roberson is decent, but he will never be used more than he has already under Nellie. Now if it was Monty, it'd be a much different story.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:32 pm
robersonSHOULDstart wrote:i love how you bring defense into the mix, considering the warriors are in the bottom five in the league in points given up. you are a truly brilliant man to throw that in there. please, try me again when you know what your talking about

That's purely because Nelson's style makes for more possessions. Look at the Phoenix Suns.

Golden State is currently 1st, in team blocks per game (6.23) and 5th in team steals per game (8.16). Do your research before trying to make someone else look bad.

robersonSHOULDstart wrote:thank you, someone sees my point. all im saying is if don gives him minutes, he has the ability to put up 20 any given night.

::lol:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:27 pm
#32 wrote:
robersonSHOULDstart wrote:i love how you bring defense into the mix, considering the warriors are in the bottom five in the league in points given up. you are a truly brilliant man to throw that in there. please, try me again when you know what your talking about

That's purely because Nelson's style makes for more possessions. Look at the Phoenix Suns.

Golden State is currently 1st, in team blocks per game (6.23) and 5th in team steals per game (8.16). Do your research before trying to make someone else look bad.

robersonSHOULDstart wrote:thank you, someone sees my point. all im saying is if don gives him minutes, he has the ability to put up 20 any given night.

wow, u really dont know what your talking about. SO they get steals and blocks, we still give up practically the most points in the nba

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yeah but even if Roberson did get time, someone would get less minutes. And by looking at this roster, no one deserves depleted playing time with the effort they have contributed so far this campaign. I still sustain my opinion on Roberson that he is a situational shooter that is most likely used during a necessary situation where the Warriors need the offense going. He does not have the ability to handle the ball up court and isn't a great passer. His passing ability is about the same as Jrich. Roberson is decent, but he will never be used more than he has already under Nellie. Now if it was Monty, it'd be a much different story.

hey bro, i watched robersons whole career in college and now in the pros with memphis and now us. HE can handle the ball up court. I dont see him making to many turnovers, do you? All im saying is give him a shot at being a successful player
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 pm
robersonSHOULDstart wrote:
#32 wrote:

wow, u really dont know what your talking about. SO they get steals and blocks, we still give up practically the most points in the nba

And, yet, our differential in points is still higher than our opponents... weeeeeird. :roll:

"So we block a lotta shots and get a lot of steals... it doesn't mean we play good defense!"

:thumbleft: Amazing logic.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball