I didn't know this about Ike.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:07 am
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...


Why does that worry you?


You know, we have a story of making bad trades... Wouldn't be the first time we trade a good player that becomes a star for other team.

I'm not saying that's going to happen... but Nellie traded nearly everyone his first two seasons in Dallas.

All Star
Posts: 1218
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 am
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:It takes some time to get used to play together, and Ike has played so few minutes that he's probably having problems adjusting to his role on defense. But he has to man up and admit his own mistakes.

IF it was his fault. I'd like to know what play was the reason for the exchange...

I don't blame Ike for being tentative out there - he is on the shortest leash of any player on that team, now that Adonal is out of the dog house.


Ike seems to have a non-confrontational demeaner, but you never know how he is in private. We do know the, uh, unique personalities of Nelson and Dun. My guess is that they have gone over that defensive switch over and over and still he did not do it right.

In any case, Ike does indeed seem tentative. But, he is getting playing time, so he has a chance to prove himself valuable. And, he can look over to Foyle and say "Man, if AF can get out of the doghouse, I can, too".
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 am
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...


Why does that worry you?


You know, we have a story of making bad trades... Wouldn't be the first time we trade a good player that becomes a star for other team.

I'm not saying that's going to happen... but Nellie traded nearly everyone his first two seasons in Dallas.

I think Carlgo makes a good point that you can play yourself out of Nelson's doghouse. Look, he's an irascible, sarcastic, (maybe recovering) alcoholic dude, not the Dalai Lama. If Ike keeps having games like last night (13 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks and zero turnovers in 17 minutes) Nelson would have to be nuts to not give him more time.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 am
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...


Why does that worry you?


You know, we have a story of making bad trades... Wouldn't be the first time we trade a good player that becomes a star for other team.

I'm not saying that's going to happen... but Nellie traded nearly everyone his first two seasons in Dallas.

I think Carlgo makes a good point that you can play yourself out of Nelson's doghouse. Look, he's an irascible, sarcastic, (maybe recovering) alcoholic dude, not the Dalai Lama. If Ike keeps having games like last night (13 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks and zero turnovers in 17 minutes) Nelson would have to be nuts to not give him more time.


Problem is... Nellie, at times, GOES nuts.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1357
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:48 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...


Why does that worry you?


You know, we have a story of making bad trades... Wouldn't be the first time we trade a good player that becomes a star for other team.

I'm not saying that's going to happen... but Nellie traded nearly everyone his first two seasons in Dallas.

I think Carlgo makes a good point that you can play yourself out of Nelson's doghouse. Look, he's an irascible, sarcastic, (maybe recovering) alcoholic dude, not the Dalai Lama. If Ike keeps having games like last night (13 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks and zero turnovers in 17 minutes) Nelson would have to be nuts to not give him more time.


Problem is... Nellie, at times, GOES nuts.


I've known him to not get along with players. Never known him to not play players because of this. I think he's too much of a competitor to do that.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22002
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:55 pm
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
uptempo wrote:
TMC wrote:You know, what worries me is that Nellie has enough leeway to trade players. If he doesn't like someone, he can ask for a trade and the front office will try to please him...


Why does that worry you?


You know, we have a story of making bad trades... Wouldn't be the first time we trade a good player that becomes a star for other team.

I'm not saying that's going to happen... but Nellie traded nearly everyone his first two seasons in Dallas.

I think Carlgo makes a good point that you can play yourself out of Nelson's doghouse. Look, he's an irascible, sarcastic, (maybe recovering) alcoholic dude, not the Dalai Lama. If Ike keeps having games like last night (13 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks and zero turnovers in 17 minutes) Nelson would have to be nuts to not give him more time.



That's it. Nelson will keep playing Diogu the minuted that he has been playing him and it should rise to some 20mins a game in a week or two, if Diogu keeps performing the way he has been. Diogu is perhaps the most efficient player on the team and Barnes is looking that way to lately
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:42 pm
jsw548 wrote:I found this at the end of one the SF Chronicles articles on the Warriors. I hope Nellie was just interviewed when he was mad and that this isn't the reason he's shy on playing Ike. I thnk the world of Ike and I hope it's temporary.

Quote"

Nelson lit into forward Ike Diogu during a fourth-quarter timeout after catching an exchange between Diogu and Dunleavy following a basket by Kapono. "He needs to step up and have the onus on him when he makes a mistake and not blame everybody all the time," Nelson said. "He's a blamer and I just had enough of it, so he's going to have to grow up and stop that." Diogu said there had been a defensive miscommunication on the play. "(Coach) thought that we were arguing, so he basically said that's unacceptable with teammates."

I saw that exact exchange... and I've seen Ike do that sort of thing before. Teammates will have to direct him when it's time for him to set a screen... and he's kinda testy about being told what to do (probably because he's embarassed that he can't remember the playbook).

It's seriously worrying me that Ike doesn't know where to be. This happened all of last year. Monta seems to have caught onto the playbook... I wonder why Ike hasn't followed suit (and no one can claim it's from a lack of playing time; Diogu practices just as often as anyone).
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22002
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:15 pm
If Diogu seriously is not remembering things that Nelson syas and organises then that is a major problem and he has to fix that quick or he will not have a chance (with some reason) to play alot. It is strange that someone forgets something that they probably hear and see every second day (team practice) but if that is the case then that makes things different
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 pm
#32 wrote:
jsw548 wrote:I found this at the end of one the SF Chronicles articles on the Warriors. I hope Nellie was just interviewed when he was mad and that this isn't the reason he's shy on playing Ike. I thnk the world of Ike and I hope it's temporary.

Quote"

Nelson lit into forward Ike Diogu during a fourth-quarter timeout after catching an exchange between Diogu and Dunleavy following a basket by Kapono. "He needs to step up and have the onus on him when he makes a mistake and not blame everybody all the time," Nelson said. "He's a blamer and I just had enough of it, so he's going to have to grow up and stop that." Diogu said there had been a defensive miscommunication on the play. "(Coach) thought that we were arguing, so he basically said that's unacceptable with teammates."

I saw that exact exchange... and I've seen Ike do that sort of thing before. Teammates will have to direct him when it's time for him to set a screen... and he's kinda testy about being told what to do (probably because he's embarassed that he can't remember the playbook).

It's seriously worrying me that Ike doesn't know where to be. This happened all of last year. Monta seems to have caught onto the playbook... I wonder why Ike hasn't followed suit (and no one can claim it's from a lack of playing time; Diogu practices just as often as anyone).

yeah, if that's the case, that is a problem. I agree Ike has looked pretty clueless on defense, though his reaction time has been amazing on some blocks. I have never seen him get testy, though.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:44 pm
Ike is naturally talented, there's no question (and that's the reason he's in the game to begin with: because his natural talent can overshadow his inability to learn the playbook). I'm just thinking about how dangerous Ike would become if he DID learn the playbook... :shock:
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:14 pm
#32 wrote:Ike is naturally talented, there's no question (and that's the reason he's in the game to begin with: because his natural talent can overshadow his inability to learn the playbook). I'm just thinking about how dangerous Ike would become if he DID learn the playbook... :shock:

he'd be an easy 20/10 starter
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:15 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:Ike is naturally talented, there's no question (and that's the reason he's in the game to begin with: because his natural talent can overshadow his inability to learn the playbook). I'm just thinking about how dangerous Ike would become if he DID learn the playbook... :shock:

he'd be an easy 20/10 starter


I wouldn't imagine him getting 10 rebounds alongside Biedrins... but the 20 PPG could happen.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:19 pm
John Patrick wrote:
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:Ike is naturally talented, there's no question (and that's the reason he's in the game to begin with: because his natural talent can overshadow his inability to learn the playbook). I'm just thinking about how dangerous Ike would become if he DID learn the playbook... :shock:

he'd be an easy 20/10 starter


I wouldn't imagine him getting 10 rebounds alongside Biedrins... but the 20 PPG could happen.

could happen, o.k. maybe 8. even now, extrapolate his #s to 35 minutes a game and he's getting 8-9 boards and over 20 points. Assuming 32's premise that he learned the playbook (which would include defensive position) it's not implausible...
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:01 pm
John Patrick wrote:
coltraning wrote:he'd be an easy 20/10 starter


I wouldn't imagine him getting 10 rebounds alongside Biedrins... but the 20 PPG could happen.


I can... pending on how aggresive he plays. I just hope we have the chance to know.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:12 pm
coltraning wrote:
#32 wrote:Ike is naturally talented, there's no question (and that's the reason he's in the game to begin with: because his natural talent can overshadow his inability to learn the playbook). I'm just thinking about how dangerous Ike would become if he DID learn the playbook... :shock:

he'd be an easy 20/10 starter

I could see Ike Diogu put up the following (if he learned the playbook):

18.8 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 1.6 BPG, 56% FG, 79% FT
In 34.6 MPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest